Tost Ring Failure

Old June 12th 17, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

Default Tost Ring Failure

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 7:14:35 AM UTC-7, wrote:
That is true for the small ring! They are seamlessly rolled or forged but the large ring has to get through it somehow, so it starts its life as a piece or 'wire' which gets formed and its ends are then joined by electric resistance welding (look up 'chain making' on YouTube).
Today, I inspected all the large rings of the double ring pairs I have with our winch and all of them show the tell-tale signs of a weld opposite of the stamped name 'Tost'. At least a close visual did not show any cracks.. Maybe a simple 'dye-pen test is in order.

Uli
'AS'

I seem to remember having read that the rings are made that way without any form of welding now. I suppose you could get the exact method used if you agree to pay for the technical norm:

http://standards.globalspec.com/std/...7/din-ln-65091

It's cheaper than ordering from the original German institute: http://www..din.de/en/getting-involv...din21:84399512

Correct. Any connecting rings meeting Aeronautical Standard (LN) 65091 can't be welded.

Tost connecting rings pairs are made from steel fine cast. The small ring and large ring are casted into each other. This casting is an elaborate procedure.

Rings with welding seam are not from Tost and do not meet the Aeronautical Standard.

Sean Franke
Old June 13th 17, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

It's cheaper than ordering from the original German institute: http://www.din.de/en/getting-involve...din21:84399512

Correct. Any connecting rings meeting Aeronautical Standard (LN) 65091 can't be welded.

Tost connecting rings pairs are made from steel fine cast. The small ring and large ring are casted into each other. This casting is an elaborate procedure.

Rings with welding seam are not from Tost and do not meet the Aeronautical Standard.

Sean Franke

Web page has been reconstructed. It has new detailed pictures. It also has a standard dimensions diagram.

http://wingsandwheels.com/tost-double-tow-rings.html

Sean Franke
Old June 13th 17, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 7:56:05 PM UTC-4, Sean Franke wrote:
[...]

Confused; one header has "New Edition of LN 54091" vs LN65091. Is 54091 new?

Thank you for publishing the dimensions of the tow ring; must get busy with a micrometer this weekend!

Dan
Old June 13th 17, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Franke

On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 8:06:29 PM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
[...]

I shortened the heading from "New edition 2005 of LN 65091 (supersedes edition 1985-12)"

Sean Franke
Old June 15th 17, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On 11/06/2017 06:37, Benedict Smith wrote:
I have personally seen 3 tost ring failures at my gliding club this season,
(the
last one only about 3 hours ago!) these were all the large rings on the
strops,
not the ring pair that goes to the release,

The only TOST rings are the ones that go to the release. Any others are
from your club's local blacksmith shop.

Actual TOST ring failures are almost unheard of.

Tow ring attachment? Waveguru Soaring 7 May 25th 15 07:50 AM
Tost release failure Bill D Soaring 24 August 20th 13 10:49 AM
TOST Release Failure - Two Uncommanded Release's [email protected] Soaring 11 October 13th 12 10:23 AM
red ring of death larryo keeffecom Soaring 1 February 29th 12 03:50 PM
VW Flywheel O-ring [email protected] Home Built 0 April 6th 08 09:57 PM