Self Fly Gliders

Old October 18th 16, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Default Self Fly Gliders

http://www.popsci.com/new-software-l...inds-for-hours
Old October 19th 16, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pstrzel

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 1:12:25 PM UTC-6, Karl Striedieck wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/new-software-l...inds-for-hours

Well, there ya go. Soaring has just been automated. Autopilot, let's do a quick 300km triangle today. ;-)
Old October 19th 16, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Automobiles have not stopped people from running races, going for walks, and riding horses.

A robot that scouts for lift when I start to get low sounds good.

I would use this to fly safer and have more fun.
Old October 19th 16, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 8:12:25 PM UTC+1, Karl Striedieck wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/new-software-l...inds-for-hours

The OLC .igc files will soon be exploited to build a thermal source database!!
Old October 19th 16, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I think I'll stay home today and get in a good flight... Why bother to
go to the airport and actually drag my ship out of the hangar?

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 19th 16, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Work done by Mark Maughmers students at Penn State. John Bird and Jack Langellan earned an OSTIV diploma for their paper to the 2012 Congress which I believe started this line of work.

John presented at the SSA Convention in Greenville on autonomous Soaring. I was bummed that it was during the same time as my talk so I missed it.

Cool stuff! Maybe we should get them to sniff for us at contests.
Old October 20th 16, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Philip Dwyer[_2_]

At 19:12 18 October 2016, Karl Striedieck wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/new-software-l...urf-winds-for-

hours

Now that's been done, I wonder if its possible to design a glider that
would work on Mars?

Old October 20th 16, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pstrzel

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 7:36:55 AM UTC-6, Muttley wrote:
On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 8:12:25 PM UTC+1, Karl Striedieck wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/new-software-l...inds-for-hours

The OLC .igc files will soon be exploited to build a thermal source database!!

Soon? I found this a few years ago:

http://thermal.kk7.ch/
Old October 20th 16, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

related http://www.popularmechanics.com/flig...bot-fly-plane/
Old October 20th 16, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 2:12:25 PM UTC-5, Karl Striedieck wrote:
http://www.popsci.com/new-software-l...inds-for-hours

Yes! Automated soaring will be SAFER! Anyone against using this technology in sailplanes is anti-safety and wants people to die. I am going to get out ahead of the game and demand that this technology be mandatory for all U.S. contests from 2017 onward.

How gliders fly Frank Whiteley Soaring 6 March 19th 15 01:31 PM
L13/L23 gliders Pavel Rind Soaring 25 March 1st 11 06:09 AM
L 13/L13 A gliders Pavel Rind Soaring 0 February 23rd 11 08:23 AM
Gliders? Ben Jeffrey Soaring 1 September 3rd 08 09:25 PM
UK Gliders Jack Soaring 11 June 15th 06 03:50 AM