MSFS 2004 Video frame rate very slow

Old November 11th 05, 02:16 AM
Greg Brown

Default MSFS 2004 Video frame rate very slow

Hello all,

I have a video performance issue with MSFS 2004. To get started here
is my config:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2
P4 3 GHz Processor with 2 MB Level 2 cache
750 MB RAM
NVidia GForce FX 5500 256 MB Video Card
RADEON 7000 / RADEON VE 32 MB Dual Channel Video Card
3Dlabs, Inc Ltd 8MB PERMEDIA Video Card
30 GB 7200 RPM IDE Drive

I have four monitors:

21" DELL CRT -- Display 2 -- NVidia GForce FX 5500
Driver version
10/29/04 6.6.9.3

17" Sun CRT -- Display 4 -- RADEON 7000 / RADEON VE Video
Channel 1
Driver version
3/23/04 6.14.10.6462

17" Sun Flat panel -- Display 3 -- 3Dlabs, Inc Ltd 8MB PERMEDIA
Video Card
Driver version
6/6/01 5.1.2001.0

17" Sun Flat panel -- Display 1 -- RADEON 7000 / RADEON VE Video
Channel 2
Driver version
3/23/04 6.14.10.6462

Display 2 (Needs most quality and frame rate)
=======
Primary Windows Display
Outside Cockpit view (not virtual cockpit)
1024x768 32 Bit in Windows XP
1024x768 32 Bit in Flight Simulator
Target frame rate set to Unlimmited
Render to Texture checked
Transform and lighting unchecked
Anti-aliasing unchecked
Filtering set to None
MIP mapping quality set to 2
Hardware-rendered lights set to 1
Global max texture size set to Very Small

Display 4 (Does not need high quality or frame rate)
=======
Extended desktop to this Monitor in Display properties
Overhead Instrument Panel view in MSFS 2004
1024x768 16 Bit in Windows XP
1024x768 16 Bit in Flight Simulator
Target frame rate set to Unlimmited
Render to Texture unchecked
Transform and lighting unchecked
Anti-aliasing unchecked
Filtering set to None
MIP mapping quality set to None
Hardware-rendered lights set to 1
Global max texture size set to Very Small

Display 3 (Does not need high quality or frame rate)
=======
Extended desktop to this Monitor in Display properties
Primary Instrument Panel view in MSFS 2004
1024x768 16 Bit in Windows XP
800x600 16 Bit in Flight Simulator (My only option)
Target frame rate set to Unlimmited
Render to Texture unchecked
Transform and lighting unchecked
Anti-aliasing unchecked
Filtering set to None
MIP mapping quality set to None
Hardware-rendered lights set to 1
Global max texture size set to Very Small

Display 1 (Does not need high quality or frame rate)
=======
Extended desktop to this Monitor in Display properties
Secondary Instrument Panel view in MSFS 2004
1024x768 16 Bit in Windows XP
800x600 16 Bit in Flight Simulator (My only option)
Target frame rate set to Unlimmited
Render to Texture unchecked
Transform and lighting unchecked
Anti-aliasing unchecked
Filtering set to None
MIP mapping quality set to None
Hardware-rendered lights set to 1
Global max texture size set to Very Small

As you can see, I have removed as much overhead and only have the most
minimal graphics. The scenery settings are all set to the lowest,
weather is tuned down as well. I have noticed that when I just use the
Primary Display (Display 2 with the NVidea 256MB card) with no other
monitors activated within MSFS then I can get upto 75 frames per
second. (Using Shift Z twice will show you your frame rates withing
MSFS) Once I enable another monitor by dragging a instrument panel to
it or another display optiopn such as the GPS, etc, then the fram rate
drops significantly, now 20-30 FPS. I enable another monitor and drag
an item to it, the frame rate drops again, now 12-18 FBS. When I enable
the last monitor, I am now getting 3.5-8 FPS. Very slow and choppy.

I went out to the NVidea support site and there is no drivers (that I
can see) that I can download for this card. I have not updated the
drivers to the other 2 cards (yet). However, I am certain that that
will not make to much of an improvement. I also went into the NVidea
display properties for that card and did not see anything that stood
out.

My question are these:

1) Why would the frame rate drop on the primary display when I enable
other monitors?
2) Shouln't each monitor frame buffer (Video card) manage it's own
resources
3) Is there a work around for this?
4) I know that other people are running multiple display's, are they
running into the same problem?
5) What is the best practice within the hardware settings in MSFS?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Old November 11th 05, 08:24 PM
Quilljar

Greg,
I run three monitors and have no problems. Your setup sounds quite complex.
I think a much better newsgroup to ask this question would be

alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim

It is much more active than this one, and there are some extremely helpful
and knowledgeable people there.

Good Luck

Quilljar

16 Aug 2004 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 17th 04 12:37 AM
Frame Rate Dave Schwartz Simulators 1 January 18th 04 06:02 PM
Real World Specs for FS 2004 Paul H. Simulators 16 August 18th 03 09:25 AM