F/A-18F loadout for war-at-sea info needed for model project

Old January 20th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Matt Wiser

Default F/A-18F loadout for war-at-sea info needed for model project

I'm just about ready to add weapons to a Hasagawa 1/72 F/A-18F (decal option taken will be
VFA-2), and would like to do a war-at-sea load. Besides the two AIM-9X and two AIM-120s
that came with the kit, what weapons would be suitable for a mixed war-at-sea load? I'm
thinking 2x HARM, and 2x AGM-84; or two AGM-84s and four Mk-20 Rockeyes, or as a
final loadout, two AGM-84, two LGBs, and a targeting pod. Any comments welcome.

Old January 20th 07, 10:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Hello Matt,

That's me again;-) If I were you, I wouldn't mix HARMs or Rockeyes with
Harpoons, because the former are rather close-up weapons, whereas the
latter are definitely stand-off ones. If carrying Harpoons, you may
come not close enough to have to use HARMs. Yet, if expecting to come
so close, you could easily carry AGM-65F Mavericks instead of AGM-84s.
Just my humble opinion...

On some Super Hornet demonstrators you could have a variety of
air-to-surface ordnance, including LGB, JDAM, JSOW, HARM, Harpoon and
SLAM, but that must have been only for show.

One anti-ship variant I've seen in a Super Hornet brochure is: 2 x
AIM-9, 2 x AIM-120, 2 x AGM-84, 3 x 480 USgal. fuel tank.

Let us know what will be your final choice;-)

Best regards,
Jacek

Old January 22nd 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Matt Wiser

"Matt Wiser" wrote:

If I had the single-rail launcher for the AGM-65s, I'd gladly sub them for Harpoons; however,
the Testors and Hasegawa weapons kits don't come with that launcher, only Hasegawa sees
fit to include the triple-rail launcher in theirs, and the pair I have have a date with an unbuilt
A-10... The reasoning behind Harpoon/Rockeye is that you'd come in behind the missiles,
and assuming one or both hit, you'd finish off the target with the CBUs. HARM and Rockeye
would be that you'd blind the radars on the target, and what he can't see with radar, he can't
defend against when the Harpoons come in. (in theory, anyway) Of course, the AIM-9X and
AIM-120 would deal with any air cover, or any rotary-winged pests like ASW and AEW helos.

HA-6 Carburetor Info needed Stu & Kathy Fields Home Built 0 May 13th 04 06:05 PM
Info needed for SH3 Gralmk Naval Aviation 7 March 24th 04 08:18 AM
Web site info needed dave Home Built 1 December 3rd 03 05:12 AM
Groom Lake/area 51 Migs from 70s info needed Aerophotos Military Aviation 23 September 13th 03 05:16 PM
RB-47H info needed for model Matt Wiser Military Aviation 0 August 3rd 03 03:54 AM