No Damage History?

Old January 5th 04, 09:41 PM
Jay Honeck

OTOH, those items are designed to come off. If
they were replaced with undamaged replacements, then one *could* argue
that there is no longer any damaged items on the plane. I've seen
brokers try to cover themselves this way... and in terms of practical
value of the aircraft, there may be something to their arguement.

Well, there's "Damage History" and then there's "Ancient Damage History".

When my plane was just a few months old, back in 1974, the first owner
departed the runway on landing (or "lost directional control" as they say),
and sheared off the left landing gear. The left wing was pretty banged up,
too.

Back then apparently there were places called "Piper Service Centers" that
did repairs, rather than just "Joe's FBO". They repaired "Atlas" to "new
factory specs" with all new parts, and returned him to his owner, none the
worse for wear.

Now that was 29.5 years ago on a 30 year old airplane. Would you say my
plane has "damage history"?

I would. But does it matter?

Not to me.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 6th 04, 01:26 AM
Tony Woolner

I went the the avweb website. From there to the FAA. Database. They said you
could not look up owners name because of security!

Sven wrote:

"CFLav8r" wrote in message
om...
I'm wondering what everyone else's definition of "Damage History" is.
After looking through Ebay for a Cessna 172 I ran across this description:

I visited a website that I could look up the history of an aircraft by tail
number but didn't bookmark it and can't find it again. :-(

Does anyone have that website url available? It's not the NTSB query, it
gives discrepancies that were reported to the FAA.

Thanks!

Old January 6th 04, 02:57 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Jay Honeck wrote:
: Well, there's "Damage History" and then there's "Ancient Damage History".

snip
: Now that was 29.5 years ago on a 30 year old airplane. Would you say my
: plane has "damage history"?

When my airplane was 6 months old, someone did almost exactly the same
maneuver, wiping out the left wing rear attach point. Was repaired so
well that even the previous owner didn't know about it.

Since it's been flying fine for, oh, the last 34 1/2 years (longer that I
have been around), this really didn't mean a lot to me. Will it make a
difference when I sell the airplane? Cannot say.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)
Old January 6th 04, 02:29 PM
James M. Knox

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Now that was 29.5 years ago on a 30 year old airplane. Would you say
my plane has "damage history"?

Jay, you know the answer to that question. Namely, it depends upon whether
I am selling, or buying! {:)

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old January 6th 04, 02:43 PM
Jay Honeck

Now that was 29.5 years ago on a 30 year old airplane. Would you say
my plane has "damage history"?

Jay, you know the answer to that question. Namely, it depends upon

whether
I am selling, or buying! {:)

Ah, good point. ;-)

It didn't deter me, though. And as the fleet gets older and older, the
odds of finding a true "NDH" aircraft become less and less.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 6th 04, 03:05 PM
Newps

It also may be irrelavant. Take a Cub for example. My mechanic
specializes in taking wrecked or otherwise unairworthy Cubs and turning
them into pieces of flying art. He gets top dollar. Same goes for the
desirable planes like Cessna 180/182/185/206. Guys that read only
newsgroups care about a replaced firewall. My firewall has been
replaced twice. There's no discount for that. My plane had some
stringers replaced in the main gear area, we think due to a hard
landing. Again there's no discount for that. But on a Cherokee or a
Musketeer there would be.

Old January 6th 04, 04:00 PM
Ron Natalie

"Newps" wrote in message news:L8AKb.236808$8y1.1070687@attbi_s52...
My firewall has been
replaced twice.

Far better that it has already been replaced. I had a friend who had a 172 on leaseback
to a flying club. Nobody admits to when it happened, but some time, someone bounced
it hard on the nosegear and really bent the firewall. In addition the tail wasn't straight
anymore. Not only was there no damage "history." The owner never found out how
his plane got bent.

Old January 6th 04, 10:40 PM
John Galban

Newps wrote in message news:L8AKb.236808$8y1.1070687@attbi_s52...
It also may be irrelavant. Take a Cub for example. My mechanic
specializes in taking wrecked or otherwise unairworthy Cubs and turning
them into pieces of flying art. He gets top dollar.

Much like those Cub-Crafters cubs. I think the only "not new" part
is the data plate. You could probably look up some damage history in
the records, but it would be meaningless.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old January 6th 04, 11:22 PM
karl

John,

*****Much like those Cub-Crafters cubs. I think the only "not new" part is
the data plate.*****

Cub-Crafter Super Cubs are brand new airplanes, with brand new data plates
and brand new log books. Nothing comes off a donor airplane. Nothing.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/topcub.htm

Best,
Karl

Old January 7th 04, 03:13 AM
hlongworth

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message om...
"Mike Adams" wrote in message news:4m2Kb.46498$m83.46269@fed1read01...
You may be thinking of http://www.myairplane.com Look under Aircraft
Background Investigation on the menu bar

Doesn't do a very good job. I looked up my N number which I know is in the NTSB database. All I get is my ownership records.

Ron,
I thought that site was pretty good. I think between the information
provided by the site

http://www.myairplane.com/databases/aircraft_report/

and a copy of the individual aircraft record (which now comes in cd
instead of microfice format for $5.00)

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraft.asp...ircraftrecords

one can learn a lot about the history of a plane.

Was checking on plane history of half a dozen or so 152 trainers
which I had flown as a student at the myairplane site and found quite
a few of them with serious damage history (mostly by soloed students).
Had to wonder whether the average time to solo at a given school goes
up with the number of accidents.