Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo!

Old September 1st 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Lynn & Curtis Jordan

Default Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo!

wrote in message
ups.com...

The only injuiry Hirao sustained was a scratch on his right forearm
when he landed in some bush. He refused medical attention, and we all
enjoyed a very celebratory dinner in Minden that night.

I live in Douglas County, flew with John at Flying Start...but the real
question is...where did you celebrate and was the food and service good?

- Curtis

Old September 1st 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Lynn & Curtis Jordan

"Jack" wrote in message
et...
Aluckyguess wrote:

If the glider came in from the side how would the Hawker see him[?]

At a 3-4x speed differential the glider cannot "come in from the side".
Nonetheless, there are side windows -- even in Hawkers.

Does the dog crossing the freeway at 15 mph run into the grill of the semi
which is cruising at 55? I think not.

Uh, actually, I got hit by a cat once. Going 20ish, cat going a lot less.
It hit the rubber, spun down the road, scared the crap out of me. After a
trip to a rural vet (no real vets where I lived), got put back on the road
and ran off like it never missed the half hour trying to save it.

-Curtis

Old September 1st 06, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_4_]

"Graeme Cant" gcantinter@tnodedotnet wrote

It's physically impossible for a 60kt anything to hit a 300kt
anything from the side.

A one-in-a-million shot? Yes. Impossible? No.

I'm quite sure that the odds could be calculated, even.
--
Jim in NC
Old September 1st 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Roger Worden

Dunno about 16K, but I had 1000+ at 11,000 in that area last month.

"john smith" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

The glider pilot was circling when he was hit. He reported that he saw
the jet just a blink before the impact with no possibility of evasive
action.

At 16k, what kind of vertical rate of ascent could the glider have been
experiencing in a thermal that day?

Old September 1st 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Yuliy Gerchikov[_1_]

"Ramy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yuliy, I assume this is the degrees off center for the jet pilot,

Correct -- assuming the jet is flying straight. (Note that if glider is
manoeuvring at all, the angles are even less, i.e. closer to jet's 12
o'clock.)

BTW, remember the 26.5 degrees figure? One o'clock would be 30 degrees, of
course (...off-course).

what will it be for the glider pilot under similar conditions.

360, of course.

but sounds like we, as the slower aircraft, need much more
scanning then other faster aircrafts

Of couse, the faster aircrafts need to scan more for the faster aircrafts
yet...
--
Yuliy

Ramy

Yuliy Gerchikov wrote:
"Aluckyguess" wrote in message

How can a glider hit an airborne jet from the side? It can happen, but
the glider is well in front of the jet until the point of impact.
Good timing

Assuming glider Vne of 150 kts and jet speed of 300 kts, the widest
possible
azimuth angle from jet to glider is 26.5 degrees off center at any time
before impact (linear path).

At a more typical for a thermalling glider 60 kts this angle is reduced
11.3 degrees.

Which one do you call "from the side"?
--
Yuliy

Old September 1st 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Montblack[_1_]

("Graeme Cant" wrote)
That's true for you and me. But the courts and the insurance companies
and the FAA will certainly find a way no matter how hard it is. They tend
to work at these things more persistently than you and I do.

"Insurance companies are the most religious people in America - everything
is an act of God."

The 'big sky' (at 16,000 ft.) wasn't big enough.

No fault to either pilot.
(Under 12,000 ft. is a different matter, in my book)

"Next case."

Montblack

Old September 1st 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Barrow

Default Hawker vs. Glider Midair - random thoughts

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

I also knew that they had taken
off over gross on that flight, from things that I heard them say before
takeoff.

I'm curious, did they show you the W&B sheet for the flight? How did you
know they over gross?

Read!

Old September 1st 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Gig 601XL Builder

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

I also knew that they had taken
off over gross on that flight, from things that I heard them say before
takeoff.

I'm curious, did they show you the W&B sheet for the flight? How did you
know they over gross?

Read!

You are saying you heard the pilots say they were over gross? Or did they
just say they were heavy? If I heard two pilots say they were over gross I
think I'd get my ass off the plane.

Old September 1st 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Barrow

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

I also knew that they had taken
off over gross on that flight, from things that I heard them say before
takeoff.

I'm curious, did they show you the W&B sheet for the flight? How did you
know they over gross?

Read!

You are saying you heard the pilots say they were over gross?

Not me, the OP.

Or did they just say they were heavy? If I heard two pilots say they were
over gross I think I'd get my ass off the plane.

Just before takeoff?

Hopefully the OP will clarify.

Old September 1st 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.soaring
snoop

GC, you may say "ALWAYS, but I like to say "never say never". Put your
lawyer hat back on for a second. What if, for the sake of discussion,
its 3 o'clock in the morning on a freeway, and you hit the guy on the
bike, having not seen him, until the last second? You the big car
driver have done everything right, but the bike did not make himself
seen, and he was on the freeway where he was not suppose to be. As
we've seen in all these threads, lots of variables to wade through.

Graeme Cant wrote:
Aluckyguess wrote:

It's no excuse to hitting a guy on a bike that you were in a big car

travelling very fast even if you were under the speed limit.

Like when I hit another car from behind, prima facie it's my fault.

Not always.

ALWAYS, prima facie.

GC

GC