Things to put in the "remarks" section of the flight plan

Old June 14th 05, 02:10 AM
C. J. Clegg

Default Things to put in the "remarks" section of the flight plan

When filing a flight plan (VFR or IFR), and you are carrying some
non-aviation-type backup means of communications such as an FRS/GMRS
radio or an amateur VHF radio, is it worth it to put in the "Remarks"
something like "Amateur 146.52 MHz, GMRS Channel 1"?

I'm sure that if you go down, the CAP or whoever comes looking for
your sorry butt would be interested in knowing if they should try to
call you on something other than 121.5.

Any thoughts?

Old June 14th 05, 02:19 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"C. J. Clegg" wrote in message

When filing a flight plan (VFR or IFR), and you are carrying some
non-aviation-type backup means of communications such as an FRS/GMRS
radio or an amateur VHF radio, is it worth it to put in the "Remarks"
something like "Amateur 146.52 MHz, GMRS Channel 1"?

I'm sure that if you go down, the CAP or whoever comes looking for
your sorry butt would be interested in knowing if they should try to
call you on something other than 121.5.

Any thoughts?

You can enter anything you feel is pertinent to the flight.

Old June 14th 05, 06:45 AM
nooneimportant

"C. J. Clegg" wrote in message

When filing a flight plan (VFR or IFR), and you are carrying some
non-aviation-type backup means of communications such as an FRS/GMRS
radio or an amateur VHF radio, is it worth it to put in the "Remarks"
something like "Amateur 146.52 MHz, GMRS Channel 1"?

I'm sure that if you go down, the CAP or whoever comes looking for
your sorry butt would be interested in knowing if they should try to
call you on something other than 121.5.

Any thoughts?

When filing IFR for my instrument rating I would put down that my instructor
and I would be requesting full approaches at each airport. Sure enough...
we would get assighed the full approach as soon as we got there, instead of
the usual vectors to final or visual.

Old June 14th 05, 03:26 PM
Clay

I have my students put down either "Student pilot or Training flight".
Most controllers are more than happy to work with you.

Old June 14th 05, 06:59 PM

I put in the remarks section when applicable:

1. This is an "Angel Flight" positioning flight. (a leg NOT carrying
the patient).

2. VFR GPS on board.

Old June 14th 05, 07:38 PM
Ben Jackson

On 2005-06-14, C J Clegg wrote:

something like "Amateur 146.52 MHz, GMRS Channel 1"?

My understanding is that you get a lot more room for "remarks" than the
conrollers see. So if you want to alert SAR that you have a life raft
(and it is therefore worth looking for you when you crash in freezing
water) go for it. But if your message is "VFR gps" (ie please cheat and
give me direct) or "I want X, Y, Z approaches" you have to keep it short
and near the front.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old June 14th 05, 07:42 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
oups.com...

I put in the remarks section when applicable:

1. This is an "Angel Flight" positioning flight. (a leg NOT carrying
the patient).

2. VFR GPS on board.

For what purpose?

Old June 14th 05, 08:34 PM
Robert M. Gary

I've often had controllers issue me "direct to foobar instersection"
even though I filed /A after putting VFR GPS on board. I've also had
controllers ask me if I have a GPS while IFR. The FAA won't allow me to
file /G because my GPS is not IFR (I know Steven has some disagreements
with this) so its the next best thing for me.

-Robert

Old June 14th 05, 09:27 PM
Ron Natalie

On 2005-06-14, C J Clegg wrote:

something like "Amateur 146.52 MHz, GMRS Channel 1"?

My understanding is that you get a lot more room for "remarks" than the
conrollers see. So if you want to alert SAR that you have a life raft
(and it is therefore worth looking for you when you crash in freezing
water) go for it. But if your message is "VFR gps" (ie please cheat and
give me direct) or "I want X, Y, Z approaches" you have to keep it short
and near the front.

The controller only sees the first 24 characters.

My favorite is still "Brian donor on board."