Soaring sites near Pasadena, CA?

Old July 7th 04, 09:04 PM
Jeremy Zawodny

Default Soaring sites near Pasadena, CA?

I'm going to be in Pasadena later this month on business and would like
to take a day off to fly. I've poked around the SSA and Region 12 sites
a bit and it seems like there are a number of options within a 1.5 hour
(or so) drive.

Before I start contacting all of 'em, does anyone here have personal
recommendations for sites that'll rent a decent glider to a visiting
pilot for the day (probably a Friday)? Are there some sites that are
much better this time of year?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Old July 8th 04, 02:30 AM
Liam Finley

Jeremy Zawodny wrote in message ...
I'm going to be in Pasadena later this month on business and would like
to take a day off to fly. I've poked around the SSA and Region 12 sites
a bit and it seems like there are a number of options within a 1.5 hour
(or so) drive.

Before I start contacting all of 'em, does anyone here have personal
recommendations for sites that'll rent a decent glider to a visiting
pilot for the day (probably a Friday)? Are there some sites that are
much better this time of year?

Thanks!

Jeremy

I wouldn't bother with Hemet or Lake Elsinore. That probably leaves
Crystal as the only place within a 1.5 hour radius (I'm not sure you
can actually get there in 1.5 hours). If you're willing to drive 2.5
hours, then maybe Tehachapi, Cal City or Warner Springs become
possibilities. Of course, by the time you drive there and get checked
out, you might not have much time left to fly. Going to Magic
Mountain may be a better bang for the buck.
Old July 8th 04, 02:34 AM
BTIZ

and why would you not bother with Hemet or Lake Ellsinore?
Club only ?? weather?? poor summer conditions?

granted.. this time of year for GREAT Soaring.. you need to get out of the
Valley and into the desert

BT

om...

Old July 8th 04, 03:31 AM
Mark Navarre

Jeremy Zawodny wrote in message
I'm going to be in Pasadena later this month on business and would like
to take a day off to fly.

I wouldn't bother with Hemet or Lake Elsinore. That probably leaves
Crystal as the only place within a 1.5 hour radius (I'm not sure you
can actually get there in 1.5 hours). If you're willing to drive 2.5
hours, then maybe Tehachapi, Cal City or Warner Springs become
possibilities.

I can second the Cal City recomendation, this is a great time of year for
desert soaring, and the drive from Pasadena would be much less than 2 hours. I
get to Cal City in 2 hours from Lakewood, about 30 miles south of Pasadena.
-
Mark Navarre
2/5 black ace
LoCal, USA
remove brain to reply
-
Old July 8th 04, 04:40 PM
David Norinsky

Jeremy,

Crystal Aire (Great Western Soaring -
http://www.greatwesternsoaring.com/index.htm) is a great place to soar all
year long.
I moved here from Phoenix and used to fly out of Tuscon - I though that
place was great. The conditions at Crystal are fantastic and, even in the
winter months you can soar for 2-3 hours many days.
With a 1 1/2 hr drive you will be able to go thermal/ridge/wave soaring
(weather dependant) in a most beautiful place....you won't be disappointed!!
Also, the crew out there is a great group of people.

Have fun,

Dave Norinsky