Aviation Movies?

Old May 30th 05, 04:22 PM
Dave Burton

Default Aviation Movies?

Here is you chance to suggest movies to show at a fly-in. I'd
appreciate any suggestions for newer movies, available on DVD or video
tape. We've seen all the oldies. I've got to stick to PG films for
the most part since this will be visible to the CAP cadets and anyone
else still up after dark. The films will be shown outdoors at the
edge of the taxiway. I'm not a movie goer and I'm not familar with
newer offerings that might be available.

We have " kids day" we also need a movie for. "Holes" last year was
a big hit...

Any movie suggestions that might entain the fly-in crowd would be
great. I know the choice of aviation movies is limited and I don't
think we want to show Top Gun or Independance Day, again...

Thanks,
Dave
Old May 30th 05, 05:04 PM
John T

"Dave Burton" wrote in message

Any movie suggestions that might entain the fly-in crowd would be
great. I know the choice of aviation movies is limited and I don't
think we want to show Top Gun or Independance Day, again...

"The Aviator" is PG13 and I thought was pretty good. "Always" is more of a
love story involving firefighting pilots, but at least it has aviation
content. "Memphis Belle" (the 1990 version, not the documentary) is PG13.

Some of the more classic ones I have are "The Blue Max", "The Battle of
Britain", "Twelve o'Clock High" and "The Bridges of Toko Ri".

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old May 30th 05, 07:13 PM
John Gaquin

"John T" wrote in message news:429b37e8$0$20841

Any movie suggestions that might entain the fly-in crowd would be
great. I know the choice of aviation movies is limited and I don't
think we want to show Top Gun or Independance Day, again...

"The Aviator" is PG13 and I thought was pretty good. "Always" is more of
a love story involving firefighting pilots, but at least it has aviation
content. "Memphis Belle" (the 1990 version, not the documentary) is PG13.

You're right about "Always", but the story construction is so saturated with
flying that it would be a great selection for Dave.

Also, Dave, "The Great Waldo Pepper" and "Rocketeer" are both PG.

Old May 30th 05, 11:07 PM
james

the original "flight of the phoenix" was kinda cool - i liked it

Old May 31st 05, 12:35 AM
Gene Seibel

High Road to China has some neat flying scenes.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old May 31st 05, 12:51 AM
AES

What's the old B&W classic about flying a Ford Trimotor (?) across the
Andes in South America -- flying through a narrow pass in a thick fog.

And the more recent one about the male pilot and female passenger who
make a forced landing on a tropic beach, with no one knowing where they
are; and have to essentially rebuild part of the plane with logs and
rope to get back off. (Or is that one of the one's already mentioned?)
Old May 31st 05, 02:58 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Only Angles Have Wings" (my favorite)
"Stategic Air Command"
"The Great Waldo Pepper"
"Spirit of Saint Louis"

I thought the original "Flight of the Phoenix" and "Flying Tigers" were
boring.

Old May 31st 05, 02:58 AM
james

was it recent? the one with harrison ford and anne hech? the movie
(and title), to me were forgettable

but at least harrison ford made it more accurate then most, being a
pilot.

Old May 31st 05, 03:29 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
AES wrote:

What's the old B&W classic about flying a Ford Trimotor (?) across the
Andes in South America -- flying through a narrow pass in a thick fog.

And the more recent one about the male pilot and female passenger who
make a forced landing on a tropic beach, with no one knowing where they
are; and have to essentially rebuild part of the plane with logs and
rope to get back off. (Or is that one of the one's already mentioned?)

"Six Days, Seven Nights", or something like that. They crash-land a
Beaver and cannibalize a WW-II Japanese float plane for parts.

Old May 31st 05, 04:44 AM
dancingstarcreations

Dave Burton wrote:
Here is you chance to suggest movies to show at a fly-in....

Why "The Aviator" of course! True story, great performances, 5 academy
awards, the most incredible crash scene I've ever seen, and a chance to
give one of our nation's most enigmatic figures some well-deserved
recognition as an aviation pioneer.

BTW....once you see the movie you'll never call it "The Spruce Goose" again.

Antonio

Trying to Fly AliR Piloting 33 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
How safe is it, really? June Piloting 227 December 10th 04 05:01 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Home Built 3 May 14th 04 11:55 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM