Considerations for joining flying club

Old September 30th 04, 05:55 AM
Rich Raine

While we on this subject, Anyone know of a club in the Las Vegas area?

--
Rich Raine

remove xxxx for email
www.eRaine.com

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, (Defly) said:
First of all - define "club". Is this a company or individual who owns
an/some
aircraft and sells you (membership fee) the right to fly his aircraft or
is
this a partnership where you are actually purchasing a share of the
aircraft.
Ours is the latter and I wouldn't, personally, join the former.

Why not? Our club operates that way - it's a limited liability company,
but you become a stockholder in the company (but not with a share of the
planes) for your $795 non-refundable initiation fee. The club bylaws
specify that if the company is dissolved, the money from selling the
assets goes to charity, not to the members. Unlike the local share club,
we have never had an assessment on our members in our 48 years of
operation - all maintenance expenses and capital upgrades are financed
through the monthly fees. We've also never made a member pay the
deductable for an insurance claim, even if it was their fault. (Only one
flying accident in that time - about 25 years ago a guy flipped a Cessna
on landing about 2000 miles from home. The club sold the plane "as is" to
a local dealer and bought a local replacement.)

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/