KLN94 Question

Old April 17th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
kevmor

Default KLN94 Question

I'm learning to use the KLN94 IFR GPS and was wondering about using
the ALT button to set the current altimeter setting. I can see why it
would use this for VNAV, but is it required to set it for normal non-
precision approaches? I think the only thing I've read in the manual
so far was it helps to get the RAIM check done faster or something
like that.

Old April 17th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
kevmor

Also, what is the difference between approaches such as:

RNAV (GPS) Y RWY 20
RNAV (GPS) Z RWY 20

Sometimes they look identical I've noticed, is the Y and Z designation
similar to the A in VOR-A, etc?

Old April 17th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Gardner

ups.com...

On Apr 17, 1:59 pm, kevmor wrote:
I'm learning to use the KLN94 IFR GPS and was wondering about using
the ALT button to set the current altimeter setting. I can see why it
would use this for VNAV, but is it required to set it for normal non-
precision approaches? I think the only thing I've read in the manual
so far was it helps to get the RAIM check done faster or something
like that.

From the AIM, 5-4-5(a)(3):

(d) The naming of multiple approaches of the same type to the same runway is
also changing. Multiple approaches with the same guidance will be annotated
with an alphabetical suffix beginning at the end of the alphabet and working
backwards for subsequent procedures (e.g., ILS Z RWY 28, ILS Y RWY 28,
etc.). The existing annotations such as ILS 2 RWY 28 or Silver ILS RWY 28
will be phased out and replaced with the new designation. The Cat II and Cat
III designations are used to differentiate between multiple ILSs to the same
runway unless there are multiples of the same type.

Bob Gardner

Old April 18th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill

The box checks gps altitude vs the encoder altitude for sanity.
All the King boxes do this. So you will probably have to enter
the altimeter setting to get the approach to go active.

The 94 is a very nice box; many features of the 430s at a lower
price. Includes ILS approach guidance.

To bad there's no way to drop it in a 90B slot!

Bill Hale BPPP instructor

Old April 18th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Don Poitras

Bill wrote:
The box checks gps altitude vs the encoder altitude for sanity.
All the King boxes do this. So you will probably have to enter
the altimeter setting to get the approach to go active.

Also, from the manual:

Altitude may be provided to the KLN 94 from an encoding altimeter or
blind encoder. Altitude is used as an aid in position determination
when not enough satellites are in view.

and:

A valid position may be determined using as few as four satellites
alone or three satellites with a valid electronic altitude input.

--
Don Poitras
Old April 18th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ross

On Apr 17, 2:59 pm, kevmor wrote:

I'm learning to use the KLN94 IFR GPS and was wondering about using
the ALT button to set the current altimeter setting. I can see why it
would use this for VNAV, but is it required to set it for normal non-
precision approaches? I think the only thing I've read in the manual
so far was it helps to get the RAIM check done faster or something
like that.

I thought the 90B would drop in to the 89B and the 94 would do the same.
Bummer....

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old April 19th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
kevmor

I flew today to try out some more approaches with the KLN94 and the
entire time I was getting "Altitude Fail" in the MSG area, which the
manual says will display "When the altitude input becomes invalid
during operation". If I remember correctly, I think I saw when
turning it on or setting the ALT that it wasn't receiving any altitude
input, so I pushed ALT and set the altimeter to the current setting.
It kept redisplaying though... am I doing something wrong, or is it
getting a bad input possibly?

Old April 19th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

On 04/19/07 12:49, kevmor wrote:
I flew today to try out some more approaches with the KLN94 and the
entire time I was getting "Altitude Fail" in the MSG area, which the
manual says will display "When the altitude input becomes invalid
during operation". If I remember correctly, I think I saw when
turning it on or setting the ALT that it wasn't receiving any altitude
input, so I pushed ALT and set the altimeter to the current setting.
It kept redisplaying though... am I doing something wrong, or is it
getting a bad input possibly?

I was told by one of the club CFIs that you need to have your transponder
set to Mode C for this feature to work. So, while on the ground prior
get turning on the transponder (to mode-C), I get the same thing.

Once I've turned on the mode-c, I no longer get the message.

Is it possible the message was originally received while you were on
the ground (before you turned on the mode-c) and you never cleared
the message?

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old April 19th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Allen[_1_]

"kevmor" wrote in message
ups.com...
I flew today to try out some more approaches with the KLN94 and the
entire time I was getting "Altitude Fail" in the MSG area, which the
manual says will display "When the altitude input becomes invalid
during operation". If I remember correctly, I think I saw when
turning it on or setting the ALT that it wasn't receiving any altitude
input, so I pushed ALT and set the altimeter to the current setting.
It kept redisplaying though... am I doing something wrong, or is it
getting a bad input possibly?

You do have either an encoding altimeter or blind encoder and it is hooked
up to the GPS and is functioning properly? You have your transponder turned
to ALT and not just to on? If the GPS is not hooked up to the encoder there
should be a way in the setup to tell it there is no encoder connected. I am
not familiar with the KLN94 but these things are pretty common to all panel
mount GPS.

Old April 19th 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill

On Apr 19, 2:35 pm, "Allen" wrote:
"kevmor" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

The encoder lines are a big party line. They are pulled high by
the transponder usually and the altimeter pulls them low to
signify a "1". The GPS just monitors the lines--or should.
On 90B installations, you are ordered to put some diodes in the
lines so that if the 90B is turned off it won't pull the lines low and
flummox
the transponder-encoder connection.

Might also be that the encoder only gets power if the transponder
is in ALT position; haven't heard of that one. I know that on Narcos,
the encoder only got strobed in mode C--at least on really
old models.

So check your plane: You should be able to turn off the GPS
and still squak the correct altitude; you should be able to turn the
transponder off and still indicate the correct altitude on the GPS.

Bill Hale