please stop bashing France

Old October 22nd 03, 03:39 AM
Declan O'Reilly

Interspersed

lekomin inc wrote:
Uzytkownik "Declan O'Reilly" napisal w wiadomosci

What is GROM anyways

Well, there are 2 equally probable stories about the GROM name.. one, is
that it is derived from the name GROMoslaw Czempinski. This is a Polish
Military Inteligence guy that brought out CIA operatives form Iraq in 1991.
As a thank-you-very-much gesture the USA bankrolled the creation of GROM.
The second version is that GROM is an abbreviation from Grupa Reagowania
Operacyjno Mobilnego (something like Operations and Mobility Reaction
Group). This does not make any sense both in Polish and in English language.
I think that the first version is true.

Who knows ,lol have you seen really any military acronymm that makes sense.

Secondly, GROM is a SAS, DELTA type of unit. That is long range recce, with
a dedicated counter terrorist capability. AFAIK it is divided along the SAS
lines in boat, mobility freefall and mountaint troop. We know that in Iraq
the boat troop helped the SEALs to take over some oil infrastructure on the
Persian Gulf and in Umm Qasr. We don't know what the others did. Right now a
GROM detachement is under the command of the Joint Special Forces Command
and are involved with the Task Force, which hunts for Saddam.

Okay , so its a modular force probably no larger than a battalion at
largest and squad at minimum depending on what they need to be tasked
for. Just guessing on my part.

I think that GROM has much to learn from the SAS and the US Special Forces.
In this business the experience is the key. Haiti, Yugoslavia, Macedonia and
Iraq (place where GROM operated) earned some of it for the Unit, but much
more is needed

I think I can remember back in the late 80's , early nineties ,some
terrorist group had hijacked a polish airliner , and landed it in a
foreign country ,and the govn in warsaw said that they had a unit
standing by , should the country need assistance, I would presume that
it was either GRom or a predecessor unit.

As for the experience , that will come with co-operation and time. I
would imagine that there is probably a body of knowledge from ww2 ,
operating with the british commandos by free polish forces.

About the Ranger. I think you can compare Polish and US units as the
following (basic roles on the battlefield):
(Polish=US)
GROM=Delta
1st Commando Regiment, 2nd Recce Regiment=US Special Forces Groups
6th Airborne Brigade, 25th Air Cav Brigade= 101, 82 Airborne Division

I would think that 6th Airborne Brigade can be compared to the US Rangers,
that is much better that the regular airborne infantry and not as good as
Commando Regiment. Rangers in my understanding are very but very good shock
infantry supporting SF units and capable of limited SFtype operations on
their own.

Thanks for the info , usually I use american formations , as its
simpler to keep the numbers in my mind , when comparing unit sizes.

Also what your guys did was outstanding , plus your government for
sending them , it says more to send troops to a combat theater , than
all the words in the UN.

thank you
take care
lekomin inc

Any time

Declan O'Reilly

Old October 22nd 03, 04:13 PM
lekomin inc

Użytkownik "Tank Fixer" napisał w
wiadomo¶ci
The nice thing is Napolian wasn't French, he was Corsican...

phep.. ;P I almost forgot it
take care
lekomin inc

Old October 29th 03, 02:23 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Mike" wrote:

Especially the editorial cartoons you say!!!that's all?

No, that's just the best example. That's why i used the word
"especially" instead of "only."

That's pretty much the point where I lost you.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.