Translate WX Forecast

Old July 30th 05, 01:22 AM
John T

Default Translate WX Forecast

Here's a TAF for Elizabeth City, NC:

TAF KECG 292350Z 300024 18005KT 6SM -SHRA BR SCT015 BKN030
TEMPO 0103 3SM TSRA BR OVC015CB
FM0300 16005KT 5SM SHRA BR OVC025CB
FM0800 VRB03KT 3SM BR OVC040
FM1400 18007KT P6SM BKN040
FM2000 15006KT 5SM SHRA BR BKN025CB AMD NOT SKCED AFT 02Z

what does "AMD NOT SKCED AFT 02Z" mean?

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old July 30th 05, 02:01 AM
Michelle P

Amendment not scheduled after 02Z (closing time).
Michelle
Ref Section 4 Page 3 AC00-45E

Old July 30th 05, 02:12 AM
Matt Barrow

"Michelle P" wrote in message
nk.net...
Amendment not scheduled after 02Z (closing time).
Michelle
Ref Section 4 Page 3 AC00-45E

Amazing, isn't it, that after nearly forty years of broadband
communications, they still use phrasing(?) from the TELEGRAPH days.

And they wonder why pilots often fail to read that crap.

Old July 30th 05, 03:17 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"Michelle P" wrote in message
nk.net...
Amendment not scheduled after 02Z (closing time).
Michelle
Ref Section 4 Page 3 AC00-45E

Amazing, isn't it, that after nearly forty years of broadband
communications, they still use phrasing(?) from the TELEGRAPH days.

And they wonder why pilots often fail to read that crap.

What is the alternative? Undecoded METARs/TAFs?

I can't stand wading through an undecoded briefing where I have to pick
through "Wind" and "Temperature" and all of that unnecessary verbal
nonsense in order to get the information. If you learn to read
undecoded METARs/TAFs, it's pretty easy to pick out a lot of information
very quickly.

JKG
Old July 30th 05, 04:06 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

nk.net...

Old July 30th 05, 04:27 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article ,
"Matt Barrow" wrote:

"Michelle P" wrote in message
nk.net...
Amendment not scheduled after 02Z (closing time).
Michelle
Ref Section 4 Page 3 AC00-45E

Amazing, isn't it, that after nearly forty years of broadband
communications, they still use phrasing(?) from the TELEGRAPH days.

And they wonder why pilots often fail to read that crap.

What is the alternative? Undecoded METARs/TAFs?

Why not?

I can't stand wading through an undecoded briefing where I have to pick
through "Wind" and "Temperature" and all of that unnecessary verbal
nonsense in order to get the information.

Wind and Temp data is nonsense?

If you learn to read
undecoded METARs/TAFs, it's pretty easy to pick out a lot of information
very quickly.

Sounds rather like the "If you can't run a computer from the command line,
you shouldn't be on it!" crowd. That was a popular refrain from the Unix
gang. I wonder how many of those are on the outs right now, with the IT
industry going south? "Requirements? We don't do requirements; you'll get it
the way we want to do it".

Automatic transmissions?

In my industry it's pneumatic nailers and factory built components. We build
houses using 40% of the manhours and have better fit, finish and materials
than the "Big Boys".

--
Matt
---------------------

Old July 30th 05, 05:31 AM
Jose

I can't stand wading through an undecoded briefing where I have to pick
through "Wind" and "Temperature" and all of that unnecessary verbal
nonsense in order to get the information.

Wind and Temp data is nonsense?

I think what he means is that the word "wind" and "temperature" is
nonsense if you already know which numbers they are. (He probably also
mistyped "undecoded" for "decoded into prose")

For example, once you really know the format,
FM0800 VRB03KT 3SM BR OVC040
is easier to read than
"from 8:00 Greenwich Mean Time until 14:00 Greenwich Mean time (2:00 pm
in England), the winds will be variable at three knots, visibility will
be three statute miles in mist and the ceiling will be overcast at four
thousand feet above ground level."

This is especially true when you stack a bunch of them up to spot a
trend, or are getting the METAR from a PDA or internet cell phone.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old July 30th 05, 11:03 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 04:31:54 GMT, Jose
wrote:

Greenwich Mean time

Actually, Universal Coordinated Time. We no longer tell time by the
stars at Greenwich Observatory.

And if the U.S. gets it way, we will no longer tell time by the sun,
either. The plan is to abolish Leap Seconds, and instead have a Leap
Hour every 500 years or so. Evidently this is easier on the computer
programmers.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old July 30th 05, 03:19 PM
CriticalMass

Jonathan Goodish wrote:

What is the alternative? Undecoded METARs/TAFs?

Obviously, plain-language. Where's the compelling reason to make trying
to read them a goat-rope? All the encoded BS is a relic of a prior era,
driven by the technology of that era, and now, well overtaken by events
and several generations of newer technology that make it embarrassingly
obsolete.

Your tax dollars at work.

Hobbs Soaring Forecast Mike the Strike Soaring 0 June 4th 05 06:51 PM
Have you ever... Jay Honeck Piloting 229 May 6th 05 08:26 PM
RUC Mixed Boundary forecast m pautz Soaring 2 March 26th 05 03:48 AM
Weather Question: forecasting clouds Jonathan Piloting 11 November 19th 04 09:34 PM
A good 12 hour soaring forecast goes bad Jonathan Gere Soaring 5 July 11th 04 01:21 AM