Esa-systems 'STATEK' Mulitsonde

Old January 29th 04, 11:54 PM
John Galloway

Default Esa-systems 'STATEK' Mulitsonde

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any knowledge
or experience of the above static/TE double probe as
shown on the esa-systems web site by following the
links to 'multisonden' and then STATEK:

http://www.esa-systems.com/

It features the unusual flat Ilec 'Stats' static design
which is claimed to be much less sensitive to yaw than
the usual Prandtl tube static used on other esa-systems
probes and is explained in the late Rudolph Broezel's
article available at:

http://www.mandhsoaring.com/articles/Ilec_stats.pdf

I have seen this static on a glider in the past but
did not know what it was. Another unusual feature
of the STATEK double probe seems (from the picture)
to be a rather long TE side tube which appears to about
18cm if the picture is to scale.

A double TE/Static probe would suit me better than
a triple probe and it would be helpful to know whether
or not this model works well for both functions.

BTW my email above no longer works.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John Galloway

Old January 30th 04, 12:49 AM
cernauta

John Galloway wrote:

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any knowledge
or experience of the above static/TE double probe as
shown on the esa-systems web site by following the
links to 'multisonden' and then STATEK:

I may not have understood perfectly, but the connector on the fin is
specifically designed to accept one kind of probe (1, 2 or 3 way).
They are not interchangeable.
I have had the older, usual TE (1 way) fin probe on a DG400 for many
years with no problems (upgraded to an ILEC probe with 2 small holes
instead of the original 4 slotted).
I now have the Triple way on my 600, and it's already showing
problems: there are some small O-Rings which have started
deteriorating and are a ... to replace.
The probe itself is available in black carbon fibre, or in aluminum: I
strongly suggest the latter. The composite ones have soon cracked
(nearly invisible cracks) near the plug, giving problems with vario
reading.

If you are choosing within the options for a new glider, I'd have it
with two separate connectors for TE and Ptot, and would be happy with
fuselage statics. From a reliability point of view.

Aldo Cernezzi
Old January 30th 04, 09:38 AM
John Galloway

Aldo,

Thanks. Yes I should have been more clear - I am thinking
about equipment for a new glider. I have had the triple
probes on 2 previous gliders without too much problems
from the O rings. I have variously used a little PTFE
or silicone dry lubricant on the rings of the probe
itself as it is noticeable that when the probe gets
stiffer to insert you get some rubber marks on it from
the internal rings.

I wonder if there is any better way of preserving the
O rings?

John Galloway

Old January 30th 04, 01:05 PM
K.P. Termaat

Hello John,

We just purchased a new Ventus-2cxT. In the tail fin we have two adapters.
The lower one is for total pressure with a one hose connection in the fin
only. The upper one is a multi probe adaptor having three hose connections
in the fin.
We use the STR/ST1 probe for Total pressure (and not just the extending
adapter part).We use the STATEK/DN/UN for Static and TE. This is a special
design.
You can find detailed info at http://home.wxs.nl/~kpt9/esa-systems.htm .
This one of the subpages of my home page.
Contact me in private if you like to know more.

Karel, NL

"John Galloway" schreef in
bericht ...

Old January 30th 04, 07:08 PM
Eric Greenwell

John Galloway wrote:
Aldo,

Thanks. Yes I should have been more clear - I am thinking
about equipment for a new glider. I have had the triple
probes on 2 previous gliders without too much problems
from the O rings. I have variously used a little PTFE
or silicone dry lubricant on the rings of the probe
itself as it is noticeable that when the probe gets
stiffer to insert you get some rubber marks on it from
the internal rings.

I wonder if there is any better way of preserving the
O rings?

I've always used a hardware store silicone grease by GE on mine. The
ones on the ASW 20 C were still good when I sold it 11 years; the ones
on my ASH 26 E are still good after 9 years. We have 100+ degree summers
and sub-freezing winters. Good O rings should last indefinitely as long
as they aren't used "dry", as they do in much more severe conditions,
like shock absorbers.

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA