Is it easier now?

Old February 28th 04, 03:25 AM
D. Strang

"ArtKramr" wrote

That was not my quote. It was made by General Colin Powell in his book.

In the narrow context of Vietnam before the lottery system. Before about
1965, no one joined the NG or Reserves out of civilian life, they joined it
after active duty. Most people took their draft, and ended up in Germany
or Korea (and no one asked about a ****ing exit-strategy). Most served,
got the clap, and were home to momma before anyone knew they were
gone.

Old February 28th 04, 04:22 AM
Tank Fixer

In article ,
on 27 Feb 2004 14:11:00 GMT,
ArtKramr attempted to say .....

Subject: Is it easier now?
From: Tank Fixer

Date: 2/26/04 11:31 PM Pacific Standard Time

In article ,
on 27 Feb 2004 03:49:51 GMT,
ArtKramr
attempted to say .....

From: Tank Fixer

Date: 2/26/04 7:46 PM Pacific Standard Time

In article ,
on 26 Feb 2004 20:44:20 GMT,
ArtKramr
attempted to say .....

"Liberated" ? As I remember it there was no German resistance whatever.

All
the
Germans had left and they just walked in without a shot being fired.

Hardly
the
equivalent of landing on Omaha beach was it?. (sheesh)

Yes, I guess your right.

I mean the 41st Infantry had an easy time in New Guinea during 1942/43.

Or that Provisional Tank battalion that ended up on the Bataan penensula
in 1941 as infantry after they ran out of fuel.

I mean, they were just National Guard troops....
Not real soldiers, right Art ?

At least Bush wasn't hiding in those units right?

No, he was flying a rather unforgiving aircraft.

Or are you saying the USAF had lax standards for pilot training in the
early 70's ?

As Colin Powell said:
"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and
well-placed managed to wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National
Guard units... Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class
discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all
Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."

OK, so we know what the good general said.

I was asking you however.

--
When dealing with propaganda terminology one sometimes always speaks in
variable absolutes. This is not to be mistaken for an unbiased slant.
Old February 28th 04, 04:51 AM
ArtKramr

From: Tank Fixer
Date: 2/27/04 8:22 PM Pacific Standard Time
In article ,
on 27 Feb 2004 14:11:00 GMT,
ArtKramr
attempted to say .....

From: Tank Fixer

Date: 2/26/04 11:31 PM Pacific Standard Time

In article ,
on 27 Feb 2004 03:49:51 GMT,
ArtKramr
attempted to say .....

From: Tank Fixer

Date: 2/26/04 7:46 PM Pacific Standard Time

As Colin Powell said:
"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and
well-placed managed to wangle slots in the Army Reserve and National
Guard units... Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class
discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all
Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."

OK, so we know what the good general said.

I was asking you however.

I agree with General Powell.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old February 28th 04, 04:55 AM
D. Strang

"Tank Fixer" wrote

Did I say they all had joined in the 1950's ? No, that some had.

Actually, you said "many" had. Now you say "some." We're probably getting
closer to the truth, that "very few" had.

Old February 28th 04, 05:01 AM
D. Strang

"ArtKramr" wrote

I agree with General Powell.

Powell wrote that over 10 years ago. He was talking about a narrow
window of history. The reason you offer the quote today, is that it is
being pushed by the DNC, and the AARP.

Kerry's welfare promise to AARP membership is the reason you invest
in this quote.

Powell is serving the best candidate for our next President. If Kerry is
nominated by the Democrats, then we have a choice between Capitalism
and Communism. A Central Planning Committee, or a free market.