"N444WD-0001.jpg" yEnc (1/1)

Old July 2nd 08, 01:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
mrorwell

Default Why the yEnc?

"Wayne Paul" wrote in
m:

"Clem" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"Wayne Paul" wrote in
m:

No matter how "superior" the yEric format, the majority of the user
group shouldn't be expected to install additional software to view a
few pictures. It's simple, if a person wants the majority of the
people to see their pictures ... don't post them in yEnc format.

WOW ....What in the world was so fanatical about what I said that it
spawned that.

It might be where you claim to speak for the majority of the group... or
tried to "shame" users in to posting the way YOU want to see things.

On usenet, it's ALWAYS been posters choice. When something new comes
along, it's reasonable to request that a poster not be on the "bleeding
edge" to allow folks to catch up.

That happened a lot when broadband started infiltrating the market...
one person with a new fat pipe would flood a group with thousands of
"huge" files at once, pushing many news servers past their retention
periods. People on dial up were drowning. It was reasonable to ask for
limits on numbers and size of posts. Today, such limits are ridiculous.

There's another binaries group where one person insists on posting in JP2
format. That was a standard proposed several years ago and it hasn't
caught on. Many viewers and usenet readers don't support it. He still
insists on posting that way, which is his right... but after a few
requests, nobody bothers him about it any more.

Yenc has been around for 7 years. It's hardly cutting edge. One of the
its main critics is a guy named Jeremy Nixon. He has a whole page
dedicated to "Why yEnc is bad for usenet." He acknowledged that "yEnc
has taken over as the main encoding scheme used in binary Usenet
groups." That was in 2002 and he hasn't updated that page since.

I fly old gliders, run old tube based ham radio equipment, still use

use an old Compaq Aero 1500 PDA and use a first generation digital
camera. I am getting the place in my life-cycle where many classify me as
old. So no one should be surprised that my PC software isn't new.

But I bet you don't use dial up.

And your computer probably has reasonable storage, or you wouldn't be
able to save the large and beautiful files that are posted here.

Honestly, I really don't know what participate such a strong response.

I dunno... maybe it was just one more voice on the "do things my way"
bandwagon that pushed him over the edge?

If you don't like yEnc, don't download it... but then don't complain
because you can't see them.

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old July 2nd 08, 01:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mike Proctor

Morgans wrote:
"Clem" wrote in message
. 97.136...
Gene Park wrote in
:

The only ones who like yEnc are the ones who insist on posting that
scheisse. Aggressive ignorance. Who needs to clutter up their computer
with crappy programmes just to view that crap?

If I understand you, a program that does less for a user is a good program
and a program that provides more alternatives is a bad program.

Why didn't I think of that? So easy a caveman can do it!

What are the percentages on how many people use OE as their newsreader,
versus all the rest combined? OE 80% vs. the rest?

OE is responsible for more computer infections then any program on the
internet. I would use ANY other newsreader/email program besides outlook.
Old July 2nd 08, 03:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 15:44:17 -0400, Morgans wrote
(in article ):

Ron wrote:

a post with a bunch of yEnc

Ron, why all of the yEnc?

Have you not noticed that nobody ever uses that format, in this group?

It sure would be more to polite of you, to use what is considered standard
in a group.

Plus, most will not take the time to pull up your pictures.

Why not?

Old July 2nd 08, 03:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

Default Why the yEnc? - "giveadamn.gif" yEnc (1/1) [4K]

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:21:12 -0400, Woody wrote
(in article ):

I won't see his pictures. All yenc posters go directly to the kill file....

Hoo-rah.

--
Jim in NC

Attached Images

Old July 2nd 08, 03:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

Default Why the yEnc? - "avmeter.gif" yEnc (1/1) [16K]

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 02:35:19 -0400, JPaulV wrote
(in article ):

"Woody" a écrit dans le message de news:

I won't see his pictures. All yenc posters go directly to the kill
file....

+1

-100

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avmeter.gif
Views:	38
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	26721
Old July 2nd 08, 03:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 05:36:43 -0400, ADM44 wrote
(in article ):

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:21:12 -0400, "Woody" wrote:

I won't see his pictures. All yenc posters go directly to the kill file....

I am sure they will all be devastated to know that.

No kidding.

"Oh my, Woody will not see my pictures. World will end tomorrow"

Or, maybe, just maybe... not.

If he wants to restrict the formats that he can download, more power to him.
It's his machine and his choice. If he wants to restrict the formats that _I_
can _upload_, **** him. It's not going to happen. If he wants to killfile me
'cause I won't do what he wants... Hoo-rah. He'll never complain about my
stuff 'cause he'll never see it. This is a _good_ thing. Let him live in his
MSOE ghetto if he wants...

Old July 2nd 08, 06:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Eric

1. I do not post in yenc.
2. I have never taken either side of the great yenc wars.
3. My statement was aimed at the complaining that is going on and on and on
and, well you get picture...not taking either side.

When yenc first started rearing its ugly head, I too was upset that I could
not see all the great pictures that were being posted. So I did what anyone
should do, I adapted. I did not want to spend any more money on software,
instead I spent about 15 minutes searching the Internet for a freeware yenc
decoder and found yproxy. For the last couple of years I have been enjoying
the great and sometimes not so great pictures in the newsgroups. And when
someone else develops another compression utility, I will adapt, search for
a decoder, and go on my way.

Life is too short to get angry over something so trivial as yenc.

"Auld Phart" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 17:06:40 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Eric" wrote

Oh no, here goes another 3 months of whiny narrow minded ****
ants...bemoaning the evils of yenc.

Come up with a solution that does not involve switching newsreaders, or
screwing up the one I use.

Until you can do that, I'll take a little cheese and crackers with my
wine,
please! g

I hope that anything you post will be in huge bmp format!

I use an ancient out of date image viewer that will only display bmp files
and I
DEMAND that all images be posted in that format :-)

You want to use a crap out of date pseudo newsreader, I want to use a crap
out
of date image viewer.

Old July 2nd 08, 07:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
ian

Martin Helms wrote:8 snip

"Morgans" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Could this be a clash of cultures here. My news readers have supported ynec
for a long time 4 to 5 years at least.

I stopped using Micky$oft 10 years ago but do I understand they they still
don't support ynec or any other file format they don't own ?

Answer is simple you dump microsoft no more virus spyware etc and free
software,problem solved.

It even prevents top posting. Pass me another goat some one please .

--
my opinions are my own
Output certified Microsoft free
Old July 4th 08, 03:48 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim Morris[_4_]

Default What a bunch of ****

Jim
Old July 4th 08, 08:03 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Jim Morris" wrote in message
. ..
Jim