US Rules Committee to ban XC Soar in US soaring competitioneffective immediately? - Ahh the "genius!"

Old February 24th 12, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default US Rules Committee to ban XC Soar in US soaring competitioneffective immediately? - Ahh the "genius!"

I hate to bring this up again...but I must.

I have learned this morning that XCSoar is to be banned from US soaring competitions. In fact our rules committee is apparently planning to also ban all free, open source applications because they "feel" they cannot control whether these applications may implement artificial horizons and other "cheater" functionality. Clearly these elite rule makers don't seem to understand how easy it is to install and use a different apps (or simply build your own) for these cheater AH functions and have decided to inconvenience many pilots in US Soaring Competition in a last ditched effort to maintain their completely unenforceable AH rule.

Please confirm or deny, US Rules Committee, this news for the US Pilots who use or have just started to use this outstanding, free and intensely popular software...XC Soar? You might save alot of people $300 on their android PDA they are buying to run it...

While they get back to us...this news is apparently true (confirmed by XC Soar Developers) and the folks over at the US Rules Committee are working hard to write up the documentation required to ban XC Soar for US Pilots as we speak.

Gentleman of the US Rules Committee. I have officially lost all respect for your leadership assuming this is true. This is without question the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of in any of the many sports that I have been involved in over my lifetime.

As you (Rules Committee) darn well know...many in the US have actually spent winter preparing XC Soar for this season and buying Dell Streaks to run XC Soar on.

Maybe we should start banning pee systems aimed aft because they give us extra thrust? While your at it maybe we should ban compasses because I can promise you that I can hold course in IMC with that instrument and an airspeed indicator alone? Maybe ban the Airspeed Indicator too? How about we ban all instrumentation altogether and just use the force? How about we ban pilots from watching star wars movies? They might learn something and become able to fly with their eyes closed?

I look forward to more comedy in the weeks to come per your upcoming announcement of this ban of XC soar and any other FREE Navigation Software.

Wow! You cant make this kind of stuff up...

Sincerely,

Sean Fidler
F2
Old February 24th 12, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
YourNameHere

If XC Soar has an artificial horizon, I am unable to find it even on the
latest version.

LK8000 does have and artificial horizon on one screen.

If I am correct on this, why would we ban XC Soar?

Wells

Old February 24th 12, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

I am working with US RC on this. It is -- to say the least --
problematic. I invite concerned XCSoar users who are competition
pilots, or thinking about becoming competition pilots to contact me
directly (reply to author should work here).

Same issues are going to come up with LK8000.

I am an XCSoar end user, tester, enthusiast. I am trying to find the
way here.

Sean, you ain't helping. Posting questions or concerns is one thing,
leaping to conclusions and drawing unwarranted inferences is another.

Insulting the RC publicly is generally bad form, too

You could do me a favor and delete your post before someone quotes it.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old February 24th 12, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The horse has escaped! Quick - lock the barn door!

This time, I have to agree with Sean if it's true that the Rules Committee
plans to ban XCSoar. BTW, I like the idea of banning aft-facing pee tubes.
I'll continue to dump pee bags out on the window on top of that guy gaining
on me in the thermal...

It's my understanding that the AH function of XCSoar is disabled in the
software. I'll try it and see if that's true but, from what I saw yesterday
while playing with the configuration, it consists of an approx 1 cm square
with 3 hyphens in it. I wonder what the resolution of such an "instrument"
would be...

Old February 24th 12, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Evan...I am helping by reporting the madness, trust me.
Old February 24th 12, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I am only criticizing if the report is indeed true. And if it is true my thoughts stand AS IS. RIDICULOUS!!!!!!
Old February 24th 12, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 24, 10:35*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
I am only criticizing if the report is indeed true. *And if it is true my thoughts stand AS IS. *RIDICULOUS!!!!!!

You make friends easy, don't ya?

Someone needs to wap you up side the head with a clue by four.

T8
Old February 24th 12, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 24, 10:09*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
[...]

The statement put on the XCSoar Facebook page is not accurate,
Stand by for the policy which will be available very soon.
UH
Old February 24th 12, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Are you kidding me T8?

Id be happy to talk to you face to face about your concerns. Anytime.
Old February 24th 12, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Feb 24, 10:34*am, Sean Fidler wrote:
Evan...I am helping by reporting the madness, trust me.

No, I am making progress. Quietly and with reasoned argument.

Inflaming passions is not helpful, at all.

T8