Going to get started

Old November 14th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barry[_3_]

Default Going to get started

I've been reading this group for years. I am ready after much thought to
take the plunge and order a kit. I have settled on the Van's RV-7A. My
question is can anyone point me to a summary of how to get started. I'm not
talking about building or anything like that. I mean the paperwork aspect.
I would assume that early on the FAA should know of my project to monitor
it. Who do I contact. Will Van's help with this aspect? Is there anywhere
a good summary of the FAA rules and regulations. Although I have spent
years looking for the right plane, I haven't spent any time looking into the
paperwork and regulatory aspects. Ant input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Barry

Old November 14th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:00:45 -0500, "Barry" wrote:

I've been reading this group for years. I am ready after much thought to
take the plunge and order a kit. I have settled on the Van's RV-7A. My
question is can anyone point me to a summary of how to get started. I'm not
talking about building or anything like that. I mean the paperwork aspect.
I would assume that early on the FAA should know of my project to monitor
it. Who do I contact. Will Van's help with this aspect? Is there anywhere
a good summary of the FAA rules and regulations. Although I have spent
years looking for the right plane, I haven't spent any time looking into the
paperwork and regulatory aspects. Ant input would be appreciated.

Best bet would be to get in touch with your local EAA chapter, and/or the local
group of RV builders.

Paperwork-wise, there's nothing you need to do. The FAA needs notification when
you get near to finishing, but you've got years until that comes around.

FAA Advisory Circular AC 20-27F, "Certification and Operations of Amateur-Built
Aircraft", might be a good start:

http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/AC20-27F.pdf

You don't need to worry about the FAA yet, but you'll need to keep your
receipts, maintain a builder's log, and shoot lots of pictures.

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 14th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

The FAA doesn't care about your project until it is time to get an N number
and have it inspected. Reserving the N-number usually triggers your state
to start charging property taxes on the "airplane", so there is no need to
hurry in getting the N number until your project nears completion.

The FAA has a brochure on registering your homebuilt aircraft. They also
have brochures on planning for your plane's first flight. You should be
able to find the information at FAA.gov. Also, at the big fly-in's
Sun-n-Fun and Oshkosh, there is an FAA building where you can pick-up copies
of these brocures among many others.

If you are interested in getting your airplane inspected during the build
process (and you should be), the EAA has a Tech Counselor program which is
excellent for getting feedback on your project. The EAA website has a
function which lists Tech Counselors by state. Alternately, you could find
an A&P or AI in your area to take a look at your work.

Also, there are numerous online resources for RV builders. Two prominent
ones are the RV List at www.matronics.com and www.vansairforce.net . While
these resources will not take the place of someone checking your work, they
may help you locate other builders in your area who may be able to offer
assistance and advice.

Kyle Boatright
RV-6 N46KB

news