Radiotelephone permit for Canada

Old February 20th 04, 09:18 PM
PaulH

Default Radiotelephone permit for Canada

The AOPA Canada briefing summary says a Radiotelephone Operator's
permit is required for flight into Canada. I did some checking at the
FCC website and it appears that the cost for this piece of paper is
$100. Or am I looking at the wrong piece of paper. Flying is
admittedly expensive, but this seems too much for what appears to be a
pretty trivial document.
Old February 20th 04, 09:35 PM
Casey Webster

"PaulH" wrote in message
om...
The AOPA Canada briefing summary says a Radiotelephone Operator's
permit is required for flight into Canada. I did some checking at the
FCC website and it appears that the cost for this piece of paper is
$100. Or am I looking at the wrong piece of paper. Flying is
admittedly expensive, but this seems too much for what appears to be a
pretty trivial document.

you want a restricted radiotelephone license
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/rp.html

you can get one online at http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls , the cost is $50 iirc
for processing, no test required, and is good for life.

Old February 20th 04, 10:08 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Casey Webster" said:
"PaulH" wrote in message
. com...
The AOPA Canada briefing summary says a Radiotelephone Operator's
permit is required for flight into Canada. I did some checking at the

you want a restricted radiotelephone license
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/rp.html

And you'll never ever ever be asked for it.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Don't even get me started on the MCSEs I know. It's a miracle of
Old February 20th 04, 11:43 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Unless you go to Mexico. Yes, I know you MAY not be asked for it there
either. But who wants to take the chance?

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

take off my shoes to reply

Old February 21st 04, 12:28 AM
MikeM

PaulH wrote:

The AOPA Canada briefing summary says a Radiotelephone Operator's
permit is required for flight into Canada. I did some checking at the
FCC website and it appears that the cost for this piece of paper is
$100. Or am I looking at the wrong piece of paper. Flying is
admittedly expensive, but this seems too much for what appears to be a
pretty trivial document.

My wife is pilot and is from Canada. We live in the US. We own two different
aircraft and average four trips to the Calgary area from the States each year.
In about 20 trans-border flights, the Canadians have never asked to see an ROP.

They routinely ask for:
Registration
Pilot's Licence
Medical
Proof of Insurance.

They always ask if we are carrying firearms...

MikeM
Skylane '1MM
Pacer '00Z

Old February 21st 04, 01:44 AM
Dale

In article ,
MikeM wrote:

My wife is pilot and is from Canada. We live in the US. We own two different
aircraft and average four trips to the Calgary area from the States each
year.
In about 20 trans-border flights, the Canadians have never asked to see an
ROP.

They routinely ask for:
Registration
Pilot's Licence
Medical
Proof of Insurance.

They always ask if we are carrying firearms...

Mike, who's asking for these documents? Is it Customs? My trips
through I wasn't asked anything except about firearms...but that was in
2000.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old February 21st 04, 03:42 AM
Bruce Gray

Especially since when I got mine to many years ago, they were free.
Thankfully they're good for a lifetime.

Bruce
www.glasair.org

om...