Recommendations for a small air compressor????

Old September 28th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl[_1_]

Default Recommendations for a small air compressor????

Maybe you meant 2 CFM at 80. 20CFM is pretty big.

Here is a medium duty compressor

and the following is about the same rating but light weight you can
move around easily:

Most of these types can be found at various local stores at similar
prices.

Lot of people think they need big compressors to build a plane.

I have worn out three compressors building/maintaining my plane. and
never needed more than about 5CFM - unless you use HVLP spray gun at
about 12 CFM - then you can rent one from local rentals. My most recent
one is a less noisy compact unit running at 1800 rpm. A lot of them are
quite noisy and "shake" the house (if you start in the garage).
SQ2000 canard http://www.abri.com/sq2000

mhorowit wrote:
I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

Old September 28th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tom Young[_2_]

"mhorowit" ... wrote:

I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

Not to pound this into the ground, but the basic issue is that a 20A 110V
circuit can only provide about 2-3HP continuous, which limits the compressor
output. If you have a 220V dryer outlet you can hijack, you can go bigger.

Just for reference, I have a two-stage compressor with a 5HP motor running
on 220V. It advertises 13.7 CFM at 90 psi and 12.5 at 175 psi. Measured, it
puts out an honest 11 CFM at 90 and maybe 9 or 10 at 175.

Compressor ratings can be pretty "optimistic," but nothing compared to tool
ratings. My drill was advertised at 4 CFM but uses almost 19 if I run it
continuously. That's fine, duty cycle on a drill is low. Where you really
need to be sure the compressor matches your tool ratings is if you plan to
run continuous-duty (or nearly so) tools, like sanders, polishers, spray
guns, bead blasters, etc.

In general, a bigger compressor is better, if you can afford the money and
space. You can do more with it, and a big tank means it cycles less often,
which means less wear and tear on your ears and on the motor and pump.

Tom Young

Old September 28th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

Good luck finding one of those......

Old September 29th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

I have been looking into the small, portable compressors and the best I
have been able to find was the Porter/Cable from Northern Tool which
specs at PSI: 7.7 CFM @ 40 PSI; 5.3 CFM @ 90 PSI. If you are looking
for something bigger, you will have to go with a larger tank and a bit
more hp. Even then, a 20CFM at 80 PSI is going to be hard to find for
110v power.

Old September 29th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

mhorowit wrote:
I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

I have had extremely bad experiences with Harbor Freight tech help
and parts. Just my 2 cents.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 29th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn

mhorowit wrote:
I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

Another recommendation:

Be sure to drain the accumulated water from the tank weekly!

A few years ago the EAA Vintage magazine had an article on exploding
compressors. The water corrodes the inside of the tank on cheap ones and
works on the welds on the dome. I had one that I operated at 125 PSI and
talked to the author of the article at Oshkosh. He shuddered when I told
him I was operating at 125 PSI and advised me against it.

Later that month I fired up the compressor and noticed that it was
taking an awful amount of time to reach shutoff pressure -- in fact it
never did! I then noticed the sound of air escaping, unplugged it and
left the hangar.

After the air had escaped, I examined the tank and saw about a 1-inch
crack in the weld at the bottom of the dome. It had corroded from the
inside out, but, fortunately, the crack did not propagate further.

I now prefer the upright compressors, as their failure mode would be at
the bottom, rather than blowing the end dome off.
Old September 29th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flybynightkarmarepair

You can read about my experiences buying, and silencing, a TINY
compressor to drive my rivet tools here, in order:

http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/2006/08...ompressor.html
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/2006/08...structure.html
http://users.lmi.net/~ryoung/2006/09...y-cheaper.html

I don't recommend going this small, or this cheap, but it's working so
far. Drives my air pop riveter, and rivet gun, SO FAR.

Old September 29th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
trg-s338

mhorowit wrote:
I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

If you truly want small and 20 cfm flow, the only reasonable answer is
a conversion called Volksair. The size of a VW engine, converted such
that the front cylinders are the compressor pistons and the back
cylinders runs the compressor front cylinders. Conversion kit costs
roughly $450.00. This set up is a monster. Check it out, Google it!

Old September 30th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
guynoir

mhorowit wrote:
I'm looking for a small compressor, running on 110v, min 20 CFM at 80
PSI. Anyone got a recommendation? - Mike

How about 200cfm at 100psi?

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q222120ED