Too Old?

Old September 20th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
David Lesher

Default Too Old?

The age of the aircraft in the GA field worries me more than
that of the pilots...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old September 21st 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:48:11 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
wrote:

The age of the aircraft in the GA field worries me more than
that of the pilots...

age is nothing but a number.

fatigue is the worry and it usually arrives numberless (randomly)

Stealth Pilot
Old September 22nd 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mick[_2_]

Howard Jones aka "Stealth Pilot" wrote in
message ...
| On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:48:11 +0000 (UTC), David Lesher
| wrote:
|

| The age of the aircraft in the GA field worries me more than
| that of the pilots...
|
| age is nothing but a number.
|
| fatigue is the worry and it usually arrives numberless (randomly)
|
| Stealth Pilot

Sounds like the voice of experience, Howard. That's what happens when guys
like you get over the hill.

Old October 4th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Spera

Gezellig wrote:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

I place the cutoff at 5 years older than me....
Old October 4th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Wayne Paul

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
Gezellig wrote:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

I place the cutoff at 5 years older than me....

I agree; therefore, the cut-off age becomes a "moving target."

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old October 13th 08, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:25:08 GMT, wrote:

In rec.aviation.piloting Gezellig wrote:
Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

Lordy...My uncle still looked to be under 50 when he turned 80.
He didn't show his age until about 85-86 where the arthritis started
bending him out of shape. OTOH his grand kids took him out for dinner
a week after his 99th birthday. The women were still hitting on him.
They went home, he sat down in an easy chair and died.

The cut off should be based on whether he knows what day it is...er
no, most of us who are retired don't know that. I guess I'd say if
they can see, aren't senile, have reasonable reflexes, and good
judgmental skills they'd qualify. I realize I just eliminated about
half the drivers on the road though:-))

When you can't pass the medical; that's what it is for.

Everyone's biology is different.

I think just about everyone knows people who are healthy as a horse
and in their late 80's and people who've dropped dead in their 50's.

My ex wife's dad was roofing those big hip roofed barns in his middle
80's. I'd bet he was near 100 when he kicked the bucket. He was too
ornery to let go.

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old October 13th 08, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 17:29:39 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote:

Gezellig wrote:
On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 20:44:51 -0400, Dudley Henriques wrote:

I would have no
problem with medicals requiring a shorter active period based on a
proactive projection of accident stats vs health issues within a
specific age bracket graduated after say a beginning point of 40.
In other words, the older you get and/or when you enter into an age
bracket where stats put you at a higher risk factor, the period of your
medical shortens accordingly.

This makes sense especially if the quality of the medical is increased
accordingly.

The rub in all this, even in my own projection, is that it assumes that
sooner or later a pilot will reach a "no further medicals allowed" point
where a mandatory retirement is indicated.

Disagree. If you can pass a sophisticated and comprehensive medical,
there should be no approach points. Pass = fly regardless of age.

Make sure we're on the same page with the above. I might not have stated
this as accurately as I should have,
What I'm saying doesn't conflict with the Pass= fly regardless of age.
It simply RECOGNIZES that at a certain point while following the "plan",
a pilot WILL reach a specific point in time where the medical can no
longer be passed. In other words, Fail= no longer fly.
What I'm saying is simply that even my "plan" so to speak, ends up with
basically what we have now :-)) You fly until you can't pass the
physical then no more. The same issue remains. The "rub" is that no
matter what is done, the end of the road seems unchanged. There can very
well be a point where the pilot passes the physical at some ripe old

Of 30 or so.

Yes the odds of a medical condition do go up with age, but life style
(exercise and diet) play a major part now day.

Probably most of us know people *appeared* to be in good health that
had heart attacks in their 30's and 40's.

But statistically speaking when age AND lifestyle are taken into
account the results are pretty accurate. The main anomaly being
genetic disorders.

Another is strokes. They have been though to be age related, but I
found they happen to about 1% of the Caucasian population as a TIA
prior to adult hood. To some races that is as high as 10% and they
appear to be pretty well distributed across ages up through some where
between 50 and 60. Even after that most tend to be related to high
blood pressure and/or high cholesterol with plaque buildup in the
arteries. OTOH there are exceptions even to that.

age, then has that heart attack in the air during the periods between
physicals.
This is the basis for what I have envisioned as a "plan" to shorten the
period between physicals as a pilot ages.

Considering present regulations, the engine to implement such a plan
would be extremely difficult to design and push through the required
legislation.

Can't argue with this, don't have the expertise.

You're doing well :-))