Mountain Flying

Old November 7th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Default Mountain Flying

Living in Colorado and doing a bit of mountain flying, I've observed
the following items for consideration when I fly in the mountains. By
no means comprehensive, just some observations.

1. Weather. Generally the wind is higher in the mountains and
especially when you cross the ridgetops. It is not unusual to see 20mph
faster winds directly over the divide. You need a notch better weather
for mountain flying than flatland flying. Read and give PIREPS.

2. Decents take some planning. You want to stay below Va due to
turbulence (especially true on the lee side of the ridges). You dont
want to shock cool your engine (no more than 50 degrees cooling on the
CHT per minute according to Lycoming). So you can't just push the nose
down, nor can you just pull the power. You have to leave some power in
and take some time and distance to come down. You have been leaning on
the way up, and the mixture is probably quite far out for the altitude
you are descending to. I find it's best to leave the mixture out so
long as the engine will run smoothly (usually does at such low or even
no power setting). If you get to the pattern and pull the carb heat and
get an RPM increase it might be due to the fact that you forgot to
richen up at the end of your descent. (Then again it could be carb
ice).

3. A lot of pilots in Colorado seem to like straight in approaches in
the mountains, and it may be a bit easier that way. If the turbulence
is low and the weather is good, I like to fly a standard pattern. I
think most all the airports in Colorado, the terrain allows a standard,
if a bit tight, of a pattern or slightly modified pattern. Just keep in
mind, just because there are mountains doesnt mean you cant fly a
pattern. Frequently you can. It is fun and a challenge. Just make sure
you leave yourself an out to the downvalley side in case you run out of
room or seem to be headed for a ridge that you wont clear. If you go
to the Idaho backcountry airports, you will find that they all seem to
like to fly patterns in some pretty tight canyons. I was astounded how
close to the steep valley side I was flying in doing so. I guess its
all what you are used to.

4. Ridge lift. There is usually ridge lift on the windward side of
ridges. You should learn how to use it to get you up over the ridge
even if your airplane has the power to do so without the lift. It is a
very wonderful part of the mountain flying experience and can save you
fuel and actually help you get over when it is hot and you are heavy.

All for now. Fly safe.

Old November 9th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Have you taken either the CPA high-altitude course or the
mountain course in Idaho?

Old November 9th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Blanche wrote in news:1163050411.393609
@irys.nyx.net:

Have you taken either the CPA high-altitude course

Are accounting rules different at high-altitude?
Old November 9th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Not exactly, but I have flown with experienced pilots and have landed
at every charted airport in Colorado mountains and most of the
backcountry airports in Idaho. Idaho technique is a bit different than
what is taught in Colorado. In Idaho they tend to fly full patterns in
some pretty restricted areas. Colorado seems to advocate more "straight
in" approaches. I have done both. Both work. Biggest issue to me is the
answer to the question "Is there a go around?". If not, the
seriousness of the approach goes up immensely. Stay safe out there.