Getting rid of turbines. (grin)

Old December 5th 03, 05:06 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: Getting rid of turbines. (grin)
From: "Dudley Henriques"
Date: 12/4/03 8:44 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

Date: 12/4/03 4:51 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[snip]
Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a small lady-like poot
and
start whining louder.

Round engines give a satisfying rattle-rattle, click-click BANG, more
rattles,
another BANG, a big macho f..t or two, more clicks, a lot of smoke and
finally
a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a guy thing.

If you have ever been around a low bypass turbofan operating at max AB,
you'll know what a macho motor is . Your chest cavity resonates with a

low
frequency rumble and the ground shakes beneath your feet. Its like

taking a
shot of testosterone.

Round motors are for kids .... :-)

Mark Johnston

"I love the smell of JP-8 in the morning ..."

Guess you never rode between two roaring R-2800's high over Germany with

flak
bursts singing in hamony with the Pratt and Whitney double Wasps? .Music

to our
ears. .Turbines are for girls. Little girls.(;-))

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Flew a Bearcat with a 2800. It's a great engine. They did manage to stick a
4360 in a Corsair. The numbers were quite impressive,
I wish I could have flown it....just once. Just starting the damn thing was
a day's work. :-))
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/ CFI Retired
For personal email, please replace
the z's with e's.
dhenriquesATzarthlinkDOTnzt

Starting it up was a beautiful experience and a sound you never fofrget.. And
when you come back with a couple of cylinders shot out and it never missed a
beat, it is an engine that you grow to love with all your heart.

Regards,

Old December 5th 03, 03:20 PM
Dudley Henriques

From: "Dudley Henriques"
Date: 12/4/03 8:44 PM Pacific Standard Time

Date: 12/4/03 4:51 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

I had a friend who flew a Bearcat on the airshow circuit during the sixties.
He had beautifully hand painted on the lower side of the left cowl, "Baby,
if you love me, don't EVER leave me" :-)

Old December 5th 03, 03:46 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Dudley Henriques"
Date: 12/5/03 7:20 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

Funny how a thread like his can bring back memories rarely thought of in over
60 years. This was a conversation that lasted only 20 seconds, but this thread
brought it all back. It was announced that we would be losing our B-26
Marauders and they would be replaced with Douglas A-26 Invaders. One guy said,
" I hope they do as well for us as the Marauders did". The guy answered,
"They got R-2800's. We'll be ok". Of course the Invaders were better planes.
But it was never the same. Our old smelly, dented battered war weary Marauders
were personalised. We always flew the same plane with our nose art on it, Once
we got Invaders, no nose art allowed. We never flew the same plane twice or
knew in advance which plane we would be flying. It all became cold and
impersonal. After all these years I often think of "Willie the Wolf" But never
think of those shiny new Invaders with any sense of fondness.. Ah Willie. One
of a too long list of absent friends. (sigh)

Old December 5th 03, 05:05 PM
Dudley Henriques

From: "Dudley Henriques"
Date: 12/5/03 7:20 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

Yeah, it can bring back memories all right, and some of them aren't all that
good, at least for me anyway. My friend with the Bearcat went in doing a
show at Quonset Point in 71 when he lost a wing during a loop recovery.
(investigation verified a crack in the main spar)
So I guess in the end it wasn't the old 2800 that "left him" after all.

You combat people have a special affinity for the machines that took you
into harm's way and returned you back home again. I can tell you that I
don't know one member of the combat aircrew community who, like yourself,
doesn't get that old "nostalgia look" in their eye when talking about the
planes that got them there and back again.
It's interesting to note along these lines that I know one pilot who went
through the entire war flying two different types; first a Jug, then a 51.
He was high enough in grade to have his own bird assigned, which he flew as
often as he could. Both airplanes got him there and back many....many times,
on several occasions, sustaining heavy damage. Every time we get together
with the guys and start talking favorite airplanes, he just sort of clams
up. We finally decided he just refuses to pick one over the other. He
verified this for me one night in a rare moment of shared reflection over
some Jack Daniels. He said picking one over the other made it feel almost
like a personal betrayal. I'm absolutely convinced he meant exactly what he
had said.
It's truly amazing how deep these things actually go. Some of it remains
personal with the people affected all their lives. It's an attachment and
affection that no one, including myself, although completely understanding
of it,could ever hope to fully appreciate.

Old December 5th 03, 05:15 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Dudley Henriques"
Date: 12/5/03 9:05 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

I'll take memories of "Willie"and those death defying R-2800's to my grave
and every man on my crew as well. (sigh)

Old December 6th 03, 05:25 AM
WaltBJ

Round engines? Okay for nostalgia. Lousy for a TransPacific flight.
Shake rattle and roll. Just the airframe vibration is enough to drive
you nuts after the first ten hours. And ask the mechanics who have to
maintain them. Think of changing 56 plugs in a 4350. I watched a mech
changing the prop governor on a 3350 - what a miserable installation.
One of those where just threading a mounting nut on its stud is damn
near impossible unless you wear size four gloves because the body of
the governor overhangs the mounting plate about an inch past the four
studs and with about 3/8 inch vertical clearance of those studs. And
all the cracks in the airframe from the constant vibration, inherent
in the design of the beast. A 2000 hour TBO? There are turbine engines
that have done ten times that. The engine that sends a thrill up my
spine is the J79 - 6 seconds, idle to full military. Our 104As with
the Dash 19 engines - brake release to .97Mach (760 mph @ 85F) in 43
seconds. That, my friends, was a rush, way back in 1967!
Walt BJ