Cost of ownership????

Old March 21st 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lou

Default Cost of ownership????

I (like everyone else) am considering purchasing a plane. I've looked
up the cost of ownership in this group and came up with some good
information. However, I'm looking for a spreadsheet that I can plug
the numbers into. Has anyone either made this or know where to
download one? It's probebly not hard to do but I thought I would look
here first. Anybody? Anybody? Anybody?
Lou

Old March 21st 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Anybody? Anybody? Anybody?

I know there are guys here who have just the spreadsheet you're
looking for, but I've found that I'm much happier when I don't analyze
it too closely.

You can really keep your costs down by doing most of your regular
maintenance yourself. Oil changes, etc, can all be done by the owner,
and that really adds up over time.

When you want to know how much money it costs to feed an airplane,
just figure "all of it", and you'll be close to right...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 21st 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_2_]

AOPA has a couple worksheets on their ownership/partnership page.
Just yesterday I figured our ownership & operating costs for the Aztec over
the past 2.5 years.
I didn't hit the floor too hard.
Jim

oups.com...

Old March 21st 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blanche

Lou -- there are fixed costs (hangar, insurance, mortgage if needed)
and variable costs. The fixed costs are easy. The variable are not.

Variable:
fuel & oil
repairs, maintenance,improvements
Unexpected and surprising costs!

And, as Jay points out, you can do a fair amount of work (Preventive
Maintenance, as per the FAA) yourself. But then you need to make sure
you have tools and equipment to do this. More costs.

On the other hand, if you really total up and make realistic estimates
of a budget, you'll probably decide not to buy an airplane.

*sigh*

Old March 21st 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:25:47 -0600, "Jim Burns"
wrote:

AOPA has a couple worksheets on their ownership/partnership page.
Just yesterday I figured our ownership & operating costs for the Aztec over
the past 2.5 years.
I didn't hit the floor too hard.
Jim

snip

Usually when a prospective owner talks to me about how much it costs
to own/fly, I tell them to go to the bank, get $500 ($1000 for a twin)
in $20's and come back out to the hangar some day when the wind is
calm.

I tell them that if they cannot make a nice little bonfire on the ramp
out of the cash, turn and walk away with a smile on their face and no
regrets, in my opinion they are not truly ready for the costs of
owning a tyoe-certificated airplane.

The funny part is that most of them think I'm kidding...

TC
Old March 22nd 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Tim

wrote:

AOPA has a couple worksheets on their ownership/partnership page.
Just yesterday I figured our ownership & operating costs for the Aztec over
the past 2.5 years.
I didn't hit the floor too hard.
Jim

snip

Usually when a prospective owner talks to me about how much it costs
to own/fly, I tell them to go to the bank, get $500 ($1000 for a twin)
in $20's and come back out to the hangar some day when the wind is
calm.

I tell them that if they cannot make a nice little bonfire on the ramp
out of the cash, turn and walk away with a smile on their face and no
regrets, in my opinion they are not truly ready for the costs of
owning a tyoe-certificated airplane.

The funny part is that most of them think I'm kidding...

TC

That's funny. I came to a similar conclusion. I could just as easily
throw $10 or $20 out the window every day of the year and be about even
for the year. That does not include the fuel.

I was appalled at the airshares offer I received in the mail. I was
going to talk to the rep about how ridiculously they priced their rates.
Then I started evaluating how much it REALLY costs me to own/operate
my own plane... Well, airshares started looking A LOT better.

I stopped tracking my costs. HEad in the sand for now with me.

Old March 21st 07, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lou

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Lou

Old March 23rd 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

You're welcome. FYI, I stopped using it because I didn't like what it was
telling me.

oups.com...