aviation helping people get out of the Houston Area ?

Old September 22nd 05, 11:11 PM
John Doe

Default aviation helping people get out of the Houston Area ?

How is the aviation industry, both commercial and GA helping people get out
of the Houston area?

Have airlines surgered flights and changed to larger airplanes to get more
people out of the airports that are waiting in line? I'd expect to see
nothing but the largest aircraft on the ramp loading as many people as they
can carry.

Are there airports where GA can fly in to help get people out? I've read
reports of the help GA has been able to provide AFTER Katrina hit, but what
about helping people get out BEFORE the storm?

Seems like our evacuation plans are extremely primitive leaving it up to the
individual to get himself out of the area and not providing many additional
resources to assist.

Old September 23rd 05, 05:01 AM
Capt.Doug

"John Doe" wrote in message
Are there airports where GA can fly in to help get people out? I've read
reports of the help GA has been able to provide AFTER Katrina hit, but

what
about helping people get out BEFORE the storm?

GA operates out of most airports. Most private pilots are too busy getting
their own affairs in order before evacuating. There isn't time to offer
multiple flights out. The commercial operators are flying people out in
droves. The phone in my air taxi business was quite busy today. Perhaps you
don't see this happening because you aren't familiar with aviation?

Seems like our evacuation plans are extremely primitive leaving it up to

the
individual to get himself out of the area and not providing many

additional
resources to assist.

You want something done, you have to do it yourself. Florida had 4
hurricanes last year and 3 so far this year. All they do is suspend highway
tolls and open all lanes in the direction direction. It works for them.
Spread the word that individuals are to be held accountable for themselves.

D.

Old September 23rd 05, 11:40 AM
John Doe

"Capt.Doug" wrote in message
"John Doe" wrote in message
Are there airports where GA can fly in to help get people out? I've read
reports of the help GA has been able to provide AFTER Katrina hit, but

what
about helping people get out BEFORE the storm?

GA operates out of most airports. Most private pilots are too busy getting
their own affairs in order before evacuating. There isn't time to offer
multiple flights out. The commercial operators are flying people out in
droves. The phone in my air taxi business was quite busy today. Perhaps
you
don't see this happening because you aren't familiar with aviation?

Actually I am quite familiar with aviation. I'm just not familiar with how
it's being used in pre-storm evacuation operations.

We have the capability to execute the Berlin airlift and feed an entire
urban population throughout a German winter, but we can't get a few thousand
people out of the Houston airport?

I would just like to see what's being done from the aviation side to get the
people who want to fly out of that area. You'd think a few C-17s could
empty that airport in less than a day.

Old September 23rd 05, 02:26 PM
john smith

I would just like to see what's being done from the aviation side to get the
people who want to fly out of that area. You'd think a few C-17s could
empty that airport in less than a day.

Take a class in logistics and learn what is involved in moving goods
from point A to point B. Build on that knowledge and make a plan for
moving hundreds of thousands of goods from point A to point B, C, D,
E,...