Best portable map to help when doing IFR flight

Old February 22nd 05, 12:10 AM

Default Best portable map to help when doing IFR flight

I went up with a friend who is a CFII to do some night IFR last
Tuesday. Everything went fine, except when So. Cal. cleared me to RAL
for CNO GPS-B while I was going out bound from the published hold at
PDZ, I could not get RAL programmed into my Trimble 2000 Approach as
the IAF. I tried it again, and it just sequenced to HINTIN by itself.
RAL VOR was out, so I could not pick it up on my NAV/COM. Finally, my
friend gave me a heading to RAL from his Anywhere Map. Everything went
fine after that.

I will study my Trimble 2000 Approach's operation to find out what I
did wrong. But my friend's Anywhere Map showed me the value of having
a color moving map during IFR approachs, and now I want a color moving
map for myself.

I know panel mount like Gramin 430/530 or 480 w/MX20 are nice, but I
have no budget for a panel mount right now. So, I am looking for the
best portable map FOR IFR FLIGHT on the market.

The following are a list of features that I wish for. But I am willing
to settle for something that is as close as possible:

Color,
Bigger the better (to help with my aging eyes),
Approach procedures (at less with final approach waypoints like Garmin
296, but all waypoints, including waypoints for ILS and DME, will be
nicer),
Holding patterns,
Terrain warning,
Vertical navigation for published LNAV/VNAV and LPV approaches (are
they available on any protable?),
Automatic log book.

I will consider PDA or PC based system as well.

Your suggestion?

Old February 22nd 05, 02:15 PM
Cheetah236

I use Anywhere Map on an IPAQ PDA and can recommend it. I, too, have a
character-based IFR Approach-certified GPS (Northstar M3), and
appreciate the extra situational awareness provided by a color moving
map.

I've used Lowrance Airmap GPS's and much prefer the display and upgrade
ability inherent in a software-only solution.

Anywhere Map is available for PDA's and for tablet or laptop (Windows
XP) devices. It isn't perfect but they are working on it continuously.
It offers terrain warning, vertical navigation and, at the moment, very
rudimentary approach capability. They've indicated that full approaches
will be available in a future upgrade.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:46 PM

On 22 Feb 2005 06:15:14 -0800, "Cheetah236"
wrote:

Anywhere Map is available for PDA's and for tablet or laptop (Windows
XP) devices. It isn't perfect but they are working on it continuously.
It offers terrain warning, vertical navigation and, at the moment, very
rudimentary approach capability. They've indicated that full approaches
will be available in a future upgrade.

Which they have been indicating for about three years now, perhaps
more.

I'm not knocking the product, I use it and I like it, especially
having the multifunction of the PDA. I use it with a bluetooth GPS,
which eliminates a lot of wiring.

But they really ought to pull the "beta release" crap from their
website. After three or so years of "beta", it's time to call it
something else.
Old February 22nd 05, 02:53 PM

Take a look at the AnywhereMap system from Control Vision. I just
checked mine for RAL and it popped right up. I wouldn't focus too much
on using a PDA for approaches, however. They're not legal for approach
guidance, and you'll never be able to use it for a checkride. I rely
on mine primarily for weather (XM download) and backup in case of
electrical failure. I think you can get reconditioned Garmin IFR
approach certified panel GPS units for similar prices. IFR in real IMC
is serious stuff, and if you can't fly a hold without seeing a moving
map, forget it.

Old February 23rd 05, 12:42 PM
cyclone69

I must admit I thought that GPS type systems were only supposed to be used
as a secondary form of navigational aid. If you use and depend on it too
much the day it goes down is the day you will really struggle. Just a
thought

Steve

ups.com...

Old February 24th 05, 03:37 AM

I have my IFR rating for few years now, and the flying part is not a
problem. I can manage hold on Nav/Com & timer just fine. I am still a
bit new with approach able GPS (my Trimble Approach 2000 is IFR
approach able).

The reason of my post was because I just realized the value of having a
portable moving map. I know their limitation and I have no intention
to use any portable device for approach guildance. However, with a
moving map, I could point the cleared waypoint to the top of the map
while I program my IFR-approach able GPS to do what I need it to do,
and that is the use I am looking for.

Old February 24th 05, 03:38 AM

Thanks, the TrueMap looks really impresive. Have you used Jeppesen
FlightDeck? How do they compair?