Anyone Remember "Mid-Continent Airlines"?

Old September 21st 05, 02:49 AM
Montblack

("Steven P. McNicoll" wrote)
I have a history of Northwest Airlines, "Flight to the Top" by Kenneth D
Ruble. It contains a Northwest Airways route map, originally published in
The St. Paul Daily News of June 15, 1930. It shows service to Sioux City
from St. Paul and on to Omaha but no further.

I grew up with the "Northwest Orient (pause) ...Airlines" jingle.

(From Wikipedia)
On 1 October 1986, Northwest purchased its competitor, Minneapolis-St.
Paul-based Republic Airlines and adopted its three-hub network centered
around Minneapolis-St. Paul, Detroit, and Memphis. Northwest dropped the
word Orient from its brand name after the merger. The legal name has been
Northwest Airlines since 1934.

....which is why 'Steven's' 1930 map is a "Northwest Airways" route map.

Found that interesting, in an airline history kind of way.

Montblack

Old September 21st 05, 02:14 PM
Jay Honeck

I'll scan the route map and post it to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation.

Sorry, Steven -- my mail server dumped it before I could see it.

If you get a minute, can you email it to me, please?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 21st 05, 02:47 PM
Jay Honeck

I grew up with the "Northwest Orient (pause) ...Airlines" jingle.

Me, too!

I used to LOVE that jingle. In it was all the potential adventure and
exploration a young lad in the Midwest could ever imagine. It played
endlessly on the AM radio stations of my youth.

They really should never have dropped "Orient" from their name. After that
they lost their allure, IMHO.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 21st 05, 03:37 PM
beavis

In article fwdYe.355117$x96.5301@attbi_s72, Jay Honeck
wrote:

They really should never have dropped "Orient" from their name. After that
they lost their allure, IMHO.

I can't tell you how mortified I am that they're going by "NWA" now...