Airport Cafe

Old September 20th 05, 11:48 PM
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

Besides, no matter how much I proof read my own stuff, I ALWAYS make
mistakes. That's why newspapers have "Editors" -- cuz no one is very
good at spotting their own flubs.

And your (rare) mistakes give us mere English mortals some hope. :-)

As always, Jay, I very much enjoy reading your stories. Please keep
posting that kind of work.

--
Peter
Off to regain my night currency tonight...

Old September 20th 05, 11:48 PM
RST Engineering

St. Peter is awakened early one morning by somebody banging and clanging on
the gates. He opens one sleepy eye and yells out, "Who is it?"

The answer comes back, "It is I."

St. Peter groans, "$#!|, another English teacher."

Jim

Old September 21st 05, 12:01 AM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Now take a note: it's "... LIE down on the seat" (lie is intransitive,
lay is transitive -- unless you're talking about the homonyms). You lay
down the pencil. You lie down to sleep.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

Is laying yourself down [to sleep] intransitive - you become the pencil?

Crap. I mean transitive.

Try not to worry too much about it. My English professors (the good
ones, anyway) taught me that English is a living, breathing animal that
can't be caged or contained inside such silly, pedantic rules.

Ah, your professors didn't know the rules either, eh? :-)

Matt
Old September 21st 05, 01:22 AM
A Lieberman

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 04:26:33 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

All the way back to Iowa City I couldn't help but ponder the strange
attraction that airport cafes have for the best of people, even for those
who no longer fly.

Great post Jay,

I keep telling my wife, when we retire, that I would love to open a cafe.
The market is there, no question about it.

I love to fly, she loves to cook, I love to hangar fly, she loves talking
with people, which in my opinion would be a win - win situation.

My biggest disappointment for my $100 burger runs, is that most cafes are
closed on weekends. I hope to change that in my corner of the world, when
my turn comes.

Allen
Old September 21st 05, 02:34 AM
john smith

I keep telling my wife, when we retire, that I would love to open a cafe.
The market is there, no question about it.

I don't know what the business situation is where you live, but here in
Central Ohio, 50% of the new restaurants don't last one year.
Old September 21st 05, 03:50 AM
Jack Allison

Cool story Jay...but are you sure it just wasn't Montblack in disguise?
I'm thinking unshaven, disheveled hair...yep, that could be him.
Check the scars :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old September 21st 05, 04:16 AM
A Lieberman

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:34:25 GMT, john smith wrote:

I keep telling my wife, when we retire, that I would love to open a cafe.
The market is there, no question about it.

I don't know what the business situation is where you live, but here in
Central Ohio, 50% of the new restaurants don't last one year.

Hey John,

Suffice it to say, it would be a supplement to my retirement. My own
airport only has vending machines. Per airnav.com

Aircraft operations: avg 148/day
54% local general aviation
46% transient general aviation
1% military

That's a lot of traffic, which includes corporate jets and king airs. So,
I would have a very interested market at my own airport. We get a lot of
weekend warriors that fly in. Lets also talk about the hangar flyers that
show up 7:00 in the morning for their cup of coffee. Lots of potential to
say the least.

Location, naturally is everything. If I look at HKS (Class D airport),
they average the following per airnav.com

Aircraft operations: avg 171/day
51% local general aviation
37% transient general aviation
6% military
6% air taxi

So, I have 2 airports I can consider within 10 miles of where I live.

Personally, I wouldn't want a full scale restaurant, just something where
pilots can come in, get something decent home cooked food to eat and fly
away to return another date. It sure would beat vending machines!

Allen
Old September 21st 05, 04:40 AM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote

St. Peter groans, "$#!|, another English teacher."

chuckle Thanks, I needed that!
--
Jim in NC
Old September 21st 05, 05:09 AM
john smith

Personally, I wouldn't want a full scale restaurant, just something where
pilots can come in, get something decent home cooked food to eat and fly
away to return another date. It sure would beat vending machines!

Okay, Allen, let me throw this at you...
A friend of mine just "retired" from running the Barnstormer Restaurant
at KOSU/Don Scott Field, The Ohio State University Airport.
He took over the operation after two previous operators, experienced in
the restaurant business locally, declined to renew their operating lease
with the airport.
Decide what hours you are going to be open.
Breakfast (for the corporates and GA), lunch (for the GA crowd), or
dinner (aviation and general public)?
Is this to be a "mom & pop" place?
Who is going to take over if mom and/or pop get sick or have to take
care of something else?
This is a business that requires long hours. Don't count on having time
to get away to go flying.
Old September 21st 05, 02:32 PM
Jay Honeck

This is a business that requires long hours. Don't count on having time
to get away to go flying.

True enough. But if you're doing what you love to do, it's no longer
"work"...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Palo Alto airport, potential long-term problems... [email protected] Piloting 7 June 6th 05 11:32 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM