CV's Pocket Plates

Old January 14th 04, 04:32 AM
ROBIN FLY

Default CV's Pocket Plates

Anyone has any real world experience using Control Vision's Pocket Plates?
Does the geo-refenced function work as advertised?

Robin
Old January 14th 04, 02:08 PM

Robin,

I haven't used PocketPlates but I'm considering a purchase. There are a few
comments on ControlVision's "forums" which you might want to check out:

http://forum.controlvision.com/

There was also a recent report on AvWeb by Mike Busch:

http://www.avweb.com/news/reviews/185906-1.html

Actually, PocketPlates is only one part of that article.

Just airmchair flying, I have two issues with this approach (no pun
intended):

1) display size: a solution I'm considering for this is a "pda magnifier"
such as the one on this site: http://www.officeonthegogo.com/
2) notams: maybe I'm just anal, but I like to update my charts when they
publish new minimums/procedures by notam (e.g. cat B DH now 700 instead of
600). I don't think you can update the PocketPlates charts because they're
just scanned in images. I'd have to use a sticky note on the panel or
something.

As I understand it, the position information on the plate only works if
you're using AnywhereMap (or AnywhereWX). At least, that's what the web
page seems to imply. You might double check with ControlVision on that one.

blue skies (or VMC on top anyway),
mark

data plates Del Rawlins Home Built 2 August 21st 04 10:34 PM
Oshkosh Pictures are up.. Dennis Home Built 0 August 8th 04 03:52 PM