Glider towing with 08 Honda CR-V?

Old October 15th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default Glider towing with 08 Honda CR-V?

I just bought a 2008 CR-V with no expectation of towing anything with
it, but the book says it will tow up to 1500 pounds, so now I'm
wondering if it would be worthwhile to add a hitch so I can tow a
utility trailer, and the glider for short hauls or when the primary
tow vehicle isn't available.

I imagine the top towing speed would be pretty limited ... the Honda
Pilot I used a few years ago was subject to fishtailing above ~63 mph,
regardless of the trailer tongue weight. With a shorter wheel base,
the CR-V would likely be worse. Does anyone have any experience towing
a glider behind this generation CR-V?

Thanks

~ted/2NO
Old October 15th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Copeland[_2_]

A Honda CR-V would be regarded as quite a large vehicle in the UK where
petrol (gasoline) is taxed out of sight by our wonderful tax loving,
motorist hating, Nu Labour Government. We tow glider trailers with far
smaller vehicles than that! It may be a good idea to keep your speed down
to below 60mph though.

Del Copeland

Old October 15th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo Rumpf[_2_]

The comment below may not directly apply.
I have towed a few different glider trailers with different tow vehicles.
I assumed if one unit tows well, the next identical trailer, with the same
weight layout (I am not yet talking about the axel placement) would tow
alike.

My last experience was revealing. I picked up my new to me cobra trailer
with the same loading as my previous cobra trailer.
I noticed, as soon I hit the high way, it towed not as well as the
previous one. I normally drive 75-80 m/h when legal and suitable. I had to
reduce the speed to below 70 m/h

As soon I got home and backed into my drive way I noticed that
the trailer wheels did not align with my marks on the asphalt,
which I use to help backup the other trailer with ease. The axel was 12"
forward of the other cobra trailer. This original trailer set-up,
including the glider came from Schleicher and Cobra. My other trailer,
which towed so well, came for the same the sources. It shows that the
trailer people do not pay attention to details.

I can assure you that if the set up is right, the safe speed
if quite high. As I drove the first cobra trailer and content across
the western states from Nevada to Ontario with a Ford extended Aero star
which was not the greatest tow vehicle. I was able to maintain a
comfortable high speed, till I got back to the more eastern regions were
slower speed limits are enforced. I use now Honda Odyssey for towing and
your Honda CRV should be just fine.
Udo

Old October 15th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You can tow with just about any vehicle as long as you are aware of
the limitations and what create them. Small engines accelerate slowly
and limit top speed. Auto transmissions instead of stick shifts are
often the main limiting factor, depending upon the terrain you tow
over, etc. Be careful not to overheat the transmission in hot weather-
either by climbing or running too fast. Re Udo's comments and issues
of towing stability, try to put about 10% of the loaded trailer weight
on the tongue for starters, and if you trailer on radial tires run
them with plenty of pressure. Squishy tires are like sloppy ailerons
which produce flutter at high speeds. Add more weight to the tongue if
you are fish-tailing and the CR-V can handle it.

-Gary Osoba
Old October 15th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

On Oct 15, 8:30*am, Tuno wrote:
I just bought a 2008 CR-V with no expectation of towing anything with
it, but the book says it will tow up to 1500 pounds, so now I'm
wondering if it would be worthwhile to add a hitch so I can tow a
utility trailer, and the glider for short hauls or when the primary
tow vehicle isn't available.

I imagine the top towing speed would be pretty limited ... the Honda
Pilot I used a few years ago was subject to fishtailing above ~63 mph,
regardless of the trailer tongue weight. With a shorter wheel base,
the CR-V would likely be worse. Does anyone have any experience towing
a glider behind this generation CR-V?

Thanks

~ted/2NO

I used a 1999 Honda CR-V to tow my Komet trailer for a few seasons.
It worked great, but I did feel the weight as comapred to my 2004
Honda Pilot which tows like a dream. I've not experienced the fish
tailing with my trailer and the Pilot you described. I typically set
the speed control for 60 MPH and it is great. When passing or going
to higher speeds is also fine.

The differences I've experienced between to CR-V and the Pilot towing
the same trailer have been more about the general weight and power
difffernces between the two. I fly in California so mountain driving
and long high speed freeway trips are the norm. The two vehicles get
about the same milage when towing, the Pilot however tows at a much
lower engine RPM. The CR-V could have used more power and more
overall weight in my opinion.

I have a friend who uses a 2004 CR-V towing a Cobra trailer and he has
never mentioned any issues.

Dan Rihn
ASW-20 WO
Old October 16th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Oct 15, 3:34*pm, Dan wrote:
On Oct 15, 8:30*am, Tuno wrote:

[...]

I have who uses a 2004 CR-V towing a Cobra trailer and he has
never mentioned any issues.

Dan Rihn
ASW-20 WO

The 2008 CR-V is a quite different beast from earlier models - longer,
wider, heavier and more powerful - all the things that should help its
towing capability. It certainly should be fine for short distances.
Stability depends on many things, but is often more sensitive to the
distance of the tow hitch behind the rear axle and the softness of the
tires and suspension. We have one club member in Arizona who used a
Subaru Forester for several years and I'm sure this is quite
comparable to the CR-V in these regards.

Mike
Old October 16th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

The 2008 CR-V is a quite different beast from earlier models - longer,
wider, heavier and more powerful - all the things that should help its
towing capability. *It certainly should be fine for short distances.
Stability depends on many things, but is often more sensitive to the
distance of the tow hitch behind the rear axle and the softness of the
tires and suspension. *We have one club member in Arizona who used a
Subaru Forester for several years and I'm sure this is quite
comparable to the CR-V in these regards.

Mike- Hide quoted text -

A 2005 Forester (either manual or automatic transmission, turbo or non-
turbo) is rated to tow:
1,000 lbs if the trailer is unbraked
2,400 lbs if the trailer is braked.

CR-V's (and Elements) are rated to tow 1,500 lbs.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
Old October 16th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I own a 2001 Honda Accord EX. It's a 4 cylinder Vtec engine. I
pulled an ASW-15B, that I just bought from New Castle, VA to Olive
Branch, MS. I had no problems what so ever. Coming over the
mountains I slowed to 55 mph going up the steep hills, but on the
flats I cruised at 65 mph. It did fine and got good gas mileage. My
car is an automatic transmission. The fluid was red at the beginning
of the trip ( I had it changed) and it was red after 650 miles.

Seems like a good tow vehicle to tow with me.
Old October 16th 08, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 44

On Oct 15, 8:30*am, Tuno wrote:
I just bought a 2008 CR-V with no expectation of towing anything with
it, but the book says it will tow up to 1500 pounds, so now I'm
wondering if it would be worthwhile to add a hitch so I can tow a
utility trailer, and the glider for short hauls or when the primary
tow vehicle isn't available.

I imagine the top towing speed would be pretty limited ... the Honda
Pilot I used a few years ago was subject to fishtailing above ~63 mph,
regardless of the trailer tongue weight. With a shorter wheel base,
the CR-V would likely be worse. Does anyone have any experience towing
a glider behind this generation CR-V?

Thanks

~ted/2NO

Ted:

I own a Honda CRV 2007 and I had the trailer hitch added. I towed my
Discus in a Cobra trailer with it just fine on freeway and local
roads. Freeway speeds of 70 and climbing hills 60. It is noticable
on the passes that you may not maintain full speed limit but it gets
there while sipping gasoline.

Old October 16th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

on the passes that you may not maintain full speed limit but it gets
there while sipping gasoline.

How about my 2000 Mazda Protege ES? 70mph towing an 80's Cobra
trailer with a DG-300 inside. Over the Cascade mountain pass between
Seattle and Eastern Washington state I get an even 20mpg. :-)

But I will admit that strong cross-winds and speeds over 70mph are a
problem, as the car itself is fairly light-weight and the wheelbase is
shorter than most SUVs and trucks (I put 75lbs of lead in the front of
the trailer and it helped a lot). I would have the same concerns with
a CR-V.

--Noel