Cessna 172 Oil Temp

Old June 25th 05, 04:44 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Gary Wilcox wrote:

I have a 1964 Cessna 172 (Continental 0300D) and the oil temp seems to be
running higher than I remember from last summer. Its still in the green but
only a needles width below the red-line. What is normal? Conditions during
the latest flight were hot and humid - temp at ground level was 92 and
relative humidity in the 90's.

The engine had all cylinders re-built a couple of months ago and I am
runnning straight mineral oil (Aeroshell 80). All of the baffles are in good
shape and the mechanic sealed all of the seams with sealant during the
cylinder rebuild.

Leaning too much? Perhaps you aren't getting full rich... Makes a big
difference at low altitudes with our C172F... I dunno if I'd still be
running mineral oil, break in wasn't required, rings should be seated by
now, we run Aeroshell 100... Make sure all the baffles aren't folded,
putting the cowling on can sometimes bend them the wrong way...

There are STC's available for adding an oil cooler... And don't
overfill, too much oil might also cause an overheat issue. We run ours
below 7 quarts but above 6.5...
Old June 25th 05, 04:47 PM
Gary Wilcox

Default Cessna 172 Oil Temp

I have a 1964 Cessna 172 (Continental 0300D) and the oil temp seems to be
running higher than I remember from last summer. Its still in the green but
only a needles width below the red-line. What is normal? Conditions during
the latest flight were hot and humid - temp at ground level was 92 and
relative humidity in the 90's.

The engine had all cylinders re-built a couple of months ago and I am
runnning straight mineral oil (Aeroshell 80). All of the baffles are in good
shape and the mechanic sealed all of the seams with sealant during the
cylinder rebuild.

Thanks for your help
Gary

Old June 25th 05, 05:20 PM
RST Engineering

"A couple of months" tells us little about the number of hours. How many
hours on the engine since rebuild? What was done on the "rebuild"? New
rings (I hope), rechrome?

Darryl, I don't have my O-300 book handy, but as I recall when I overhauled
my engine the book recommended mineral oil for the first fifty hours.

When I overhauled the 182 jugs and rechromed them, the oil temperature ran
hot for the first ten to fifteen hours, and then dropped like a rock when
the rings finally seated to the chrome.

Jim

Old June 25th 05, 06:04 PM
Darrel Toepfer

RST Engineering wrote:

"A couple of months" tells us little about the number of hours. How many
hours on the engine since rebuild? What was done on the "rebuild"? New
rings (I hope), rechrome?

Darryl, I don't have my O-300 book handy, but as I recall when I overhauled
my engine the book recommended mineral oil for the first fifty hours.

About there or oil consumption geaux's down, which was what I was
eluding to. Some like to run a mixture of mineral and multiweight...

When I overhauled the 182 jugs and rechromed them, the oil temperature ran
hot for the first ten to fifteen hours, and then dropped like a rock when
the rings finally seated to the chrome.

Another thing is to make sure the blast tubes from the back baffle are
pointed at the oil screen and not bent and blowing elsewheres...

Whats your take on this "new" CO (Carbon monOxide) measurement
requirements at annual. Was our IA just extorting extra time/money?

http://www.faa.gov/avr/arm/arac/arac...nical3_all.doc
11. AC 20-32B, Carbon Monoxide (CO) Contamination in Aircraft -
Detection and Prevention.

Sec. 121.219 references ventalation requirements:
http://www.faa.gov/asd/international...%20Notepad.pdf
"carbon monoxide concentration may not be more than one part in 20,000
parts of air"

Page 15-6 just references what it can do to you in the Pilots Handbook:
http://av-info.faa.gov/data/training...83-25-4of4.pdf
Old June 25th 05, 06:34 PM
RST Engineering

Whats your take on this "new" CO (Carbon monOxide) measurement
requirements at annual. Was our IA just extorting extra time/money?

http://www.faa.gov/avr/arm/arac/arac...nical3_all.doc
11. AC 20-32B, Carbon Monoxide (CO) Contamination in Aircraft - Detection
and Prevention.

Which references standards for transport category aircraft.

Sec. 121.219 references ventalation requirements:
http://www.faa.gov/asd/international...%20Notepad.pdf
"carbon monoxide concentration may not be more than one part in 20,000
parts of air"

Part 121 is the section for air carrier aircraft.

Page 15-6 just references what it can do to you in the Pilots Handbook:
http://av-info.faa.gov/data/training...83-25-4of4.pdf

And they are correct, but hardly regulatory.

What is this CO measurement thing that you are talking about? Are you
saying that somebody has determined that a CO measurement is part of an
annual inspection on a part 91 aircraft? Not anything I've heard about, but
that doesn't say it didn't slip by me. Then again, you may have been part
of the mechanic's Hawaii fund.

Jim

Old June 25th 05, 07:07 PM
Darrel Toepfer

RST Engineering wrote:

What is this CO measurement thing that you are talking about? Are you
saying that somebody has determined that a CO measurement is part of an
annual inspection on a part 91 aircraft? Not anything I've heard about, but
that doesn't say it didn't slip by me. Then again, you may have been part
of the mechanic's Hawaii fund.

Yes. Which is what we figured too...
Old June 25th 05, 10:04 PM
RST Engineering

And I read in another thread where he wanted to "sniff for CO" with the
airplane at various angles to the wind?

Repeat after me very carefully ... Carbon monoxide is a colorless gas with
no perceptible odor.

Now it is true that CO is generally mixed with other exhaust gases which DO
have an odor, but that's not always true.

If the visual inspection of the stacks, the muffler and the shroud show
absolutely no evidence of exhaust gas leakage, tell me how in hell he
expected any gas leakage into the cabin?

Jim

Old June 26th 05, 12:37 AM
Darrel Toepfer

RST Engineering wrote:

And I read in another thread where he wanted to "sniff for CO" with the
airplane at various angles to the wind?

Repeat after me very carefully ... Carbon monoxide is a colorless gas with
no perceptible odor.

Kneaux news there...

Now it is true that CO is generally mixed with other exhaust gases which DO
have an odor, but that's not always true.

If the visual inspection of the stacks, the muffler and the shroud show
absolutely no evidence of exhaust gas leakage, tell me how in hell he
expected any gas leakage into the cabin?

Commercial CO Monitor with a wand (rigid tubing) attached...
Old June 26th 05, 12:54 PM
Mike Spera

And I read in another thread where he wanted to "sniff for CO" with the
airplane at various angles to the wind?

Repeat after me very carefully ... Carbon monoxide is a colorless gas with
no perceptible odor.

Now it is true that CO is generally mixed with other exhaust gases which DO
have an odor, but that's not always true.

If the visual inspection of the stacks, the muffler and the shroud show
absolutely no evidence of exhaust gas leakage, tell me how in hell he
expected any gas leakage into the cabin?

He's sniffing for money... yours.

Sorry, I just had to get one in.
Mike
Old June 26th 05, 03:13 PM
Gary Wilcox

The engine has around 400 hours since major (1995) new Superior cylinders
installed at that time. Found aluminum in the oil last winter, oil analysis
said it was piston pin cap material. Pulled all cylinders and had re-built,
new rings, new piston pins, new exhaust valves and guides. Temp has seemed
higher since the cylinder work. Would expect temp to be higher during
break-in but its been 26 hours since the cylinder work.

The 172 users manual says temp should be in the green with max allowable
temp at the red-line. Anyone know what the actual temp is for this 172 at
red-line, any way to calibrate the gauge?

Thanks for your help
Gary