US plans 6,000mph bomber to hit rogue regimes from edge of space

Old August 3rd 03, 10:58 PM
Otis Willie

Default US plans 6,000mph bomber to hit rogue regimes from edge of space

US plans 6,000mph bomber to hit rogue regimes from edge of space

(EXCERPT) Peter Almond

THE Pentagon is drawing up plans for a “hypersonic” bomber able to
travel more than 10,000 miles around the globe in about two hours.

The Hypersonic Cruise Vehicle (HCV) is designed to fly at a top speed
of almost 6,000mph directly from America to neutralise regimes
threatening to use weapons of mass destruction. It would avoid the
need to rely on forward airbases in unreliable third countries.

Current stealth bombers, such as the B-2, which played a leading role
in the Iraq war, only fly at about 650mph, just below the speed of
sound.

Last week representatives of companies including Boeing and Britain’s
BAE Systems met Pentagon officials in Washington to discuss the plan,
codenamed Project Falcon (Force Application and Launch from the
Continental US). It has been given impetus by the difficulties of
persuading countries such as Saudi Arabia and Turkey to act as bases
for US aircraft in the war on Iraq.

At present, heavy bomber crews have to fly their B-52 or B-2 aircraft
i...

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully reproducing
copyrighted material. In abidance with our laws this report
cannot be provided in its entirety. However, you can read it
in full today, 03 Aug 2003, at the following URL. (COMBINE
the following lines into your web browser.) The
subject/content of this report is not necessarily the
viewpoint of the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...764949,00.html

---------------------------
Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library
http://www.americanwarlibrary.com
Old August 4th 03, 02:48 AM
B2431

The Arabs will solve the Jewish problem better
than we ever will.

What Jewish problem?

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old August 4th 03, 02:51 AM
BUFDRVR

This vehicle is clearly sub-orbital since it moves at only 1/3rd of orbital
velocity.

Which brings up the issue of overflight rights. Up to what altitude is
recognized as a country's soverign air space? Seems pointless to make an
aircraft that can be based in the US so as not to rely on unreliable "allies"
for basing rights if these same "allies" will still need to be consulted for
overflight.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old August 4th 03, 03:08 AM
S. Sampson

"B2431" wrote

The Arabs will solve the Jewish problem better
than we ever will.

What Jewish problem?

The one where they are building the "Berlin wall" with U.S. tax dollars.

Old August 4th 03, 03:12 AM
S. Sampson

"BUFDRVR" wrote

This vehicle is clearly sub-orbital since it moves at only 1/3rd of orbital
velocity.

Which brings up the issue of overflight rights. Up to what altitude is
recognized as a country's soverign air space?

The altitude their interceptors and SA missiles can operate at with a
high PK.

Seems pointless to make an aircraft that can be based in the US so as
not to rely on unreliable "allies" for basing rights if these same "allies" will
still need to be consulted for overflight.

If the Chicoms build one and fly it over the U.S. we would have a "cow."
So I suspect the whole world is a ****** with this plan.

Old August 4th 03, 04:15 AM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

This vehicle is clearly sub-orbital since it moves at only 1/3rd of
orbital
velocity.

Which brings up the issue of overflight rights. Up to what altitude is
recognized as a country's soverign air space? Seems pointless to make an
aircraft that can be based in the US so as not to rely on unreliable

"allies"
for basing rights if these same "allies" will still need to be consulted

for
overflight.

I would probably say that anything sub-orbital or orbital will be out of
soverign airspace. Nobody asks for overflight rights for the space shuttle
or sattelites. And, militarially speaking, we pretty much own space anyway.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/ne...28-space01.htm

Did we ask for overflight rights for the SR71?

Old August 4th 03, 05:16 AM
Mary Shafer

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 03:15:25 GMT, "Thomas J. Paladino Jr."
wrote:

Did we ask for overflight rights for the SR71?

We didn't need to. It stayed in international air space.

Mary

Old August 4th 03, 06:22 AM
sirius

If the Chicoms build one and fly it over the U.S. we would have a
"cow."
So I suspect the whole world is a ****** with this plan.

OK, you now hold the rec.aviation.military for most consecutive posts
using the word "******" and, gee, aren't we all just so impressed with
you for doing so.

I suppose you also like to let rip with a wet fart in the middle of the
moment of silence in church to get people to notice you.

Alright, you've been noticed. The problem is, what we've noticed is a
juvenile brat with nothing worthwhile to say. Oh wait, I hear your mommy
calling. She wants to use the computer, so off you go to watch
Tele-Tubbies or something suitable for your mental age.

Maybe when you're a big boy, mommy will drive you to some inner city
street corner or vacant lot and you can read all those posts out loud,
being sure to look them all in the eye each time you say "******".

I hadn't been to this newsgroup for many months until this weekend. Now
I remember why.

Jeff