want to buy Zaon MRX

Old June 23rd 16, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default want to buy Zaon MRX

I'm not entirely in agreement. These little PCAS units do a better job at both detecting Mode C aircraft and the way they present the data numerically is more intuitive than the Flarmview units.

Obviously they are worthless for FLARM traffic and can't give the detail available from ADSB.

For Mode C targets they beat powerflarm with a Flarmview display.
Old June 23rd 16, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Partially agree.
ZAON - indeed much easier to read distance, slightly easier to read altitude difference.
Flarmview - color code makes it easier and more intuitive to distinguish between aircraft at almost the same altitude vs below or above.
powerflarm - much more reliable mode C detection and more accurate altitude difference.

Ramy (thousands of hours with ZAON and powerflarm over the last 10 years)
Old June 23rd 16, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I guess our experience varies. Zaon and PoweFlarm for years and my Zaon always performs better for Mode C.
Old June 23rd 16, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I'm not completely happy with the altitude difference presented by my
ZAON. Recently I received an alert that said an aircraft was 100' above
and, I spotted it about 100' below my altitude. I guess I have to chalk
that up to allowable tolerances between transponders, and be extra
vigilant when another aircraft is shown to be within +/- 400' or so.
It's still quite easy to eliminate possible conflicts based upon range
rate, however.

I assume the Flarm units would suffer the same problem if they use
transponder altitudes, or do they use GPS altitudes? If they use GPS,
what's the allowable tolerance?

Dan

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 23rd 16, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dan,

I thought I relied earlier, but it doesn't seem to have posted so trying again.

Mode C relies on the accuracy of the altitude encoder. I believe they are all set based on 29.92 and do not get any GPS input. As such, if the mode C target's encoder is off a couple hundred feet then you see that error for both the Zaon OR PowerFlarm Mode C outputs.

If memory serves there is an option within the Zaon to show and then adjust the internal pressure sensor to minimize error on the Zaon side. Not sure how that's handled on the PowerFlarm Core.
Old June 24th 16, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On 6/22/2016 8:36 PM, Ramy wrote:
Partially agree.
ZAON - indeed much easier to read distance, slightly easier to read altitude difference.
Flarmview - color code makes it easier and more intuitive to distinguish between aircraft at almost the same altitude vs below or above.
powerflarm - much more reliable mode C detection and more accurate altitude difference.

Ramy (thousands of hours with ZAON and powerflarm over the last 10 years)

--
Dan, 5J

FLARM allows you to select transponder altitude from your Mode S transponder as the reference to other transponders.
"Use barometric altitude from Mode-S transponder"
Jim
Old June 24th 16, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

My ZAON also performed better initially until I replace my powerflarm mode C antenna.
I used to see significant altitude errors with my ZAON, much more than normal tolerance, but not with my powerflarm where it is normally within +- 100 feet. So yes if it alerts you for traffic within 100 feet, It may be above, below or straight ahead.

Ramy

ZAON PCAS MRX Nick Kennedy Soaring 22 October 7th 16 05:52 PM
FS: PCAS Zaon MRX [email protected] Soaring 0 December 12th 13 09:07 PM
ZAON MRX for sale [email protected] Soaring 0 March 14th 13 02:56 PM
ZAON MRX Andrzej Kobus Soaring 1 February 9th 13 01:39 AM