Bohli Compass

Old October 30th 15, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Bohli Compass

What is a reasonable value of a Bohli compass? does not appear to have ever been installed
Does it still have value?

r/Jim
Old October 30th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

No, it's worthless now. Please send it to me and I will dispose of it
properly. :-D

--
Dan, 5J

Old October 30th 15, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Damon

I hate to see Dan have to go to the trouble of opening the package so send it to me, collect!
Old October 30th 15, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, October 30, 2015 at 6:23:54 PM UTC-4, Stephen Damon wrote:
I hate to see Dan have to go to the trouble of opening the package so send it to me, collect!

Maybe I should put it on e-bay and see where it goes. Sounds like it is worth more than I thought.
Old October 31st 15, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 9:03:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What is a reasonable value of a Bohli compass? does not appear to have ever been installed
Does it still have value?

r/Jim

Weren't they once banned from use in contests?
Uli
Old October 31st 15, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

In continental Europe. Not sure if that expanded to the UK.
Old October 31st 15, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rollings[_2_]

The ban was because a very skilled pilot could cloud fly without gyro
instruments, just using a Bohli compass. Not banned in the UK because we
allow cloud flying.

Old October 31st 15, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

On Friday, 30 October 2015 02:03:35 UTC+1, wrote:
What is a reasonable value of a Bohli compass? does not appear to have ever been installed
Does it still have value?

r/Jim

Last one I saw sell on Ebay in Europe went for 165 Euro.

They are a valuable piece if in working order.
Old October 31st 15, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Damon

And if you have box and insteuctions, very finicky.
Old October 31st 15, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I truly don't know what it's worth, if anything.

I've read that, properly set up, it can be used to fly in clouds. I've
also read that it was banned in contests in the US for just that
reason. It would be fun to have as a toy, just like that J-8 attitude
indicator that I've had in a box for close to 40 years.