Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14?

Old February 22nd 04, 01:18 PM
John Carrier

"R. David Steele" wrote in message
Should we be thinking of using the FB-22 Raptor as a replacement
for the F/A-18 (and the F-14)? I know that the current F-22 was
not designed to be heavy enough for naval use, but it could be
re-engineered. They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.
Why not upgrade it then?

This way there would be cross over between the FB-22 and the F-35
(engines especially).

Also why not market the C-17 to the air freight community?

Old February 22nd 04, 01:22 PM
John Carrier

Should we be thinking of using the FB-22 Raptor as a replacement
for the F/A-18 (and the F-14)? I know that the current F-22 was
not designed to be heavy enough for naval use, but it could be
re-engineered. They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.
Why not upgrade it then?

Not as easy as it sounds, re-engineering usually involves rather extensive
redesign of the internal structures. The F-111 was designed multi-service
from the get-go and we all know what a raging success the B model was.

Do you really believe a fighter will carry 60,000 pounds of ordnance or is
that a typo?

R / John

Old February 22nd 04, 02:58 PM
Thomas Schoene

R. David Steele wrote:
Should we be thinking of using the FB-22 Raptor as a replacement
for the F/A-18 (and the F-14)?

The Navy looked at adapting the original F-22 under the Naval Advanced
Tactical Fighter program in the late 80s and early 90s. The work needed for
the conversion was too much and the design ended up being basically the same
engines and avionics in a new aircraft. For example, they needed swing
wings to get the aproach speed down to carrier limits.

The FB-22 strikes me as having some real problems in carrier compatability,
even compared totthe base F-22. What's the approach speed of a heavy tailess
delta like that, for example?

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old February 22nd 04, 03:44 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 04:20:49 GMT, R. David Steele
wrote:

Should we be thinking of using the FB-22 Raptor as a replacement
for the F/A-18 (and the F-14)? I know that the current F-22 was

We already have a replacement for the F-14 in service - the F/A-18E/F.
The switch-over is well underway already.

Since the F/A-18E/F is brand new, it won't need replacement for a long
time yet.

not designed to be heavy enough for naval use, but it could be
re-engineered. They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.

30x2000 pound bombs? Twice the payload of the B-2....very impressive.

Why not upgrade it then?

Because you can't just "upgrade" the aircraft to be carrier capable.
This was studied a long time ago. The "upgrade" would be a complete
redesign of the aircraft, which would be very expensive and time
consuming, and entirely unnecessary.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old February 22nd 04, 03:44 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:36:35 GMT, R. David Steele
wrote:

The F-35 is basically the same plane as the F-22. It has been
modified to be a carrier aircraft.

Huh? The F-35 is absolutely nothing like the F-22.

The F-35 was not "modified" to be a carrier aircraft, it was DESIGNED
AS a carrier aircraft.

Old February 22nd 04, 03:49 PM
Thomas Schoene

R. David Steele wrote:

The F-35 is basically the same plane as the F-22. It has been
modified to be a carrier aircraft.

Nonsense. The F-35 only has some cosmetic resemblance to the F-22. It was
designed from the ground up as a carrier aircraft and is very different
internally.

The C-17 was marketed to commercial users with the government
offering incentives. The plane has design elements for its
military missions that make it less economical to operate in
the civilian world that civil designs.

What is its civilian reference.

It used to be called the MD-17, and is now marketed as the BC-17X.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/pd/bc17x/index.html

Old February 22nd 04, 05:00 PM
Tarver Engineering

"R. David Steele" wrote in message

|The Tomcat is gone quicker than you can think....
|There is a big push by CNO to axe the F-14 sooner than planned, like
|now is too late...watch and see.
|
|The F/A-18 (I assume you mean the B/C/D models) already has a
|replacement, E/F. I don't think you are following current Naval
|Aviation very well.
|
|There is no need to replace the E/F Hornet, it will be pulling
|fighter/CAP/FAC/Bomber/tanker etc. duties for the next 10 years.
|Totally capable of performing all the above, with no current or future
|enemy threat that can match it.

Yes, I am aware that the E/F variants are the upgrade to the
current F/A-18 and the F-14. However by the time the FB-22 is
online, even those versions will be dated.

Less dated than the F-22.

You are not considering the F-22's two greatest flaws, the pre-96 Ada and
the Mil-spec components. The entire procurement of the F/A-18E is a
generation ahead of the F-22.

Remember that we are planning for a war with China by the end of
the decade. What is the ability of the Chinese aircraft.

Non-sequitur.

Old February 22nd 04, 05:02 PM
Bob Urz

Tony wrote:
"R. David Steele" wrote in message

They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.

And to think that the B2 only carries 16 2000 lb bombs.

Well then go one step further. B2N. Take one B2. put joints in the wings
where they fold up like a F4U corsair. Put an arrestor hook on it.
Doolittle would like it. Anyone want to photoshop a prototype up?

Bob

Old February 22nd 04, 05:26 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
R. David Steele writes:

| They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
| version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.
|
|Umm, not 30 x 2000 lb bombs. 30 x SDBs (small diameter bombs), that weigh
|about 265 lbs each.

Yes, I checked that out
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...raft/fb-22.htm

| Also why not market the C-17 to the air freight community?
|
|Because the C-17 couldn't compete in the mainstream commercial air freight
|business. Costs way too much when compared to 747s and such.

From what I have read, the C-17 should be cost effective. After
all the design costs are already paid for. And it is far less
expensive to run than the C-5.

But it it more cost-effective than the Il-76s and An-224s that are
already in the market? Those have been already built & paid for.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old February 22nd 04, 06:47 PM
Ron

This has been mooted, either as is or in a civil variant, at various
times. For some of the issues involved you might wish to read "C-17
-- How to Get More for Less":

http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA357811

It's about 2 meg.

And not a new idea, either. I was leafing through the FAA Type
Dertificate Data Sheets one day, and discovered that the Lockheed
C-141 had been certificated for civilian use.

McD had been marketing the civil C-17 as the MD-17.

Ron
Tanker 65, C-54E (DC-4)

"C-175 SoCal Beware" Original Poster Replies Bill Berle Aviation Marketplace 8 July 8th 04 07:01 AM
More LED's Veeduber Home Built 19 June 9th 04 10:07 PM
Replace fabric with glass Ernest Christley Home Built 38 April 17th 04 11:37 AM
RAN to get new LSD class vessel to replace 5 logistic vessels ... Aerophotos Military Aviation 10 November 4th 03 12:49 AM
Air Force to replace enlisted historians with civilians Otis Willie Military Aviation 1 October 22nd 03 09:41 AM