Brand new rating, starting school for real now...

Old November 1st 04, 03:52 AM
Jim Harper

Default Brand new rating, starting school for real now...

Hi all.

Just got back from a Doug Carmody class...www.safepilot.com. Intensive
week, came with 20 hours, and finished up with a checkride today.
Great course, heavy in a very advanced simulator...no motion, but
great visuals. Can't say enough good about the experience, and if
anybody asks I will say a bunch more.

But that's not the point of the post. I often fly from MGM to LZU
which is on the far side of the Bravo airspace owned by Atlanta. I
have an IFR GPS (CNX 80, version 2.0), so I can certainly file direct.
There is a preferred routing which skirts the entire Bravo airspace,
but it is way out of my way.

There is are arrival procedures for LZU, but the only one which isn't
for the big guys is the BUNNI arrival, and that goes way and the heck
north of where I need to go.

On the other hand, direct takes me right over KATL, which is big for
cool points, but I could see some issues.

So, I can just file direct and see what falls out, or I can call ATL
approach and just plain ask 'em, or I can post up here and see what
y'all's experience is. I know at least one of ya fly around here. And
I do believe we have a controller who works around the area.

So, baring my throat as an inexperience newbie, I come to this august
gathering for advice...and a little group wisdom.

Thanks!
Jim
Old November 1st 04, 02:51 PM
Mike Rapoport

You can always file direct. After a few flights, you will know the
preferred routing which may or may not be published anywhere.

Mike
MU-2

om...

Old November 1st 04, 04:19 PM
Dave Butler

Jim Harper wrote:
Hi all.

Just got back from a Doug Carmody class...www.safepilot.com. Intensive
week, came with 20 hours, and finished up with a checkride today.
Great course, heavy in a very advanced simulator...no motion, but
great visuals. Can't say enough good about the experience, and if
anybody asks I will say a bunch more.

Congratulations on earning your certificate!

I wanted to go to Doug for a commercial rating, but unfortunately just as I was
ready to go he decided to change the format of the school to instrument ratings
only. I've heard good things about Doug and his school. Does he still specialize
in training Mooney pilots?

snip

So, I can just file direct and see what falls out, or I can call ATL
approach and just plain ask 'em, or I can post up here and see what
y'all's experience is. I know at least one of ya fly around here. And
I do believe we have a controller who works around the area.

Sometimes you can get a more favorable routing by being flexible about altitude.
Just ask "Is there some other altitude that will get me a more direct routing?"

Dave

Old November 2nd 04, 06:54 AM
Jim Harper

Dave Butler wrote in message ...

Congratulations on earning your certificate!

I wanted to go to Doug for a commercial rating, but unfortunately just as I was
ready to go he decided to change the format of the school to instrument ratings
only. I've heard good things about Doug and his school. Does he still specialize
in training Mooney pilots?

(snip)
Sometimes you can get a more favorable routing by being flexible about altitude.
Just ask "Is there some other altitude that will get me a more direct routing?"

Dave

Thanks for the advice, both of y'all. I'll give it a shot. Yes, Dave,
he is supposed to be awesome at training Mooney guys. He is just doing
the instrument rating thing, and he is just switching over to being a
finish-up kinda guy. He has been working 7 days a week pretty much, as
the demand has gone up, so he is going to ask folks to come in with
more time. He is a great teacher, and Beufort is enjoyable...for a
week or so!

Thanks for the kind words as well.

Jim