New Soaring PNA Available

Old May 12th 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Default New Soaring PNA Available

What a laugh!
The Navigon is probably a confused version. Single clang, then 2
bars of music.
Thought if I continued trying to put XC Soar on it, there would be the
clang of it hitting the wall.
The database has 700 or so points and covers at least part of 4
western states, which is what I heard was bad for XC Soar terrain
generator.
Jim

On May 11, 12:41*pm, Martin Gregorie

* * It goes CLANG-CLANG when it has booted up.

Old May 12th 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

A few questions:
1) Does the JPS work really for finding the way back home?
2) Does it multiplicate the thermals?
3) Does it transform the water ballast into wine ballast ? (this is very
important)
4) Is it certified by the Vatican City Aviation?
5) Is it possible to connect it to a Cambridge?

Thanks ..
Paolo

ha scritto nel messaggio
On May 10, 10:10 pm, JS wrote:
On May 10, 9:53 pm, "
wrote:

What is more important is the readability with more screen real
estate.

And a free Plastic
Jesus!http://web.archive.org/web/200605210...ght.com/Glidin...

Ok Jim, I'll throw in free plastic Jesus upgrade for the first 10
purchasers.

The JPS (Jesus Positioning Unit) will be autographed with a Sharpie by
yours truely.

Al

Old May 12th 10, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 11, 6:47*pm, "PCool" wrote:
A few questions:
1) Does the JPS work really for finding the way back home?
2) Does it multiplicate the thermals?
3) Does it transform the water ballast into wine ballast ? (this is very
important)
4) Is it certified by the Vatican City Aviation?
5) Is it possible to connect it to a Cambridge?

Thanks ..
Paolo

ha scritto nel ...
On May 10, 10:10 pm, JS wrote:

On May 10, 9:53 pm, "
wrote:

What is more important is the readability with more screen real
estate.

And a free Plastic
Jesus!http://web.archive.org/web/200605210...ght.com/Glidin...

Ok Jim, I'll throw in free plastic Jesus upgrade for the first 10
purchasers.

The JPS (Jesus Positioning Unit) will be autographed with a Sharpie by
yours truely.

Al

First of all Paolo your work on the LK8000 is fantastic.

I think what you have created especially with the latest release is
absolutely amazing.
Cant wait to see the full release version out.
I urge everyone who is interested in reading the manual here.
http://www.bware.it/LK8000/LK8000_MANUAL_120.pdf

Now in answer to your questions, the JPS unit only works if you trust
in its plastic'ness.
If you do not feel the force from the JPS then it is not going to give
proper direction.

The JPS has not been known to affect thermal size or density but if
you do find yourself low I found it always helped to rub its head.

The water to wine upgrade has not been installed mine as its
experimental and does not carry the Vatican VSO.

I have used it with Cambridge S-Nav quite extensively and you can see
it here pre-take off..
http://web.archive.org/web/200512280...suscockpit.jpg

Here you can see the JPS in action
http://web.archive.org/web/200512280...JesusPanel.jpg
Note it blocks out the S-Nav completely.

The JPS is still the original one given to me by an ex-stripper who
used to work for me after she found religion.
To this day I always carry him in my camelback when flying.

You can see the JPS's last recorded on video sighting here.
http://silentflight.com/index.php?op...=7&video_id=26

Cheers

Al
Old May 12th 10, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TRKA

On 11 Mai, 21:52, " wrote:
On May 11, 12:33*pm, mike wrote:

On May 11, 1:15*pm, JS wrote:

* In my experience, XC Soar does't always install easily. Once the
program is running, getting all the files you need (especially
terrain) isn't as simple as with SeeYou PDA or PNA or WinPilot (I've
only installed WP on PDAs). No experience with LK8000. To be honest, I
prefer the $2500 Altair to display XC Soar. Not a touch screen, but
very bright and clear with buttons next to where you would ordinarily
touch. It's necessary to design the panel around it.
* There are quite a few cheap Chinese PNAs available in bulk from Hong
Kong, and some even locally as single units. TRKA, how does the less
than $100 unit you bought and configured work? The cheapest ones I've
built would be a Navigon with SeeYouPNA (and a later failure
installing XC Soar on the same device), or a HP 310 with XC Soar. The
Navigon works great, HP too after much suggestion that it's parents
weren't married. It still has no terrain. Neither are particularly
readable.
* I heard the XC Soar terrain file generator problem is from having
too large a task area?
Jim

On May 10, 10:42*pm, TRKA wrote:

One question

what makes this device so expensive please?

I see a normal cheap chinese Navigation device with no additional
gear.
Also if this is additional gear it will cost about 10$

So lets calculate

Cheap chinese Navigation device : 60-100$
Additional Gear : 10$
Software : 0$ (XCSoar and LK8000) is FREEWARE

Never had a problem installing XCSoar or the terrain data on PDA's or
the MIO C320, which is done by a hack and using a SD card. The MIO is
pretty crummy in daylight though, and Al's statement that his PNA is
better than a HP 39XX in sunlight is interesting. If his device is
indeed more viewable than a 39XX and can be connected to an approved
data logger it becomes a very nice low cost option.

Meant to post this last night...

added to silentflights facebook page.. screens ipaq 3850 and SFGC side
by side on my desk last night.http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...op=1&view=all&...

Will see if the iphone's crappy camera can convey the same in bight
sunlight.

Cheers

Al

This is no real test Sorry. Put them outside and let the sun shine on
both displays.
We dont fly in our office or at home, we fly outside you know!
Old May 12th 10, 09:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 12, 12:53*am, TRKA wrote:
On 11 Mai, 21:52, " wrote:

On May 10, 10:42*pm, TRKA wrote:

[...]

I fly in a cockpit... you might have one of those fancy Grunau Baby's
or something with no canopy.

Old May 12th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Tue, 11 May 2010 18:47:11 -0700, JS wrote:

The Navigon is probably a confused version. Single clang, then 2
bars of music.

That's useful to know: evidently the start-up sound is defined by the
manufacturer and some, such as Binatone, change it from time to time.

Thought if I continued trying to put XC Soar on it, there would be the
clang of it hitting the wall.
The database has 700 or so points and covers at least part of 4 western
states, which is what I heard was bad for XC Soar terrain generator.
Jim

My B350 database contains:

- the complete BGA turnpoint list (1196 turnpoints, 69 KB)

- the whole of the UK topo and terrain in a .xcm file
(all turnpoints + 25km border at 9 arc-second resolution, 2.5MB)

- the complete UK airspace file (199KB)

on its SD card together with XCSoar 5.2.4mk.

It takes 50 seconds to start up. Apart from the start up time I haven't
seen any performance impact from database size.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old May 12th 10, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On May 10, 10:26*pm, "
wrote:
On May 10, 10:10*pm, JS wrote:

On May 10, 9:53*pm, "
wrote:

What is more important is the readability with more screen real
estate.

And a free Plastic Jesus!http://web.archive.org/web/200605210...ght.com/Glidin...

Ok Jim, I'll throw in free plastic Jesus upgrade for the first 10
purchasers.

The JPS (Jesus Positioning Unit) will be autographed with a Sharpie by
yours truely.

Al

Al,

If you can add FLARM or ADS-B and integrate that with a JPS that
speaks up and informs you of the traffic I'll get 2 of them!

Would the Goddard cable that powers the iPAQ310 also be able to power
the Faux Oudie?

Brad
Old May 12th 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 12, 8:35*am, Brad wrote:
On May 10, 10:26*pm, "
wrote:

On May 10, 10:10*pm, JS wrote:

On May 10, 9:53*pm, "
wrote:

What is more important is the readability with more screen real
estate.

And a free Plastic Jesus!http://web.archive.org/web/200605210...ght.com/Glidin...

Ok Jim, I'll throw in free plastic Jesus upgrade for the first 10
purchasers.

The JPS (Jesus Positioning Unit) will be autographed with a Sharpie by
yours truely.

Al

Al,

If you can add FLARM or ADS-B and integrate that with a JPS that
speaks up and informs you of the traffic I'll get 2 of them!

Would the Goddard cable that powers the iPAQ310 also be able to power
the Faux Oudie?

Brad

The LK8000 software has FLARM integration you can see their test setup
on Paolo's website.
It is detailed in the manual link I posted earlier in this thread.

As far as cabling goes, it's basically a serial to USB converter with
power.
Cumulus has them "shipping may 15th" I believe or there are a number
of raw cables that could be modified easily.
I can assemble a package of cable, computer and test NMEA into the
device shipping it as a package for you ready to go.

If you would like multiple units email me directly to discuss.

Cheers

Al

Old May 12th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Blanchard

I purchased a unit on ebay (Item number 270547293803 ) that looks
quite similar. I can say that it loads LK8000 easy and runs great.
Battery life sucks, but I just use 4-AA batteries in USB charger.
Old May 12th 10, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On May 12, 12:13*pm, Andrew Blanchard wrote:
I purchased a unit on ebay (Item number 270547293803 ) that looks
quite similar. *I can say that it loads LK8000 easy and runs great.
Battery life sucks, but I just use 4-AA batteries in USB charger.

Just a note:

There appear to be a lot of "look-alike" units for sale cheap on eBay
right now... But if you look closely at their specs you'll see they
have much lower screen resolution, and some have slower/older CPUs.
So Caveat Emptor!

--Noel
(who is otherwise intrigued by the 800 x 480 models with a better
CPU...)