Skycather's not TOO ugly, just needs tailwheel

Old January 11th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Skycather's not TOO ugly, just needs tailwheel

On Jan 10, 6:03 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

On 2008-01-11, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote in news:9a6dc13d-0a34-4154-84ba-
:
I imagine that stuff shattering on hard impact cutting the
passengers into tiny shreads. Or at least cutting them up really
bad.
FRom what I've read, they're not so good in a crash. Wood is supposed
to be even worse, with aluminum considerably better and all bested by
good old fashioned steel tubing.

I dunno how they are in general, but my roommate's dad crashed his
Quickie, and said that it looked like one of those styrofoam beer
coolers that had been hit ont he freeway: lots and lots of tiny little
pieces.

He wasn't hurt too badly, however; biggest problems were fractures to
the left kneecap and heel.

I only know what I've read in Sport Aviation and such about this. Some guys
in RAH would know for sure abou tthe statistics, though. I know someone who
had a bad one in a Long Eze and wlaked away from it. Engine failure and an
off runway landing. He skipped along the ground like a sled shedding pieces
of airplane as he went. He was bruised but OK. Anectdotal stuff doesn't
tell you much though, you have to look at like vs like. Steel tube is way
ahead of everything else, though. It absorbs energy better than
anything.Wood is supposed to be the worst.

Bertie

I've read of at least one guy who crashed his tube-and-rag affair
while doing an aerobatic routine at an airshow, and the medics had to
hacksaw him out of the wreck. He'd been pierced by a few chunks of
busted tubing.
I don't think there's any ideal construction. They all have
their shortcomings. Best not to crash them at all:-)

Dan
Old January 11th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

wrote in
:

On 2008-01-11, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Oh definitely. But tube structures absorb the impact as near perfectly
as is. That accident probably would have been even harder on the guys
body had he been in a wood airplane. I know of a few ( Stampes, for
instance) that are notorious for collapsing around the pits.
As i said, anectdotal stuff is next to useless. I thnk I have figures
somewhere, probably in an EAA publication. I'll keep an eye out for it
next time I'm rummaging

Bertie
Old January 11th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 10, 6:17*pm, wrote:
On Jan 10, 6:48 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

On Jan 10, 5:19 pm, John Smith wrote:

In article ,
*Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Al Mooney designed everything "all of a piece" and
moving retracts forward in one would be a nightmare.

Why move just the landing gear when you can move the whole, one-piece
Mooney wing?

I'm still trying to locate the picture. Perhaps he move thed tail
assembly back enough to set the CG aft of the mains?
Unlike a 172, the CG is not close to the mains normally though, its
pretty far forward. In a 172 you have to be careful if a couple big
guys climb in the back that the tail doesn't hit the ground before the
pilot gets in. I"ve never seen this tendancy in my Mooney.

-Robert

* * * * * *Shifting the CG by lengthening the tail or adding weight
will put the airplane's balance in a lethal condition. Main gear
wheels are located with reference to the CG, not the other way 'round.
A taildragger will have its mains roughly 15° ahead of the CG (which,
of course, requires that you know the vertical CG as well as the
longitudinal) in the level flight attitude. The axles will normally be
very close to being directly under the leading edge of the wing, a
long way ahead of the mains on a kiddy-plane--oops, I mean a trike.

Its not clear if the individual in question put as much thought into
the design you have or not. The only claim is that it flew and flew at
least regularly enough to appear at some Mooney events. There is no
claim that it flew well or necessarily even safely.

-Robert
Old January 11th 08, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Jan 10, 7:27*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
John Smith wrote in news:jsmith-C04ACE.20235210012008
@news-server.columbus.rr.com:

If the above photo is not enough let me know & I'll hunt for some
more. I have lot's of pictures of various 150s, 152s & 172s with all
the mods but my scanner is inop at the moment.

What I would like to see is the belly skin removed and a before and
after image of the gear relocation.

I think therfe was a nice article of a straight tail 172 Texas taildragger
conversion in a recent Sport Aviation. The owner did it himself, I think .
Put a big engine in it, some STOL mods and had a poor man's 180. looked
pretty cool and he did a real nice job on it.

Bertie

If you can tell me the issue of Sport Aviation this is in I would be
very interested in obtaining it.

Thanks,

Ricky
Old January 11th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Ricky wrote in
:

[...]

Last couple of months. Dec or Nov, I think. I have this months (jan) next
to me and it's not in there. I'll have a look.

Bertie
Old January 11th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2008-01-09, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[back country camping]
Nice. I think if I were to go for an airplane for that mission it would
be a bearhawk or even just an old Pacer.
I like rags.

An Auster Autocrat upgraded to 160 hp works really well for that too :-)
With no glider in tow, ours gets airborne using very, very little
runway. If the Atlantic wasn't in the way I'd take ours to Idaho for a
bit.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.
Old January 11th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2008-01-09, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[back country camping]

Nice. I think if I were to go for an airplane for that mission it would
be a bearhawk or even just an old Pacer.
I like rags.

An Auster Autocrat upgraded to 160 hp works really well for that too :-)
With no glider in tow, ours gets airborne using very, very little
runway. If the Atlantic wasn't in the way I'd take ours to Idaho for a
bit.

--
From the sunny Isle of Man.

I once owned an Auster AOP VI. Fantastic short-field
performance. I miss that airplane.

Dan
Old January 19th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

I'm still looking for that 172 article! It wasn't the Nov issue anyway...

wanted scott 3200 tailwheel /alaskan bushwheel tailwheel phillip9 Aviation Marketplace 0 June 6th 06 07:57 PM
Big bad ugly first annual ncoastwmn Owning 3 April 2nd 06 04:02 AM
MOST UGLY GLIDER ? Malcolm Austin Soaring 75 February 24th 06 08:37 PM
Ugly Trailer Ray Lovinggood Soaring 8 December 22nd 05 03:19 AM
Ugly Trailer Ray Lovinggood Soaring 3 December 19th 05 03:56 PM