CSC DUATS Golden Eagle FlightPrep®

Old June 24th 04, 06:22 PM
Larry Dighera

Default CSC DUATS Golden Eagle FlightPrep®

The clunky old Cirrus Software for use with DUATS is being replaced
with a new program that looks like a terrific improvement. I haven't
had a chance to try it yet, but it's got to be better than Cirrus.

Here's the information to obtain a free copy:

CSC DUATS Golden Eagle FlightPrep®
http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.p...nfogoldeneagle
CSC Inc. DUATS of Chantilly, Virginia, has selected FlightPrep®, to
power the Golden Eagle FlightPrep® flight planner. This new flight
planner is a replacement for the popular Cirrus® software which has
been the mainstay offline and dial-up DUATS flight planner for the
last eight years, for several hundred thousand pilots.

Get Golden Eagle FlightPrep version 1.1.1 (6/11/2004) (~100MB)
http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.p...efp_dl_pgmdata

Golden Eagle FlightPrep Basic Data Updater:
http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.p...efp_dl_updater
This dataset is effective 10 June 2004 through 5 August 2004. The
program is version 1.1.1.

A very brief perusal reveals:

Pros:

1. Nice graphic terrain planning chart until zoom level 6, but it
still looks better than Cirrus.

Gotchas:
1. Don't try to search without any search terms entered; crashes
program!

2. Screen updates after scrolling the map are too slow.

3. In the Flight Planner command, you'll find the aircraft you
created at the bottom of the list.

4. The user interface is a kludge similar to Cirrus.
Old June 24th 04, 08:25 PM
EDR

Does it work with Windows 95?
Old June 24th 04, 08:40 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Larry Dighera said:
The clunky old Cirrus Software for use with DUATS is being replaced
with a new program that looks like a terrific improvement. I haven't

Does it run under Wine on Linux?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"SPARC" is "CRAPS" backwards --Rob Pike
Old June 25th 04, 01:42 AM
Cecil Chapman

Does it work with Windows 95?

Nothing every really worked under Windows 95 grin..... My guess is that
the software may go back to Win 98, but not much further back the
'evolutionary chain',,,, just a guess though.... Good luck!

Get XP and a newer machine,,, you'll love it.... lot more stable....

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old June 25th 04, 02:25 AM
Toks Desalu

Yes!
I saw the review few months ago and it looks great. I am downloading as I am
writing this email. It better be as good as they say.
Toks Desalu

news

Old June 25th 04, 03:37 AM
Mike Adams

Larry Dighera wrote:

The clunky old Cirrus Software for use with DUATS is being replaced
with a new program that looks like a terrific improvement. I haven't
had a chance to try it yet, but it's got to be better than Cirrus.

A very brief perusal reveals:

Pros:

1. Nice graphic terrain planning chart until zoom level 6, but it
still looks better than Cirrus.

Gotchas:
1. Don't try to search without any search terms entered; crashes
program!

2. Screen updates after scrolling the map are too slow.

3. In the Flight Planner command, you'll find the aircraft you
created at the bottom of the list.

4. The user interface is a kludge similar to Cirrus.

I tried it and my biggest complaint (other than the extreme slowness
mentioned above) is that if you build a flight plan graphically, then try
to go to the DUATS flight planner, it doesn't load your waypoints into the
user defined routing. This is such an obvious problem, I hope I'm doing
something wrong and there's a way to do this. But if there is, I haven't
found it. Mean time, I'll stick with Cirrus or just DUATS.

Mike
Old June 25th 04, 04:27 AM
EDR

In article , Cecil
Chapman wrote:

Does it work with Windows 95?

Nothing every really worked under Windows 95 grin..... My guess is that
the software may go back to Win 98, but not much further back the
'evolutionary chain',,,, just a guess though.... Good luck!

Get XP and a newer machine,,, you'll love it.... lot more stable....

Maybe Virtual PC, easier to install.
Old June 25th 04, 08:48 AM
Martin Kosina

Larry Dighera wrote in message . ..
The clunky old Cirrus Software for use with DUATS is being replaced
with a new program that looks like a terrific improvement. I haven't
had a chance to try it yet, but it's got to be better than Cirrus.

I would not call Cirrus clunky - devoid of features, perhaps, but
quite reliable. I may have just had bad luck with Golden Eagle, but it
is very slow and crashed on me several times. But it looks like a good
step forward, I am sure it will improve. The AOPA Real-Time planner is
another new option and offers nice Jeppesen-like enroute charts.

I haven't looked at the latest versions of the different GUI flight
planners lately, but its still hard to beat the text-based flight
planner in DUATS, with its ability to specify mixed user/auto routing
(*a, *g, etc.). Its also the only tool widely available on the road.
The web-based Flightprep might eventually address this, but its
presently unusable for performance reasons, IMHO.
Old June 25th 04, 11:11 PM
Chris Ehlbeck

The major drawback I saw and still see with the AOPA Flight Planner is the
small number of individual aircraft and flight it will allow you to store
because it's stored on the web. With Golden Eagle that's all stored locally
on your hard drive.
--
Chris Ehlbeck, PPASEL
"It's a license to learn."

"Martin Kosina" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old June 26th 04, 02:16 PM
David Reinhart

AOPA has upped the number of routes you can save to 10 and the number of
aircraft profiles to five.

Dave Reinhart

Chris Ehlbeck wrote:

[...]

FS: 1992 "McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle" Hardcover Edition Book J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 0 August 25th 04 06:12 AM
Golden Eagle Flight Prep Mike Adams Piloting 0 May 17th 04 01:36 AM
FS: 1982 "The Molson Golden London International Air Show" Commemorative Pin J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 0 April 21st 04 06:33 AM
Marv Golden ANR? Sam Bradshaw Piloting 2 April 17th 04 07:16 PM
filing with DUATS Ditch Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 14th 04 09:38 AM