AS 33

Old July 6th 18, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_1_]

Default AS 33

Where to start?

AS-W20 wing angle of incidence wrong on many brand new ships. Many -20's required new control surfaces.

Numerous modern ships of all flavors with significant "spar waves". Same with gel coat that was failing from when shipped. If gliders were pickups, there would be class action lawsuits over these issues.

Recent bolt issues in Wankel engines.

Numerous examples of all brands where the as-built ship does not match the blueprints in either the composite structure or the hardware install.

Not that i could ever afford it, but I would never buy a brand new ship. All are one-off handbuilt with lots of opportunity for operator error.
Old July 6th 18, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Having worked for a German manufacturer it is safe to say that there are issues with all of them. Whether it be SH, AS or DG. These are all hand made products, made to the highest standards, but even then it is possible for things to slip through the gaps.

It wasn't the direction I thought this thread should have gone in....

I hope the new 33 is as good as they hope after the marginal success of the 30 and 31.
Old July 6th 18, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Justin Craig[_3_]

Not a collapse,

Punctured tyre.

First V3a - undercarriage collapse today at the worlds see Adam Woolleys
FB page.

Old July 6th 18, 01:25 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Quebec View Post
Ive never seen any of those brands in the same repair shop with faults from new.
Perhaps instead of hand waving you could show some examples?
Yeh, I thought not.
A snippet from a SH TN for example

SUBJECT: Elevator, fixing of mass balance weights
AFFECTED: Sailplane Ventus-2a, Ventus-2b (TC-No.: 349)
(all S/Nos complying with Modification Bulletin No. 349-42 or modified
according Technical Note No. 349-27 and equipped with a new tail unit))
S/Nos: 1, 2, 31, 32, 48, 54, 71, 117, 124 through 151 and 153
Sailplane Discus-2a, Discus-2b (TC-No.: 360)
S/Nos: 1 through 185, 187 through 189
Powered sailplane Discus-2T (TC-No. 863)
S/Nos: 1 through 33

REASON: During a pre-flight check of a Discus-2T a roughness of the elevator
control was noticed. After the removal of one elevator two loose
pieces of lead were found. The outmost mass balance weight was
separated and broken in two pieces.
Old July 6th 18, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 12:52:24 AM UTC+1, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Ive never seen any of those brands in the same repair shop with faults from new.
Perhaps instead of hand waving you could show some examples?
Yeh, I thought not.

On delivery. Gliders I have bought new:

LS7: OK
Discus Bt OK - but it was completed and fitted out in the UK.

Duo T - TE tube not connected in the fin.

Discus 2cT - a tailplane rigging knob found to be stuck between the base of the fin and rudder (presumably dropped down form the top in the factor.

JS1c - fin ballast dump valve blocked. I spent 2 full days at the factory inspecting, test flying and collecting that one and we all still missed it.

Like someone else said, they are all hand built. They go through different fittings installations depending on the owner's requirements. I'd happily buy from JS, SH or Schleicher and am waiting for a Ventus at present.
Old July 6th 18, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

JS-1C............’Da Bomb!!!!
Old July 6th 18, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 1:00:08 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:
At 03:00 05 July 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 12:35:02 PM UTC-7,
wrote=
:
The JS-3 is gonna spank it=E2=80=99s pee pee.

Rather bold unsubstantiated claim. While Jonkers is a welcome addition

=
the list of manufacturers, Schleicher has built more ASG-29's than

Jonkers
=
has total aircraft. I bet Schleicher knows a thing or two on how to make
t=
heir new glider slip a bit better.

Yeah the 28 and 30 and 31 have been real world beaters

The ASH-26, ASH-31 and ASH-30 were all designed by Martin H., as self launch motor gliders. The ASH-31 has sold over 300 gliders, sounds pretty successful to me, maybe you can name some other current self launcher that is as successful? As motor gliders they have more wing area so they can climb in weak thermals.

Schleicher and Schempp have a long history of making great gliders. Jonkers has started that tradition too, however they have only produced a handful of gliders compared to the other two listed. It will be interesting to see if the V3 designed as a low energy glider with higher wing area and lower wing loading than the J3 or AS33 will prove to be the glider to have in all conditions. Only a few pilots race, most want a glider they can fly when it is strong or weak. On winter days I really miss the 6.2 pounds of my nimbus 4, and on summer days the 9.2 pounds just didn't seem enough, until the end of the day when I was still flying and the heavier wing loaded birds were on the ground put away. As for the ASW-28, standard is dead, and Schleicher never made a seriously competitive Standard class glider. Although I thought my ASW-24 was on par with a Discus in the run, maybe slightly better, I thought it did not climb as well, but it had a forward hinged canopy instead of the silly side hinged.
Old July 7th 18, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another motor glider as successful as the ASH 31? There are 291 Ventus 2cM (including X variants) self launchers listed on the Rcawsey.co.uk site against 154 ASH 31s (although the latter list hadn't been updated recently). Also more self launching than turbo Ventus's are listed. I don't expect these figures to be entirely accurate on a spotter site but the point to the, for me very surprising, fact that SH are a major manufacturer of self launchers that are mostly registered into the large German market.
Old July 7th 18, 08:20 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

[quote=Jonathan St. Cloud;973115]On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 1:00:08 PM UTC-7, Paul T wrote:[color=blue][i]
At 03:00 05 July 2018, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 12:35:02 PM UTC-7,
wrote=
:
The JS-3 is gonna spank it=E2=80=99s pee pee.

Rather bold unsubstantiated claim. While Jonkers is a welcome addition

=
the list of manufacturers, Schleicher has built more ASG-29's than

Jonkers
=
has total aircraft. I bet Schleicher knows a thing or two on how to make
t=
heir new glider slip a bit better.

'As for the ASW-28, standard is dead, and Schleicher never made a seriously competitive Standard class glider.'

Apart from the Ka6 maybe. . . .

:-) Colin
Old July 7th 18, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

ASH31 was sold in an amount the other manufactures can dream of!