Silly controller

Old August 28th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Silly controller

Newps wrote:

Sam Spade wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Christopher C. Stacy" wrote in message

When he gave you the clearance for the approach, did he say
"Maintain VFR?" If not, you were really IFR.

No. You're really IFR when you hear "Cleared to..."

How about this:

Pilot: "SoCal Approach, Piper 1234B is 10 west of Paradise on top at
5,500. Request ILS approach to Chino 26 Right."

ATC: "34B squawk 2133...34B radar contact, fly present heading for the
Chino ILS 26 Right. Descend and maintain 4,000."

Did the controller issue an IFR clearance?

No, you started out VFR and you have to inform ATC if you can't maintain
VFR.

So, when did "descend to and maintain 4,000" no longer constitute an IFR
clearance?

I haven't done a pop-up in a long time, but when I did do them, no
controller said, "Cleared to the Chino Airport." that was obvious by the
fact I was very near Chino and the controller gave me a heading for the
requested ILS to that airport.

Perhaps this stuff has changed since I last did it.

I only do full-press IFR, and have for a long time since I hung up the
old CFI-I.
Old August 28th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Emily[_1_]

Roy Smith wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:
Pilot: "SoCal Approach, Piper 1234B is 10 west of Paradise on top at
5,500. Request ILS approach to Chino 26 Right."

ATC: "34B squawk 2133...34B radar contact, fly present heading for the
Chino ILS 26 Right. Descend and maintain 4,000."

Did the controller issue an IFR clearance?

Nope. What you want to hear is "cleared to the Chino airport". Then
you're IFR.

On the other hand, "maintain 4,000" sure sounds pretty IFR-like.

If he was VFR, I think it just sounds like flight following talk.
Old August 28th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Roy Smith wrote:

Sam Spade wrote:

Pilot: "SoCal Approach, Piper 1234B is 10 west of Paradise on top at
5,500. Request ILS approach to Chino 26 Right."

ATC: "34B squawk 2133...34B radar contact, fly present heading for the
Chino ILS 26 Right. Descend and maintain 4,000."

Did the controller issue an IFR clearance?

Nope. What you want to hear is "cleared to the Chino airport". Then
you're IFR.

On the other hand, "maintain 4,000" sure sounds pretty IFR-like.

Nope, you requested a practice approach, thereby agreeing to be
vectored/sequenced.

Old August 28th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Sam Spade wrote:

No, you started out VFR and you have to inform ATC if you can't
maintain VFR.

So, when did "descend to and maintain 4,000" no longer constitute an IFR
clearance?

When you're VFR. You asked to be vectored/sequenced for an approach.
Just how do you think he's going to do that?

I haven't done a pop-up in a long time, but when I did do them, no
controller said, "Cleared to the Chino Airport." that was obvious by the
fact I was very near Chino and the controller gave me a heading for the
requested ILS to that airport.

Then that was wrong. An IFR clearance must start with "cleared to..."

Old August 28th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

So, when did "descend to and maintain 4,000" no longer constitute an IFR clearance?

It never was an IFR clearance. It may be a cardinal IFR altitude, but
being at an altitude isn't the same as a clearance.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old August 28th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" writes:

The instruction "Cleared for the ILS runway 23 at Foobar maintain 2000 until established"
contains "cleared", a route (which is even a charted IFR procedure), an altitude,
and a clearance limit (landing Foobar airport, or executing the published missed
approach procedure). How is that not an IFR clearance?

I think it is, unless the controller adds the words "maintain VFR".
When I want a practice approach and the controller fails to say "VFR",
I add it back in to try and make sure, like:
"Cherokee 97R cleared for the ILS 29 maintain VFR".

No, to be IFR you must have a clearance limit. The clearance must clear
you to some specific thing (like an intersection or most commonly, a
destination).
So a common popup IFR approach clearance sounds like...
"Cleared to the Foobar airport via radar vectors, fly heading 123,
maintain 2000 until established cleared for the ILS runway 22 foobar".
(Notice the "cleared to Foobar airport at the begining showing its an
IFR clearance.

-Robert, CFII

Old August 28th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Montblack[_1_]

("Jose" wrote)
"Tracy", being an uncontrolled airport in NorCal's area, wouldn't have
any strips at all :-)

Just because it's uncontrolled doesn't mean they don't have strips. In
fact, there's an entire thread about a destination in NY with its own
strips. I think that's way out of control.

I laughed. :-)

Montblack

Old August 28th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Hamish Reid

In article ,
Jose wrote:

ATC: "34B squawk 2133...34B radar contact, fly present heading for the
Chino ILS 26 Right. Descend and maintain 4,000."

Did the controller issue an IFR clearance?

I've had the situation where I've contacted SoCal approach just like
that, VFR, for an approach into STS (which was IFR with nighttime fog).

SoCal, into STS?

Hamish