Piper Archer carb heat

Old December 30th 13, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Piper Archer carb heat

On Wednesday, January 8, 1997 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Bob Webster wrote:
Does anyone know when should carb heat be applied in a Piper Archer? I've been
told (a) just for a short period (20 seconds) during the landing checklist,
and (b) from the landing checklist until landing.

The POH says use carb heat "as needed", and mentions using it on descent. It
says not to use carb heat on approach because you may need the power in an
abort. I think I would rather abort with partial power (assuming I forget to
turn off the carb heat) instead of lose the engine because of carb ice, but
how likely is that in a Piper? I understand that once carb heat kills the
engine, it won't be restarting. When is "as needed"?

The only time I've experienced carb ice was in a 152 at 5500' and at cruise
speed. I've been told that the Piper Archer is not as susceptible because of
the placement of the carburetor. Is that right?

[...]

Hello Bob,

My name is Joe and I just bought a Cherokee 180 archer to replace the Cherokee 140 I had that was blown away by the storm Sandy.

As far has carb heat goes when I flew the 140 I only used it for the simulated engine out practice that we do. For normal landing never use it and never had problem. I have been flying the 180 for now using the numbers from 140 so far so good. Let me know if you come across anything that says we should use it for landing the P.O.H. says as need I am also confused. you can reach me at this e-mail I am based at 39N Princeton NJ and still getting used to the 180 archer.

Thanks,

Joe

Carb Heat [email protected] Rotorcraft 11 April 30th 07 06:34 PM
Carb Heat vlado Piloting 9 January 22nd 07 04:08 PM
Use of Carb Heat John Kirksey Piloting 4 November 30th 04 08:26 PM
FS: Piper J3 Carb Heat Box Tampatexan Aviation Marketplace 0 October 15th 03 01:18 AM
FS: Piper J3 Carb Heat Box Tampatexan Restoration 0 October 15th 03 01:18 AM