Carrying flight gear on the airlines

Old November 20th 04, 06:03 AM
Peter MacPherson

Default Carrying flight gear on the airlines

I'm helping a friend move his plane down to Florida for the winter
and will be flying back on the airlines. Since I'll be bringing my flight
gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is there anything
that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't finish their Christmas
shopping with all my gear? I'd hate to be told, "nope, you can't take this
GPS, or this handheld radio". "Hmmm...bubba sure gonna like these
presents...". ; - )

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Old November 20th 04, 06:22 AM
Dave Stadt

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message
newseAnd.55139$V41.15028@attbi_s52...
I'm helping a friend move his plane down to Florida for the winter
and will be flying back on the airlines. Since I'll be bringing my flight
gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is there anything
that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't finish their Christmas
shopping with all my gear? I'd hate to be told, "nope, you can't take this
GPS, or this handheld radio". "Hmmm...bubba sure gonna like these
presents...". ; - )

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Based on the recent news stories about TSA folks stealing from luggage and
the fact one in five has a criminal record you might want to consider FEDEX.

Old November 20th 04, 06:24 AM
Peter Duniho

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message
newseAnd.55139$V41.15028@attbi_s52...
I'm helping a friend move his plane down to Florida for the winter
and will be flying back on the airlines. Since I'll be bringing my flight
gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is there anything
that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't finish their Christmas
shopping with all my gear?

My advice would be to ship via UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, or whoever you
like best anything you would rather see again at the other end.

It's funny...before 9/11, I thought that airline travel couldn't get any
worse. How wrong I was...

Old November 20th 04, 11:55 AM
Friedrich Ostertag

Hi Peter,

Peter MacPherson wrote:
I'm helping a friend move his plane down to Florida for the winter
and will be flying back on the airlines. Since I'll be bringing my
flight gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is
there anything that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't finish
their Christmas shopping with all my gear? I'd hate to be told,
"nope, you can't take this GPS, or this handheld radio".
"Hmmm...bubba sure gonna like these presents...". ; - )

Any help would be appreciated.

grow a mustache and tell them "I'm gonna need these later during the
flight..."

regards,
Friedrich

--
for personal email please remove "entfernen" from my adress

Old November 20th 04, 01:23 PM
Karl-Heinz Künzel

Are you talking here about cabin baggade?

Must be a bad joke!

Old November 20th 04, 01:48 PM
Friedrich Ostertag

Hi Peter,

I'm helping a friend move his plane down to Florida for the winter
and will be flying back on the airlines. Since I'll be bringing my
flight gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is
there anything that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't

finish
their Christmas shopping with all my gear? I'd hate to be told,
"nope, you can't take this GPS, or this handheld radio".
"Hmmm...bubba sure gonna like these presents...". ; - )

Any help would be appreciated.

grow a mustache and tell them "I'm gonna need these later during the
flight..."

to add a serious comment: As long as you take out any batteries I can't
imagine any security risk. As to the risk of theft from checked luggage
I cannot comment. I never had anything stolen from checked-in luggage.
But even if - wouldn't that be insured up to a certain value?

regards,
Friedrich

--
for personal email please remove "entfernen" from my adress

Old November 20th 04, 04:42 PM
Fox Hound

I'm helping a friend move his plane down to Florida for the winter
and will be flying back on the airlines. Since I'll be bringing my flight
gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is there anything
that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't finish their Christmas
shopping with all my gear? I'd hate to be told, "nope, you can't take this
GPS, or this handheld radio". "Hmmm...bubba sure gonna like these
presents...". ; - )

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

I've traveled with my flight gear bag as my carry on bag several times. I
forgot about my leatherman knife down in the bottom of the bag once and the
screeners caught it and took it away. But other than that, they had no
problem with my headsets, kneeboard, fuel tester or anything else. I've
traveled before with bubble-wrapped panel mount nav/coms, transponders, and
flight instruments in my carry on luggage a few times when going to pick up
an airplane. I got the special search and questions about what it is, but
they let me go on with it. I think the metal round case of the turn
coordinator set them off, they seemed real interested in that. People
bring their handheld GPS on commercial aircraft all the time, and depending
on the airline you may even be able to turn it in flight.

Three months after 9-11 a friend of mine had a sudden change of plans and
showed up at the airport with only his flight gear bag, no other luggage,
and bought a one-way ticket at the check-in counter at the airport. He got
the special treatment by the screeners but otherwise nothing unusual and he
flew right on home. So don't get too uptight about carrying your flight
gear with you.

Old November 20th 04, 06:01 PM
Peter Duniho

"Friedrich Ostertag" wrote in message
to add a serious comment: As long as you take out any batteries I can't
imagine any security risk.

Of course there would be no REAL security risk. But that's not what TSA is
looking for. They are confiscating anything with a *perceived* security
risk, and using pretty ****-poor "perception" to make that determination.

Old November 21st 04, 12:13 AM
Michelle P

Peter,
If I every stop working for an airplane . I will stop using commercial
airports. The line a Dulles is usually over an hour long. I get to use
the employee line. It is the only thing that makes traveling tolerable.
Michelle

Peter Duniho wrote:

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message
newseAnd.55139$V41.15028@attbi_s52...

I'm helping a friend move his plane down to Florida for the winter
and will be flying back on the airlines. Since I'll be bringing my flight
gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is there anything
that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't finish their Christmas
shopping with all my gear?

My advice would be to ship via UPS, FedEx, Airborne Express, or whoever you
like best anything you would rather see again at the other end.

It's funny...before 9/11, I thought that airline travel couldn't get any
worse. How wrong I was...

--

Michelle P ATP-ASEL, CP-AMEL, and AMT-A&P

"Elisabeth" a Maule M-7-235B (no two are alike)

Volunteer Pilot, Angel Flight Mid-Atlantic

Volunteer Builder, Habitat for Humanity

Old November 21st 04, 12:15 AM
Michelle P

Peter,
Ship it or pack in your checked luggage. Do not try to carry it on. You
will loose some of it at security. Shipping preferred. Better insurance
if it gets damaged or lost.
Michelle