tail ballast antifreeze

Old June 27th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default tail ballast antifreeze

I've read the past posts on using ~20% methanol to prevent tail ballast
from freezing. I have these questions three:

1) Is methanol in any way corrosive to rubber parts/seals?

2) Is there a reason not to use ethanol if methanol can't be found?

3) Does a glider flying in the Great Basin area in July, between 15k
and 18k for 7+ hours, really need tail ballast anti-freeze?

~ted/2NO

Old June 28th 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

JS has a lot more experience than I flying the Great Basin, but in the FWIW
category, the winds aloft forecast will have the forecast temperatures
aloft.

I just got a forecast of the DUATS net for a VGT to RNO flight for tomorrow
morning and the forecast temps at 12K MSL is +09 and at 18K MSL at -09.

Freezing level forecast is:
Freezing Level
Idaho ... 14,000 feet to 15,500 feet.
Montana ... 12,500 feet to 13,000 feet eastern. 13,000 feet to 14,500 feet
remainder.
Wyoming ... 13,500 feet to 15,500 feet.
Nevada ... 15,000 feet to 16,000 feet.
Utah ... 15,000 feet to 16,000 feet.
Colorado ... 13,500 feet to 15,500 feet.
Arizona ... 15,000 feet to 16,000 feet.
New Mexico ... 14,000 feet to 15,500 feet.

So if you plan on staying too long above 15KMSL, mmmmmm

BT

"JS" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

3) Does a glider flying in the Great Basin area in July, between 15k
and 18k for 7+ hours, really need tail ballast anti-freeze?

~ted/2NO

It's not necessary, Ted!
Just load it to MGW and your desired C/G and have fun.
Jim

Old June 28th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"BTIZ" wrote in message

So if you plan on staying too long above 15KMSL, mmmmmm

BT

It puzzles me that so many glider pilots cannot solve basic problems without
resorting to alcohol or booze!! Duh, simply use boiling water for ballast
and you can safely (?) extend your stay above the freezing level by at least
10 minutes .

I know, I know, you're probably asking yourself, "Why didn't I think of
that?".

all the best,
--
bumper
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Old June 28th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"bumper" wrote in message
news

"BTIZ" wrote in message

So if you plan on staying too long above 15KMSL, mmmmmm

BT

It puzzles me that so many glider pilots cannot solve basic problems
without resorting to alcohol or booze!! Duh, simply use boiling water for
ballast and you can safely (?) extend your stay above the freezing level
by at least 10 minutes .

I know, I know, you're probably asking yourself, "Why didn't I think of
that?".

all the best,
--
bumper
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

Of course, you could put an electric heater in the fin tank. That would
give you yet another reason to install two 25AH (14V?) batteries.

bildan

Old June 28th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm betting there is a really good reason, but why not use automotive
antifreeze? Is it not compatible with composites?

Very bad for the environment.

Old June 28th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

bumper
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

around here we call that "Nevelling"
after Neville Robinson who perfected the technique
BT

Old June 28th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I got this from our resident physicist and weather guru:

snip
From NHTSA on methanol in fuels:

"Methanol will attack and corrode certain metals, such as magnesium and
aluminum. Additionally, the corrosion products of aluminum and methanol
will precipitate out of the liquid fuel and clog filters and fuel
injectors. For this reason, it is recommended that metals such as
stainless steel and carbon steel be used in methanol fuel systems and
fuel delivery systems. Methanol will also attack many common
elastomeric materials, like rubber, polyurethane, and most plastics.
Elastomers with high fluorine content and Teflon have been proven to be
compatible with methanol."

.... Ethanol is probably safer.
/snip

Thanks Mike!

~ted/2NO
"Jack Daniels for my V2C!"

AH64 tail rotor CivetOne Rotorcraft 3 October 23rd 03 07:18 PM
The prone postion for tail gunners versus turrets. The Enlightenment Military Aviation 8 July 22nd 03 11:01 PM