Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

Old October 10th 18, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

Default Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

3 New Diamonds and Lennie #1's at the Mt. Washington Wave camp yesterday.
Potentially a new state record as well, but verifying the logs.

Tows were as low as 2K, with highest climb in the 32K range
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....C0&sc=&sp=2019

Old October 10th 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Did the wave camp have a special waiver allowing flights above FL280 and into RVSM airspace?
Old October 10th 18, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Usually wave camps, that have their crap together, have a "wave window" set up with local FAA types. They get a suitable block airspace, then make a call and "open the window".
I am SURE Mt. Washington, Petersburg, WV., several spots in CO., etc. all have this.
Old October 10th 18, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Moriarty, too, though in the nine years I've been in the area I've only
seen the window opened once.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 10th 18, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I knew I didn't know every location, just saying "regular wave sites" have an agreement.

Still trying to get my last badge out of Middletown, NY. I started here, soloed here, went through Gold with 2 diamonds here, just like "UH".
He (UH) finally went to Mt. Washington the other year to complete his diamonds to add to the, "mass 1000K" at NewCastle in VA., I believe only 2 diamond climbs in the state of NY in history.
Yes, possible now and then over Ellenville, NY., but hard.
We are about 10 miles downwind of the "ridge", the plateau by Ellenville is best bet (where I got my Gold climb).

BTW, for history buffs, Steve Bennis and wife (Ginny/Virginia) (later a Schweitzer) started gliding ops in the region. He is a hall of famer.
He also owned Middletown, gave me a PVT and COMM checkride.

Old October 15th 18, 09:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So, how about a Diamond climb without the need for a wave window? Here is how you do it:

Launch out of Santa Ynez (California) Airport KIZA on a north wind day with wave conditions forecast. Ridge soar the mountains just south of the field (Santa Ynez Peak to Bald Mountain etc.) until you are sure the ridge lift is there. Do a redline pass down the dry river bed at the base of those mountains (~500 ft MSL if you really push it, woohoo). Pull back up into the ridge lift and re-establish a climb. Float at min sink or find a thermal that takes you to at least 5000 ft MSL or so. Turn downwind and head for Santa Rosa Island (you will be heading over the water, and seeing the shoreline disappear under your wings is definitely spooky). Contact the wave downwind of the mountains and over the water. Climb to 18,000 ft MSL, presto, a Diamond climb!

Oh, and you may want to pre-check for bailout fields downwind of the mountains, west of Goleta. There were some decent ones back in the '80's, that were checked out and walked before this was attempted. I have no idea if those fields are still there....

I didn't invent this, the old Santa Ynez crew back in the late '80's told me about it, they had flown this profile numerous times. I tried it in October 1989 in my '20, but the wave only went to 11,000 ft or so that day. I already had my Diamond climb (Mt Mitchell NC in 1985) so I didn't go on a campaign for getting to 18,000 ft.... But Diamond climbs had been done that way, so I was told.

I hope I don't get in trouble for sharing this....

Cheers,
J6
Old October 15th 18, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 4:59:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I did my Diamond climb at Gorham a few years ago. Low point about 700 above the airport. Max 17990. Made Diamond by 62 feet. I was told that this was the 5th "legal" Diamond done there.
Window was not open that day because gubment shutdown had just ended and they need the airspace for other stuff.
FWIW
UH
Old October 15th 18, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

=
the 5th "legal" Diamond done there.
Window was not open that day because gubment shutdown had just

ended and
th=
ey need the airspace for other stuff.
FWIW
UH

UH,

Maybe the 5th one out of Gorham, but there were numerous
climbs like that made from the old White Mountain airport in North
Conway before that airport was closed. After we opened up modern
wave flying there in 1966, people figured out that one didn't have to
tow 23 miles to get to the primary at Pinkham Notch. All one had to
do was climb up off the ridge at the east end of the airport and then
jump about 5 or 6 waves upwind. There were numerous flights that
were made to Diamond altitude gains with releases about 300' AGL on
the ridge right off the end of the runway. It sure cut down on the
launch time intervals as opposed to the tow plane having to do a 46
mile round trip through the Moat Mountain range rotor out and back.

RO

Old October 15th 18, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

We "can" do that out of Middletown, NY or Wurtsboro, NY.
For me (looking for last Diamond from Middletown, NY.......K06N), we can tow to Wurtsboro ridge, if ridge is working, yes....... high speed pass low (did it for my go.d climb on a crappy day in October....several tries beforehand....).
Then ridge fly up, big air intake, dive around the knob before Ellenville, find a thermal, get into the wave.

I have been in the wave in a C-150 on glider freq. told gliders I knew they were there, I would stay out of the way.
When I did my gold climb, it was a fluke, Chip Beardon (JB) was up as well. It looked doable, Hank (the real UH now) said, load a barograph, go for it.
I got my climb.
I still want a diamond climb from Middletown, NY. Then I can have all SSA badges from one site ("A" through 3 diamonds).
Hank (UH) did the same but diamond climb, then again, he was part of the "mass 1000K" at Newcastle a few decades ago.

So yes, it can be done, it just adds to the level.
Frankly, doing a diamond climb in the NE US is tough. Some tougher than others.

BTW, my badges were done by the log, photo proof (killed my 1st diamond distance) or Replogle barograph.
Old October 16th 18, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 2:10:08 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
[...]

Hey Charlie,

If you would like some materials to help in pursuit of your Diamond Climb in the Catskills, send me a note at usnightlysoaring at gmail.com and I'll send it your way.

All the best,
Daniel