F-14 with the Playboy bunny logo?

Old December 12th 04, 05:23 AM

Default F-14 with the Playboy bunny logo?

A few months ago Playboy magazine had a picture of an all-black F-14 with
the bunny logo.

I thought this logo had been banned from Navy aircraft after the Tailhook
scandal. Does anybody know any details?

Old December 12th 04, 06:47 AM
Raymond Marshall

D wrote:
A few months ago Playboy magazine had a picture of an all-black F-14 with
the bunny logo.

That's the old flagship of VX-4... probably an old photo, but I
don't have a firm date. I think the F-4 with the bunny on the
tail flying in parade with an SR-71 is one of the coolest
pictures I've seen.

Ray
Old December 12th 04, 03:26 PM
Pechs1

D writes- A few months ago Playboy magazine had a picture of an all-black
F-14 with
the bunny logo.

I thought this logo had been banned from Navy aircraft after the Tailhook
scandal. Does anybody know any details? BRBR

When I was XO of VX-4, we had a F-14 and F-4, all black with the bunny.
Tailhook meant that the CO changed it, but I don't think it was 'banned', in
spite of all the BS that was being thrown around after Tailhook '91.

Where this came from was when Hugh Hefner had a 727, all black, with the bunny.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 12th 04, 04:50 PM
Yofuri

Pechs1 wrote:
D writes- A few months ago Playboy magazine had a picture of an all-black
F-14 with
the bunny logo.

I thought this logo had been banned from Navy aircraft after the Tailhook
scandal. Does anybody know any details? BRBR

When I was XO of VX-4, we had a F-14 and F-4, all black with the bunny.
Tailhook meant that the CO changed it, but I don't think it was 'banned', in
spite of all the BS that was being thrown around after Tailhook '91.

Where this came from was when Hugh Hefner had a 727, all black, with the bunny.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)

Wasn't the first one an A4 when J.R. Foster was CO, in '66 or '67?

Rick
Old December 12th 04, 05:53 PM
Jake Donovan

The Bunny is back and has been for some time. Yes it was taken off post
Tailhook for PC reasons but no OFFICIAL reason.

Jake

"Yofuri" wrote in message
Pechs1 wrote:
D writes- A few months ago Playboy magazine had a picture of an
all-black
F-14 with the bunny logo.

I thought this logo had been banned from Navy aircraft after the Tailhook
scandal. Does anybody know any details? BRBR

When I was XO of VX-4, we had a F-14 and F-4, all black with the bunny.
Tailhook meant that the CO changed it, but I don't think it was 'banned',
in
spite of all the BS that was being thrown around after Tailhook '91.

Where this came from was when Hugh Hefner had a 727, all black, with the
bunny.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

Old December 13th 04, 01:14 PM
Greasy Rider

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:50:29 -0800, Yofuri
postulated :

Wasn't the first one an A4 when J.R. Foster was CO, in '66 or '67?

Do you remember if this "J.R. Foster" red headed?
He may have been in a squadron with me.
Old December 13th 04, 02:30 PM
Pechs1

Jake- The Bunny is back and has been for some time. Yes it was taken off
post
Tailhook for PC reasons but no OFFICIAL reason. BRBR

Glad to hear it. SCREW the PC knuckleheads that continue to try to take the
spirit out of NAVAIR.

The USMC 'Stationwagon' unit never did stop, did they?

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 13th 04, 06:25 PM
Yofuri

Greasy Rider wrote:
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 08:50:29 -0800, Yofuri
postulated :

Wasn't the first one an A4 when J.R. Foster was CO, in '66 or '67?

Do you remember if this "J.R. Foster" red headed?
He may have been in a squadron with me.

Red hair and a nose to match! You've probably seen his photo many times
without knowing it. His resemblance to Uncle Sam in the "Uncle Sam
Wants You" poster was so close that some NAVRES wags got his official
photo morphed onto a plate in the Navy Printing Office. No one knows
how many prints were circulated before it was caught. I wish I had one.

That occurred after he had been CO of VX-4, CO of NAS Dallas, and was on
a revenge assigmnent as CoS to COMNAVRESCOM, Pierre Charbonneau (SP?)

Rick

Old December 18th 04, 01:55 PM
Pechs1

No Spam- In the old days, I understood a USMC squadron (I think it was
VMAQ-2)
was the only squadron authorized by Playboy Enterprises to use its
"Bunny" logo. BRBR

Hugh Hefner did indeed allow VX-4 to use the bunny on the tail. He even had a
F-4 model for awhile in the 'mansion'...black with bunny.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)