$1500 Cash Reward

Old May 26th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default $1500 Cash Reward

On May 25, 10:03 am, wrote:
$1500 cash reward for info leading to arrest and conviction of lowlife
scum thieves who broke into hangars and aircraft at Rutherford County,
NC Airport [KFQD] and stole the following items on or about Thursday,
May 19, 2007:

I'll kick in a twenty... subject to the conviction AND incarceration
of the thief. (This slap-on-the-hand, suspended-sentence bull**** is
a virtual guarantee the guy(s) will do it again.)

I'm sorry I can't offer more but perhaps a few other airmen will chip
in.

As a personal note you might want to consider hiring your own
investigator. After the local Sheriff had signed-off on the scene of
a break-in and robbery a retired Fibbie collected more than a dozen
fingerprints the deputies had missed, along with a partial shoe print.

-R.S.Hoover
-EAA 58400 (Life Member)

PS -- Contact me privately to exchange addresses.

Old May 26th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

When you think about it, though, a hangar could be more secure than a
typical home. Entry to a house can be attained with no further investment
than a stone through a window. The hangars at my airport have only a
single point of entry...no glass to smash, no patio doors to lift off
the track, not even wooden door jambs to splinter. Mind you, the
locking mechanism on the door isn't the greatest, but it at least
gives only ONE point the occupant has to upgrade to increase security.

My current hangar is a steel structure with sheet metal siding. Its
your typical T-hangar set-up, with internal walls (sheet metal again)
separating the individual units.

With a cordless drill and (maybe) some sheet metal snips I'm sure I
could be inside my hangar unit within 15 minutes just by removing
some sheet metal. Once I was inside a unit, I could work my way to
all the other units without anyone noticing. Who would suspect the
whine of a drill or a rattle of sheet metal around a hangar?

(uhh, to any black hats -- I am in the middle of a move and so
my hangar is empty at the moment)

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old May 27th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 26 May 2007 20:59:02 +0000 (UTC), Frank Stutzman
wrote:

With a cordless drill and (maybe) some sheet metal snips I'm sure I
could be inside my hangar unit within 15 minutes just by removing
some sheet metal. Once I was inside a unit, I could work my way to
all the other units without anyone noticing. Who would suspect the
whine of a drill or a rattle of sheet metal around a hangar?

A piece of cinder block would get you into a private residence in far less than
15 minutes....and the batteries never go dead. :-)

And your typical thieves (who really aren't that bright to start with) are more
likely to find quickly-fencable items in the private residence.

I'm starting to wonder if the hangars were targeted *because* of the guns.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 27th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message

My current hangar is a steel structure with sheet metal siding. Its
your typical T-hangar set-up, with internal walls (sheet metal again)
separating the individual units.

With a cordless drill and (maybe) some sheet metal snips I'm sure I
could be inside my hangar unit within 15 minutes just by removing
some sheet metal. Once I was inside a unit, I could work my way to
all the other units without anyone noticing. Who would suspect the
whine of a drill or a rattle of sheet metal around a hangar?

Everyone might check their own hangers to be sure, but many are a 2 second
trip through a walk in door, even with a deadbolt.

A lot of the door facings on metal buildings can be sprung far enough with a
tire tool, that you can get in quicker that way than with a key. The facing
will usually even spring back completely, leaving very little evidence that
the building has been entered.

Old May 27th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

I'm starting to wonder if the hangars were targeted *because* of the guns.

Bingo!

Someone knew they were there, and went in to get them.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 27th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

John Ammeter wrote:
Not all hangars are that secure... I used to keep my RV-6 in a hangar
at a local airfield. Brand new hangars with a "man door" in one end of
the main slider doors. The man door lock could easily be opened by
simply reaching through the opening at the end of the main hangar door.
The fire department wouldn't let us put a keyed deadbolt on the door
unless we kept the key IN THE LOCK, accessible just as before by
reaching inside the opening...

So? Remove the key when vacating the building. I'm sure the fire
department just wanted to ensure no one would be trapped inside in the
event of a fire. Leave the key in when you are inside, remove it when
you go home.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 27th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"Dan" wrote in message

So? Remove the key when vacating the building. I'm sure the fire
department just wanted to ensure no one would be trapped inside in the
event of a fire. Leave the key in when you are inside, remove it when you
go home.

I'll have to agree with you on that, Dan. The uniform building and fire
codes do not prohibit keyed deadbolts on an aircraft hanger unless the
building is occupied, IIRC. If the fire inspector required a key on the
inside at all times, I'd ask him to show me chapter and verse.

Rich S.
Certified Uniform Fire Code Inspector (1985-88)

Old May 27th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rip

wrote:
$1500 cash reward for info leading to arrest and conviction of lowlife
scum thieves who broke into hangars and aircraft at Rutherford County,
NC Airport [KFQD] and stole the following items on or about Thursday,
May 19, 2007:

1. King KX-99 Portable Navcomm Radio with new NiMH Rechargeable
battery pack and slow charger
2. Pointer 3000 Emergency Locator Transmitter with fresh battery and
snap-in antenna
3. Set of 1/4" drive Snap-on Ratchet Tools with Spare Flex head drive
and 3 extra universal joint sockets (3/8, 7/16, and 1/2) -- in red
plastic case
5. Set of 3/8" drive Snap-On Ratchet Tools with 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor
and two extra Craftsman ratchets, one long, one short--- new red
plastic case Also set of 1/2 drive Snap-Ons in large canvas bag
6. Garmin GPS 195 with antenna and AA battery pack (I will provide
the serial number)
7. Browning Sportsman .22 LR Semi-Automatic Pistol (Mfd. in Belgium)
with checkered walnut grip and 6" barrel in original vinyl case with
oily silicone rag
8. Colt .25 cal. Semi-Automatic Pistol with checkered walnut grips;
this is a tiny handgun that will fit in the palm of your hand
9. Mauser 9MM Kurz (.380) Double Action Semi-Automatic Pistol with
checkered walnut grips. Engraved on the action: Made in Germany,
Imported by Interarms. This is a small handgun similar to a Walther
PPK. It has an unusual hidden hammer.
All three of these handguns are mint condition collector firearms, in
blue steel finish. I am obtaining the serial numbers and will supply
them at a later time.
10. Winchester pump action 12-gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot;
plug removed from magazine. Barrel end accepts various screw-in choke
inserts.
9. Sheridan Blue Streak Forearm Pump Pellet Air Rifle, .20 caliber --
another rare gun with walnut stock, blue finish
10. Maglite D-Cell Flashlight with 6 cells-- 18" long; police issue,
black finish
11. Garmin 496 GPS Receiver (s/n provided later)--- This expensive
navigation device was taken from a Mooney on the north ramp.
12. Vertex Handheld Comm with cracked screen (s/n______)
13. Cuisinart Blender
14. Various 2-cell Maglite Flashlights and headgear LED lights, also
LED flashlight for cockpit with red LED and white LED
15. Ryobi Rechargeable Rotating Head Flashlight 18-volt NiCad with
charger
16. Canon FTB Single Lens Reflex 35MM Camera in leather case; camera
and case damaged from falling off moving motorcycle and rolling.

We'll add to the list as other items are found to be missing.
Rutherford County, NC Sheriff's Department is in charge of the
investigation; you may obtain my cellphone number from them,
particularly from Detective Bailey.
http://www.rutherfordcountync.gov/de...Detectives.php

Aircraft Break-Ins are being investigated by feds because those break-
ins are felony violations of the United States Code.

This reward is my own personal effort; others may add to it. I'll
follow up on that and with other information as it becomes available.
Beware that felons with similar MO's are operating at small rural
airports along the eastern seaboard, according to the FBI.

Any person who receives, possesses, or purchases any one or more of
these stolen items, knowing or having reason to believe the same is
stolen, is also guilty of a felony.

Vic

Keep a close eye on E-Bay for these items! They won't list guns, but the
others are prime E-Bay material. More than one thief has been nailed by
an E-Bay listing.

Rip

Old May 31st 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On May 27, 11:31 am, "RST Engineering"
wrote:
I'm in for twenty under the same conditions as dub.

Jim

wrote in message

oups.com...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*---------------------

I'll kick in a twenty... subject to the conviction AND incarceration
of the thief. (This slap-on-the-hand, suspended-sentence bull**** is
a virtual guarantee the guy(s) will do it again.)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everbody.

Deputies caught someone trying to fence a set of Bose headsets and
Garmin 295 taken at the airport. Deputy also says they have found my
Garmin 195. Several serch warrants have already been used.
It looks like the thieves were homeboys.

If this pan's out it will be the first time in my life of over 50
years when anything stolen was recovered. I had a car stolen, two
motorcycles, several housebreakings, and plenty of cars broken into
and nobody ever caught and nothing ever returned. I quit driving
convertibles because of the tops getting cut up by car burglers. And
no insureance neither. Am sure most everybody else has been hurt by
thieves. This one gave me a real hartburn that will still burns years
later.

Some time ago two big twin Harly Davidson motorcycles were stolen in a
break-in. ONe of them was mine. It was almost new. License and
thieft division of the Florida Burau of Investigation found one of the
bikes at a Daytona bike show. The numbers had been altared but they
found secrit vehicle identifiction numbers.

They had these thieves caught dead to rights and didn't even arrest
them. They found out the bikes had been taken by a gang in West
Virgina they had connections to one of the mechanics who worked at the
shop where the bikes were stolen.. The person who the bike was stole
form in Daytona came back with a treller with a fake bill of sale and
took it back to West Virginia. His only problem was they wouldn't
issue a tag to him. Nobody was ever brought to justice. There's
severl people who ought to have a bullet in there head but got off
scott free.

$1500 Cash Reward [email protected] Piloting 327 June 12th 07 07:01 PM
$1500 Cash Reward-- Aircraft and Hangar Burglaries at KFQD [email protected] Owning 2 May 26th 07 01:33 AM
Wanted Cambridge 1500 mount Andy Soaring 1 October 19th 05 12:33 AM
Compaq Aero 1500 Cradle PENN2P Soaring 1 October 18th 04 06:04 PM
1500 K in Sierra Wave?? Gary Kemp Soaring 1 March 31st 04 05:26 AM