Soaring in Australia in March

Old September 13th 15, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke

Default Soaring in Australia in March

Hello:
Planning a trip to Australia in March, 2016. Got permission from she who's name shall not be uttered for 3-4 days of soaring during the trip. With Sydney or Melbourne as a gateway (Yarra River Valley anyone?) I am looking for info on flying dual and possibly supervised solo in a foreign land.
First, is there still good flying in March (roughly equivalent to our September in the north)? Have been watching OLC to see volume, type of flying done at various clubs.
Next, looking for recommendations for clubs with decent cross country two seaters I can get some coaching at.
Will need to see if my US glider commercial certificate carries any water in the Antipodes. I am certain my CFI will not as I will be in full student mode for the duration.
Current in Grob 103s and marginally in ASW-20C.
Please advise.
Gene

Old September 13th 15, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Gene,

Great to hear you're planning to expand your gliding horizons to include the Southern Hemisphere. I was once in your very predicament, holding US qualifications and wanting to fly in Australia. The official requirements are listed he

http://www.gfa.org.au/GFA-Ops/foreignpilots.html

I found it far more informal and friendly than the link above makes it sound. Put simply: they just want to confirm you're safe and proficient.

As your review of the OLC will confirm, there's still a lot of soaring to be done in March. Some prefer this time of year for the buoyant conditions without the high heat of mid summer. Naturally, the northern locations will be stronger than the southern.

My search lead me to the Lake Keepit Soaring Club due to:
- Full time operations, 365 days a year,
- Aerotow and winch,
- A large fleet (3xG103 for training, 1xDuo for coaching, 2x tugs, 2xPW5 for early solo and 3xSingle seaters LS7, Discus 2C & Discus 2B for advanced solo and cross country),
-Varied terrain with plenty of loundout options,
-An easy drive from Sydney or 1hr commuter flight from Sydney or Brisbane (then 40min drive from Tamworth),
-In my experience, the most welcoming club in Australia

In the interests of disclosure, I liked it so much I became a member and moved my primary gliding operations there. Though I still glide in the States annually (I live between the two).

Pics are available he

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2vm15qtc7...P6rOj3kIa?dl=0

And the club website is he

www.keepitsoaring.com

If you share a quick wit and a thick skin, the club newsletter is a must read.

Best regards,

CJ
Old September 13th 15, 10:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 5:47:43 AM UTC+3, GeneReinecke wrote:
[...]

One thing to watch out for in Australia is that they have become very strict about observing placarded maximum pilot weights (including parachute etc)..

Of course this may or may not apply to you.
Old September 13th 15, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

Your commercial license may help but is not sufficient to fly solo. More important to bring your log book. To fly here requires you to be a member of the GFA (Gliding Federation of Australia)and a club. To fly solo will require most likely a number of check flights, number depending on your proficiency.
Lake Keepit is certainly an excellent recommendation. Cross country soaring is possible all year around and March is only late summer there and flights to 500 km in a moderate performance glider possible. Good accommodation available on site.
If you come to Melbourne there is still some good soaring to be had in March. Benalla, 250 km north of Melbourne, operates 7 days a week in summer. If you are restricted to weekends, come out to Bacchus Marsh, 60 km west of Melbourne. 3 clubs operate there on weekends and public holidays. Bacchus is not the best cross country site in Australia but I did a few flights from 100 to 400 km out of here last March.
Where ever you decide to go, I'm sure you will made to feel welcome.
Rolf

Old September 14th 15, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 12:52:41 AM UTC+3, wrote:
Hi,

Your commercial license may help but is not sufficient to fly solo. More important to bring your log book. To fly here requires you to be a member of the GFA (Gliding Federation of Australia)and a club. To fly solo will require most likely a number of check flights, number depending on your proficiency.

You'd imagine a strong possibility that for someone with a CFI and commercial that number would be "one". Certainly if the glider used is the same as or similar to what they've flown before.
Old September 18th 15, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 12:47:43 PM UTC+10, GeneReinecke wrote:
[...]

For cross country soaring, I would second Lake Keepit. Beautiful scenery and great conditions, good fleet and very friendly staff (Hi Ian!) and members.
One very endearing thing about LK is the need to shoo the kangaroos off the runway in the late afternoon ( I kid you not)