Hobbs Day 4 7-07 # 711 reporting

Old July 8th 04, 04:06 AM
TomnKeyLargo

Default Hobbs Day 4 7-07 # 711 reporting

Well, what the blipmaps have been saying and what has been happening are too
different things. The last several days it hasn't been anything like the
forcasts the blipmaps have been giving. We started launch at a little after 1
pm. Our tasks were for good soaring conditions. Well, the tasks were changed in
the air as we had relight, and we could only get to 8 thou MSL. Lift was broken
and choppie, winds were to be light and they were out of the south at 15 to 20
kts. When the task were changed they became a MAT of 2.5 hrs with Plains as the
first turn. When the start openned it was dead silent as no one headed out on
course. When the lift would cycle you would sink down back into 100 degree
cockpit temps and start another slow climb. Well, around 2:20 people started
out on course. Climbs were slow, and yep, you guessed it. A very large overhang
starts drifting in from the West, very fast. Soon the contest area is without
sunlight, some land outs start and some just come home early. Like over a hour
early, with final glides and rolling finishes. Some of us make it to a edge of
sunlight and just hang on till things bake off again. This shakes up the
standings, so tonight this is what we have after 4 contest days. In Sports
class, VA is 1st, LY is 2ond, BAD is 3rd, Z is 4th. Standard Class, 927 is
first, 9L is 2ond, 1X is 3rd, V2 is 4th and 9U is 5th. 15 Meter, # 711 is 1st,
ZL is 2ond, 7F is 3rd., MD is 4th, BV is 5th. The top point spread is close, so
we 2 days to go. Tonight we had a cookout and it was very good. The SSA office
staff came over and put it on for us. The weather has not been what has made
Hobbs famous as a race site, but the racing we are having is a real test of
soaring skills, rule knowledge and when to start along with where to go. We
have had all MAT's so far with only one TAT. I guess the old P.O.S.T. is still
alive when the CD and advisers cann't think of a area to race in. They have
been trying hard, very hard to come up with tasks, but it seems within a few
hrs the weather changes and all the plans just splash. Thermal tight, Soar
high, Fly safe. # 711 reporting.
Old July 8th 04, 06:03 PM
Quebec Tango

What is with all the start penalties? In the first 2 days 10 folks got
docked a total of 891 points!
John Godfrey (QT)
SSA State Governor for PA Region 3