Wanted: Article from Soaring, March 1998

Old November 13th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake

Default Wanted: Article from Soaring, March 1998

Hi All,

Would anyone be kind enough to send me an electronic copy of the
following article from Soaring, March 1998:
“Putting the Bite into Weak Drum Brakes”, by Tillmann Steckner

I'd like to actually be able to stop my heavy Kestrel 19 when it
lands... without using fixed objects likes trees or fence posts.

TIA,
John
Old November 13th 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Nov 13, 10:21*am, jsbrake wrote:
Hi All,

Would anyone be kind enough to send me an electronic copy of the
following article from Soaring, March 1998:
“Putting the Bite into Weak Drum Brakes”, by Tillmann Steckner

I'd like to actually be able to stop my heavy Kestrel 19 when it
lands... without using fixed objects likes trees or fence posts.

TIA,
John

Don't do it! Send the wheel to Vintage Brake in Sonora California.
The Steckner mod is self energizing but won't release properly once
engaged.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/

Old November 13th 09, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Nov 13, 9:26*am, Tim Taylor wrote:

Don't do it! *Send the wheel to Vintage Brake in Sonora California.
The Steckner mod is self energizing but won't release properly once
engaged.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/

I second Tim's recommendation. Vintage Brake does great work and
they're easy to deal with.

Thanks, Bob K.
www.hpaircraft.com

Old November 13th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Don't do it! *

Roger that!
I saw a ship lock the brake on the runway after installing this stupid
mod. Ever try to move a 20 with a locked brake?
JJ
Old November 13th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Nov 13, 12:26*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
On Nov 13, 10:21*am, jsbrake wrote:

Hi All,

Would anyone be kind enough to send me an electronic copy of the
following article from Soaring, March 1998:
“Putting the Bite into Weak Drum Brakes”, by Tillmann Steckner

I'd like to actually be able to stop my heavy Kestrel 19 when it
lands... without using fixed objects likes trees or fence posts.

TIA,
John

Don't do it! *Send the wheel to Vintage Brake in Sonora California.
The Steckner mod is self energizing but won't release properly once
engaged.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/

The instructions I saw ( a decade prior Tilly's publication)
are explicit about the need to add much bigger return springs
to avoid lockup. Its quite entertaining to watch the results
when this is ignored. "These springs look good enough"...

Best I've seen was an Elfe (same tiny wheel as H201),
where the lockup broke the axle and tost castings, and
the glider slid to a stop on top on top of the wheel,
except the wheel was lying sideways on the pavement.
Very nice !

Other than properly surfacing the brake shoes, check
that the cam has not elongated the hole in the weak
aluminum casting, in which case you want to put
in a strong bushing and get rid of all the slop.

Have fun, and don't forget to post the video of
the first attempt to use the new brake,

Best Regards, "YO electric" *

* "proud owner of an actual functioning wheelbrake"

Old November 14th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

YO, Dave,

Can you switch your electric fan to "reverse thrust" upon landing for
a REALLY short landing, in conjunction with properly functioning wheel
brake?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old November 14th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Nov 13, 7:47*pm, rlovinggood wrote:
YO, Dave,

Can you switch your electric fan to "reverse thrust" upon landing for
a REALLY short landing, in conjunction with properly functioning wheel
brake?

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

If you had ever experienced an actual functioning wheelbrake,
you'd know that this is unnecessary...

See ya, Dave "YO electric"

PS: My wheelbrake actually has a separate component to
*limit* the braking force ! Here's a pictu
http://www.nadler.com/Antares/Antare...ureLimiter.jpg
Imagine needing that !
Old November 14th 09, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lewis Hartswick

Tim Taylor wrote:

Don't do it! Send the wheel to Vintage Brake in Sonora California.
The Steckner mod is self energizing but won't release properly once
engaged.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/

Any company that uses the term "billet" in their ads looks
like they are mainly aimed at the motorcycle crowd. I thought
the soaring community had a bit more intelligence than to
use such language. :-(
...lew...

Old November 14th 09, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_6_]

Tim Taylor wrote:

Don't do it! *Send the wheel to Vintage Brake in Sonora California.
The Steckner mod is self energizing but won't release properly once
engaged.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/

Any company that uses the term "billet" in their ads looks
like they are mainly aimed at the motorcycle crowd. I thought
the soaring community had a bit more intelligence than to
use such language. :-(

yes, they do a lot of brake work on motorcycles. Don't hold that
against them.
They did a great job on my Tost wheel brake and for a good price and
on schedule.
I give Vintage Brake a big thumbs up.
Dan